Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

honus

hey all you high rollers - I know this is a long shot, but do any of you own a Honus Wagner T206? If so, would you share your story on when you acquired it, the condition it is in, and perhaps how much it cost you? Also, what dollar amount would you take for it today. Thanks!

Comments

• Options

found it in my gradnfather's attic when he died

my wife got tired of cards cluttering our house so she made me sell it

then I bought it back on the sly when the other guy had to sell it

then i left my wife and she sold it to get back at me

then I bought it back from that guy when he died and his grandkids found it in his attic

ebay is a treasure trove if you're willing to take a leap of faith and bid!
  • Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 490 ✭✭
    ok, does anybody KNOW of anyone personally that owns one of these precious cards?
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Brian Seigel is an extraordinary nice guy (he reads these boards sometimes....) - but the history of his card, how much he paid, etc. is pretty much famous at this point. Brian is one of the truly nice guys of the hobby.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 490 ✭✭
    Schmidty - his is the only story I have heard of. I am more intrigued by where all those PSA 1's and even ungraded (legitimate) Wagners reside. I honestly think this is a good investment - I can see a day (in a decade or so) where each of these cards sells for a million. What do you think?
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    It's not hard to guess who has at least some of the Wagners....

Bill Mastro owns the PSA 5

Pacific CEO Mike Cramer purchased the PSA 4 -- although that was over 5 years ago, so not 100% sure where it is. I think the one in Cooperstown is supposed to be about Excellent, give or take.

The last PSA 1 was re-holdered (by BMW, I think...?) into an SGC holder, giving SGC the first time they ever graded a Wagner.

Fritsch has at least one - although he is probably more noted for his Doyle NY Nat'l cards. (and Lindstroms...)

I am pretty confident that your general "who's who" list of collectors are all good examples of people who likely own Wagner cards (although I couldn't disclose specific names if I happened to know...)

Many of the ungraded examples are in the hands of those collectors who you've never heard of, probably never will. Million+ collections, started decades before grading companies mattered, and generally under the radar screen on a) the Internet and b) even in many dealer's minds. These people are so far removed from the limelight - and prefer it that way.

The Wagner card will continue to be a huge matter of interest in the hobby. The hobby's most valuable card because of its prestige, mystique, etc., although it is very, very far from being one of the rarest pre-war cards...
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.