Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

went to my yn pinewood derby race on friday night....

...and was amazed. many of the cars looked professionally engineered and constructed, to the point that you knew that the kids had absolutely no part in its creation. I was angry! Where was the fun for the kids?

And then it struck me!

I have doing the same thing with my two yn. I started them a registry set of state quarters, currently number 26. But they don't ask to see their coins anymore! I have taken the fun out of it with the slabs for them, and the competitiveness of it all.

I think I might sell this set, and get them a whole lot of whitman folders and a lot of raw coins to look at and study with their magnifying glasses.

By the way, the basis for this set came from frattlaw's yn giveaway last 4th of july, so you all have played a part in their love for coins, and i tahnk you all for that.

jose fernandez

Comments

• Options
    That's a great idea. I got started as a Cub Scout with Whitman folders. I used to look through my parents' change every day for dates I needed. Slabs turn coins into museum pieces. Raw coins are more interactive. I still have the first coin I bought, an 1886 EF seated dime ($4.75).
    small_d

e-mail me here

WINNER:
    POTD 8-30-05 (awarded by dthigpen)
    POTD 9-8-05 (awarded by gsaguy)
    GSAGUY Slam 12-10-04
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>jose fernandez >>

hmmmmmm.........
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    jose luis fernandez, senorita bop!
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Adoro ese nombre, UN Hepcat espanol!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    I loved the PineWood Derby! image Mine was modeled after the Bat-Mobile... but it had to be drilled out because it was too heavy... image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    lucy is flirting with me again, notice how she is winking at me? muchos gracias senorita, but i can't take any credit for the name, it is the only thing my dad ever gave me!
  • Options
    richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    I noticed the same thing at our Pinewood Derby when I was den leader from 1993-1999. I served on the Pinewood Derby committee and can't recall ever having to disqualify anyone because of it. And to keep this topic related, when we held trial runs we would frequently drill shallow holes in the bottoms of the cars and glue quarters or other coins into the holes to make proper weight. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file