Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CC dollar guys -- a big tease!!!!

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
rainbowroosie April 1, 2003

Comments

• Options
    TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    Looks like a nice coin to me...
    Tom
  • Options
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    That's a pretty cool looking coin as pictured....and a damned rare one too......but boy you'd want to put a loop on it.

GSAGUY

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Looks to be pretty frosty unless the picture was messed with.
    As for pl-dmpl I can't see much reflectivity in the mirrors. Could just be the picture.
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a very nice looking 1880-CC, and it may go "relatively" cheap in the PCI Gold Label Holder. It appears to be a nice 65 PL/DMPL which will probably attract MS-64 PL money on E-Bay in that holder...

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    And of course, some people never learn. A 80-CC "DMPL" in a gold label PCI holder? Yeah, when pigs fly. I am aware of several PCI "DMPL"s being BB'ed for altered surfaces. Not worth the risk to me.
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

I crossed a gold label pci 1880cc ms64dmpl to a pcgs ms63dmpl not too long ago...however, the fields were very hairlined.

I bet that coin's a true dmpl, but has probably been wiped, with hairlines out the yang.
  • Options
    Nice coin! image

Using plain old common sense, the first thing that comes to my mind is, if this is really a coin that trends for $4000, why isn't it in a PCGS or an NGC holder? IMO, any coin $1000 or more should be in one of these two holders. My guess is that the person who had it graded decided on PCI because he/she thought the grade would be higher. Thus, I would assume the grade is at least one point lower, and the DMPL may only be a PL (mirrors have to be at least 6" in depth for PCGS to qualify it as DMPL).
    Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
    imageimage
    Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    Two things I would want to see for sure on that one...

First would be that it could be acid etched. You can't tell without a glass unless it's sloppy.

Second would be whether the dip hurt the coin. It's been dipped, that's obvious.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options

from that pic, what makes it so obvious that it's been dipped?
  • Options
    What dollardude said
    Michael
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭

<< <i>from that pic, what makes it so obvious that it's been dipped? >>

Solid white and has haze all over it from unremoved chemicals.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>from that pic, what makes it so obvious that it's been dipped? >>

Solid white and has haze all over it from unremoved chemicals. >>

That "haze" on the mirrors is characteristic of PL/DMPL Morgans- not a determination of a bad dip. I also find the frost troublesome. See the obverse stars on the left side? Very little, if any contrast compared to the portrait.
    Like others have stated: this one needs a close glass and a sharp eye for a final analysis.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    what good does it do to click on the pic.
    it doesnt re-size the image larger.
    it only put the pic in its own window, BIG DEAL!!!!
    how stupid.
  • Options

i've noticed on many pl morgans that the frost is missing or muted from the lettering/stars, even though present on the central devices. similar to this GSA...

• Options

lettering on the reverse of this GSA Dmpl also displays splotchy/ broken cameo in comparison to the eagle...

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    wow
    looks very frosty.
    i like it.
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Good discussion here. Thanks guys/gals.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    This is a nice coin, but not a MS65DMPL. Look at the obverse just before 12 and just after 6, those appear to be minor rim dings.

imageimage
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    BigGreekBigGreek Posts: 1,090
    The seller says: "RETURN POLICY: Your satisfaction is guaranteed! You have 5 days after receiving your package to notify us you are returning your purchase."

I've purchased NTC/PCI from him before. As long as you know its a weak holder and bid accordingly how can you go wrong. If you don't like it, send it back.

Please check out my eBay auctions!
    My WLH Short Set Registry Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file