Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I'm going to buy a digital camera HELP

I'm going to break down and buy a good digital camera, mainly to take pictures of coins has anyone had any luck good or bad with any that are out there
Thank you in advance
Paul

Comments

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    alot of these guys like the OLYMPUS C-5050.

I still haven't jumped on one yet and was hoping one of them would sell theirs to me!image
  • Options
    Olympus C5050image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Believe it or not the Toshiba PDR-M25 takes great close-ups. It's only a 2.2 Megapixel but it works great.
    It's inexpensive too. Last time i looked on eBay they were around $135, brand new.

Good Luck.
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Stay away from Toshibas, their color reproduction is not good.

The camera I use is the Nikon 4300. Olympus, Sony, Canon, and Fuji also make some good DCs. A big consideration is what type of batteries they use, and what type of media they store the images on.
  • Options
    Can someone recommend a low level camera that will take at least decent pics of coins? I'm talkin like less than $200...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    For around $200, I would look into some of the Fuji cameras. They make a couple in that range that appear to have very good macro capabilities, which is what you need for coins.
  • Options
    K6AZ ........... The one i use works great. I don't have to screw with the colors at all when i import to the Photoshop program i use.
    For a relatively cheap Digital i think it's a bargain.

If a person has a fair amount of money to spend then of course i would recommend a higher dollar camera. Something with higher Megapixels. One thing i have noticed tho is that price can sometimes not relate to quality in all aspects of a cameras abilities.

Some take better long range shots than others and vica-versa.

• Options
    I speak from experience, I own a PDR M65, and it sucks for coins.

Show us a picture taken with yours.
  • Options
  • Options
    While those images beat a scanner, I can tell they were done with a Toshiba. Toshibas just don't have the vivid color reproduction that other cameras do. There are Fuji cameras in that price range that do much better.

Here is an example of what the Nikon can do. No editing whatsoever, just cropped and sized.

• Options
    Olympus C5050image

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    GTOsterGTOster Posts: 861 ✭✭✭
    ss 350
    They are some real nice pictures

I will have to go out and see about that Fiji ,Toshiba ,and the Olympus Thanks for all the help I will let everyone know how I make out and to also post some pictures

Thanks
    Paul
  • Options
    ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    I just bought a Nikon 4300

the camera was hand held and once I get the lighting down I'll do a lot better

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    You guy's are not making this very EASY
    Keep them coming
    Paul
  • Options
    ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    k6az

What kinda lighting did you use for the morgan pic ??

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nikon 5400.

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    K6az
    NICE NICE NICE!!!!!!
    we just might have a winner
    Paul
  • Options
    These are all taken with my Toshiba PDR M70 under natural sunlight.

The next camera I get will have to be an 8 megapixel medium format thing with incredible optics. For now, this thing isn't too bad.

However, if I had to do it over again, I probably would go for a Canon or Nikon. Maybe even an Olympus. At the time though, Toshiba sent me a $225 gift card as part of the floppy drive class action lawsuit settlement, so I decided to apply it toward a digital camera.

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Taken with an Olympus 5050C zoom

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Another

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    5 Mpixels will give huge pictures if need be. These started at about 1100 X 1100, I shrunk em down to 800X800.

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options

<< <i>k6az

What kinda lighting did you use for the morgan pic ??

Herb >>

I'm using four 75w Reveal bulbs in a Testrite copy stand.
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

I'm considering upgrading also. I use a Sony (P50 3x/6x macro 2.1--older type) and it totally Sucks for coin pics, however it's an awesome camera for other activities....simple to use, batteries last forever, and memory stick is nice medium. Perhaps the newer Sony DC's are an improvement.

K6, great color resolution! however the pic looks a little out of focus on the top (compare letters in "states" to "one")....perhaps the coin was tilted a little?

Irish, same focus dealio with the IHC you posted...left side vs. right.

I really like the clarity of Cosmic's pics...

good post.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with K6AZ about the Toshibas, I'd stay away from them. The Olympus rocks but is pretty expensive. I use a Sony Mavica, really good quality pics and there are many versions of the camera available from sorta expensive to pretty cheap for an older model. The below pics I took with my Mavica. For a hint - use a 5x loop infront of the cameras lens for those super duper close up shots image

• Options
    Clad !! Awesome close-up image
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    I'm having a blast with my OLYMPUS C740 ultra zoom.

Consider what kind of memory card it will use. Mine uses a Dx type and it is small but not very conventional. Of course I never take it out but if I did I would use a card reader on my computer. It is fast at the download with 40 pics at 2000x1500dpi in less thean a minute.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Clad !! Awesome close-up >>

It's all about the loop man...stick a 5x loop right up next to your lens and it works magic image
  • Options
    First of all thanks for the thread GTOster, I had been using the search engine to find a thread like this but had no luck.

Has anybody heard anything good or bad about Gateway's new 5 mp digital camera that sells for $299 (after rebate). It does have a macro setting.

thanks,

wally
  • Options
    imageimage
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Canon EOS 10D -- this is a 6.3 megapixel digital SLR -- I use a Sigma 60mm macro. Canon recently came out with the digital Rebel. This is also 6.3 megapixel and allows complete flexibility. I purchased the 10D and love it. Not only can I take great closeups of my coins but my experience opened up yet another hobby - photography.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I have had very good results with my Nikon:

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    My PixeLink does what I want it to...

imageimage
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    I noticed no one mentioned Kodak cameras. Are they any good?
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a Kodak 3.1 megapixel. Too temperamental with the lighting, catch it right and its awesome but I jump thru hoops sometimes and still can't nail it. The macro setting is not up to snuff in my opinion. But sometimes....
    imageimageimage
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    i'm extremely happy with my canon s400
    anita...ana #r-217183...coin collecting noob
  • Options
    Olympus C-5050 is a very good camera, esp. for closeups. Great detail. I don't have a tenth of the photographic skills and knowledge of the people here, but here's what I took on the supermacro setting shooting some pictures outside. Spent about 2 minutes shooting these, i.e. zero setup.

Realtime National Debt Clock:

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nokia cell phone....image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭
    FujiFinepix A203 - 2 Megapixels

Works pretty good but still playing with the settings.

• Options
    One thing to consider when choosing a camera is the media type it uses. I love my Sony Mavica because it uses floppy disks, and is very convenient. You don't have to plug it in to the computer, and you can actually copy the complete floppy and give someone a copy when you aren't even near a computer. I bought mine in '99, and I am sure that they probably have some great new ones out. Mine has held up very well for being 5 years old - and it is constantly in use. Someday soon, I may sell it and upgrade to a newer model, but will probably stay with the Sony because it has been a good camera.
  • Options
    nepbrs44nepbrs44 Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Nikon CoolPix 4300

Bill.

Bust Half & FSB Merc Collector
  • Options
    Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016
    now that is excellent pictures man! The pic on the bottom is mad sweet.

PURPLE!

• Options
    BigGreekBigGreek Posts: 1,090
    I'm using a Fuji Finepix S5000. Street prices are in mid-200s.
    You can buy a cheap set of close-up lenses for about $40.

I'd really like to get a Canon EOS Rebel or another digital SLR
    but now you're looking at $1000.
    Please check out my eBay auctions!
    My WLH Short Set Registry Collection
  • Options

I wonder if something like this Fuji Camera would be good for imaging coins.
  • Options
    GoldfingerGoldfinger Posts: 319 ✭✭
    JRocco, I don't know what that coin is, but it's fantastic.

Now I have to sell some coins, so I can buy a better camera. And lights. So then I'll be able to sell some more coins.
    small_d

e-mail me here

WINNER:
    POTD 8-30-05 (awarded by dthigpen)
    POTD 9-8-05 (awarded by gsaguy)
    GSAGUY Slam 12-10-04
  • Options
    JRocco, amazing coin...the 3d effect is awesome...what coin is that?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file