Home U.S. Coin Forum

Very confused

Hey all! Been here a little while, mainly to get some coins identified, but I'd really like to understand what everyone's talking about. Can somebody link me somewhere so's I can learn the language?
Here's an example why: while reading some of the older posts, I came across a link (by russ I think) to ebay where it shows that a 1985s JFK half sold for $1400!!!! Excuse me?? According to my book
(The Official RED BOOK), this coin sells for $4 p-65. How is this possible? I realize it has something to do with how it was "graded", which is where I get lost. What is "deep cameo"? And the rest of the description? I'm very curious because I happen to have 2 of these coins.
Sorry to sound like a dope but I know next to nothing when it comes to coins.

Comments

• MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Here try this link

Lingo
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Gargoyle,

Do a search on "condition rarity".image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>Sorry to sound like a dope but I know next to nothing when it comes to coins. >>

Don't worry about that, I guarantee you none of us was born knowing all this and we have all asked similar questions in the past.
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    True, it's always funny to track down the first few messages that people have made here. I was such a newbie when I started posting here. image The best way to learn is to ask questions.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1985s JFK half sold for $1400!!!! >>

The coin was graded PR70DCAM. Want to become even more confused? The same coin, one point lower in PR69DCAM, sells for about $25.

Russ, NCNE
  • Gargoyle, Redbook just doesn't show all the grades of a coin, it usually shows up to like MS67 for moderns and that's it. A proof 70 coin is a PERFECT coin with absolutely no flaws, a strong strike, good eye appeal--everything has to come together just right.
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A proof 70 coin is a PERFECT coin >>

Theoretically. In practical application, there are plenty in 70 holders that do not meet the standard.

Russ, NCNE
  • gargoyle62gargoyle62 Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the help all. Sounds like my coins aren't worth all that much. One of 'em has the deep cameo thing going but has faint scratches on it (guess ya can't expect much more than that when you get your coins out of general circulation). I don't know why this posted twice. I only sent it once. Sorry!
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I could live to be a wise old profound man of 150 years, and on the day that I die I still wouldn't understand why a PR70DCAM sells for $1400 while a PR69DCAM sells for $25. image I guess that's why moderns are the way they are... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file