Home U.S. Coin Forum

Any Buffalo Nickel Variety Experts out there?

I was wondering if anyone could help with a couple of attributions? I have two Buffalo Nickels. Both are 1917-P's. Upon looking at my Cherrypicker's Guide and comparing the picture in the book with microscope images of both nickels it appears that the two nickels are FS#5c-016.41

There is another variety that is also a DDR (FS#5c-016.4) but it is more dramatically doubled than the variety I mentioned above.

Does anyone think that the pictures of my two nickels look like FS-#5c-016.41?

Also the Cherrypicker's guide gives values as XF$75 and AU$150.
Are these values correct?

My two nickels are AU and VF-EF.

Here are the pics

Comments

• rdunnitrdunnit Posts: 340 ✭✭
    TTT
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have my copy of the CPG in front of me, but those pics look like typical die deterioration rather than a doubled die. I'll try to take a look in the book tonight and reply again.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    It's a stretch. If the variety (doubling) isn't obvious, you'll never see a premium. Buffalo nickels are rather infamous for die deterioration and strike doubling. I have many Buffalos that appear to be doubled dies but are in fact not.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • rdunnitrdunnit Posts: 340 ✭✭
    I was looking around at some of my bookmarks and found this site:
    Link
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I took out my CPG last night, and your coins don't appear to match up with FS-016.641. There is notching on the bottoms of the letters of the DDR, which distinguishes it from the much more commonn die deterioration doubling. BTW, the pic in the link above is the other, stronger DDR, FS-016.64.

I might take this thread as an omen and look at a bunch of 1917 Buffalos in White Plains this afternoon.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file