Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Will this GSA 1883 CC Morgan go DMPL or is it just a PL?

It just came in the mail and the mirrored fields are extremely deep. The coin itself is 63 shot at 64. The problem with the fields being so reflective is that the bag marks stand out. The rev left wing is frosted in the pic but doesn't look it because of what's reflecting on it.
The fields reflect enough that you can see the letters on the gsa card being held one foot away.
What's also neat is all the die clashes are frosted..on both sides. Hard to tell from the auction pics.

I was going to submit some coins to NGC for grading but if this coin only goes pl I won't. Anyone have any experience on submitting PL or DMPL coins? Will this coin make it(dmpl)?

Thanks ahead

Tom

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks like it might have a chance to me. need better pics though image
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Can one tell from a picture?
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Images are kind of small and fuzzy, but I'd have to go with only PL, not DMPL. Looks like the mirrors get pretty weak around the periphery of the obverse.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trooper: First of all that's a very pretty 1883-CC GSA Morgan! Congratulations on a nice coin image It looks to me like the reverse is a solid MS-64 and the obverse is a shot-64, so the coin's likely either a PQ MS-63 or an MS-64.

As others have already stated in this thread, it's very difficult to determine if a coin's PL/DMPL from a photo, especially when the coin's behind plastic. If I had to guess, I'd agree with Russ and call it a PL because the reverse of the coin appears to be a bit hazy, which if so, would make it a PL.

How do you feel about the coin, and what grade do you think it is ?? image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    can't tell from the picture.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    Russ
    This by far is one of the hardest coins I ever tried to photograph.

Here's a couple more pics. The reflection in the 1 to 3 o'clock position are my fingers.

If these don't help the last one is some goose blinds(LOL) and I give up.....

Thanks all

Tom
  • Options
    Stuart
    Thanks for the comments,
    I actaully just did a stare and compare to a pcgs graded 1888 ms63dpml that i have and it puts the pcgs coin to shame. compared to tha Anacs graded 1880 s ms64 DPML it's right on the money for the field reflection and frosted devices.
    Should of done that before.
    I'll go dmpl, maybe if i see Marty on Sunday I'll let him take a look. I hope it won't be a au58 after he sees it(LOL)
    Thanks
    Tom
  • Options
    Trooper: Remember that PCGS is usually tougher on calling a coin DMPL than either NGC or ANACS -- so, whether or not it grades out as a DMPL may be impacted by the grading service. Since yours is an an original GSA holder I'd keep it there which means if you do want to get it graded in the GSA holder, NGC is your only option.

I've got a couple of drop dead gorgeous 1883-CC and 1884-CC's in GSA holders, and I don't plan to have them certified. I know that they're either something between a 64-PL and a 65 DMPL, and since I'm keeping them that's good enough for me.

Enjoy your new beautiful piece of history!!!

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

• Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Even from those pics, the obverse is a no question DMPL at any service, and you can quote me. What does the reverse look like?

dragon
  • Options
    Stuart
    If PCGS is tougher than Anacs or NGC for DMPL's. Then I by far have the WORST graded DMPL coin in PCGS's history.
    Thanks again and take a look at this baby.
    Tom
  • Options
    Trooper,

Back in the early to mid '90s, PCGS was a LOT more lenient on what passed for DMPL, many DMPL dollars in the earlier PCGS holders would not regrade DMPL if submitted raw today.

dragon
  • Options
    Dragon, here's the reverse. And that explains the crummy 1888.
    The reflection is my hand...

Thanks
    Tom
  • Options
    Ok, now that I see the reverse, it's still a no question DMPL.

dragon
  • Options
    Trooper: Your newer pictures are a lot more revealing than the earlier shots. The coin's reflectivity looks stronger on the newer pix, and it's very likely to be a DMPL.

Stuart

• Options
    BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

Back in the early to mid '90s, PCGS was a LOT more lenient on what passed for DMPL, many DMPL dollars in the earlier PCGS holders would not regrade DMPL if submitted raw today.-----THANK YOU!! finally someone who agrees with me! add PL's to that statement also!

ms63dmpl at ngc--no probs. Nice coin.
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    Lousy pic but looks pretty deep to me. I've also been told that the plastic holds them back a bit.

If you say the fields are extremely deep, then I'll say DMPL.

GSAGUY
  • Options
    I wish I could tell the difference.
    J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    Those mirrors are deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭
    Looks DMPL to me. There's a lot of luster overflow into the fields, seen a lot of CC DMPL's that have that.
  • Options
    Lousy pic is an understatement.

I could've done better with a slate and chunk of charcoal.

GSAGUY
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    I'm familiar with the problems trying to make good images of mirrored coins, and trying to decipher what you are looking at in other people's images. Both are tough to do.

I think it is dmpl, and I don't feel like that is a reach to get there either.
    I brake for ear bars.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file