Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Very confused

Hey all! Been here a little while, mainly to get some coins identified, but I'd really like to understand what everyone's talking about. Can somebody link me somewhere so's I can learn the language?
Here's an example why: while reading some of the older posts, I came across a link (by russ I think) to ebay where it shows that a 1985s JFK half sold for $1400!!!! Excuse me?? According to my book
(The Official RED BOOK), this coin sells for $4 p-65. How is this possible? I realize it has something to do with how it was "graded", which is where I get lost. What is "deep cameo"? And the rest of the description? I'm very curious because I happen to have 2 of these coins.
Sorry to sound like a dope but I know next to nothing when it comes to coins.

Comments

• Options
    moosesrmoosesr Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭
    Here is a link to the PCGS Library that has a lot of articles that can help you learn more about coins and coin grading.Link Here is another link on coin collecting lingo. link

Charlieimage
  • Options
    Welcome to the board...Hang around here, and you will be the benefactor of a wealth of knowledge.

• Options
    J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard. You'll find a lot of anomylies in coin pricing and coin collector
    behavior which seems to defy common sense. Just remember for each of these
    there are some collectors who enjoy the coins and spend their money accordingly.

While most 1985 half dollars are deep cameo and they are generally of very high
    grade, there are differences between the average coin and one struck well from
    new dies which has been well preserved. Most people can learn to see these dif-
    ferences and some people find it a hoot to seek the better pieces.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file