Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is is Fun or Profit?

I keep reading how people buy raw, unslabbed coins or buy coins in non-mainstream slabs (ACG, PIC, Acutrade, etc.) and then try to have them cross over or upgraded into PCGS or NGC holders.

My question is, after all the disappointments, after all the body bags, after all the downgrades, time spent, is it worth it? What I mean is, when you think back of all the buys and sells, when the final tally is done, have you made money or lost money?

Was it all for profit, or just the thrill of the chase?

After playing the game myself, I've come to the conclusion--just buy nice looking PCGS coins.

Let's hear your story.

Comments

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My question is, after all the disappointments, after all the body bags, after all the downgrades, time spent, is it worth it? >>

If one has a eye for grading and knows what PCGs looks for in a given series for a given grade, the above will hardly ever happen.

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Mostly for me it's the thrill of the chase. I like to have fun with my collection but on the other hand, I want to hand down something very valueble and impressive to someone in the family (or perhaps not) that will appreciate the effort I put into it. I'd like to be remembered for my great collection and kindness. Hopefully that will be many, many years from now.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Much more fun to hunt them down and submit them than it is to buy them already graded. Besides, not everybody can afford to just buy the coins we need already PCGS graded.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    A farmer struggling to keep his farm going hits the lottery. Naturally, he's thrilled. What are you going to do with the money? his neighbors ask. His answer: Are you kidding? Now I can afford to farm for 10 more years!

As a non-dealer, I think this about sums it up for most of us.

-Jay
    small_d

e-mail me here

WINNER:
    POTD 8-30-05 (awarded by dthigpen)
    POTD 9-8-05 (awarded by gsaguy)
    GSAGUY Slam 12-10-04
  • Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭
    For me, a coin show or auction is like a treasure hunt. I'm matching knowledge and wits against the masses and (usually) getting rewarded because I knew something that someone else didn't. Other times, its just having enough confidence to pull the trigger and buy something that someone else ALMOST bought. Pulling that trigger gets harder and harder as the dollars get higher and higher.
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    It's not for profit for me...it's for the enjoyment, learning, teaching, helping others. A community. The money I might or might not make is incidental.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    There is something about buying a coin raw and sending it in, when you get the grade you wanted, or better, it is a real high!

It is the thrill of the hunt and the kill I guess!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    For me it has always been the thrill of the chase.That is fun to me.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Much more fun to hunt them down and submit them than it is to buy them already graded. Besides, not everybody can afford to just buy the coins we need already PCGS graded.

Russ, NCNE >>

I agree with Russ, The hunt is the best and if you can make some money that makes it easier.

Rookie Joe
  • Options
    i only collect for fun
    anita...ana #r-217183...coin collecting noob
  • Options
    I love the chase, but wonder how much longer I can afford it... Pace yourself and you'll learn some tricks along the way...
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Goldfinger: I like your analogy.image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options

<< <i>Is is Fun or Profit? >>

Both.
    J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • Options
    GoldfingerGoldfinger Posts: 319 ✭✭
    Thanks nankraut. That's an old one. I can't take credit for it. I'm not that clever!
    small_d

e-mail me here

WINNER:
    POTD 8-30-05 (awarded by dthigpen)
    POTD 9-8-05 (awarded by gsaguy)
    GSAGUY Slam 12-10-04
  • Options
    It's fun....image
    JoeCool

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji