Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS and Toned Jeffersons? Past topic brought back..

I did a search and read a post that says PCGS just started bodybagging toned jeffersons but the post was from Mid 2003... Link to past post I have a few I wish to send in but now... image Anyone have some insight on this?

Comments

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny, I just picked up a couple of those fluorescent purple ones like Russ posted to the other thread, so I'm curious to hear where this goes too.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    NGC will sometimes grade them. PCGS will not.
  • FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    Both services will grade coins that are "market acceptable" in their toning. Bizzarre toning, even if it comes right out of the cello of a proof set, isn't being graded.

I got this one graded not too long ago at NGC - it's pastel toning and it's hard to argue it's authenticity.

• RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    They only get bodybagged if they look like they came from The Marty Hoard. image

Russ, NCNE
    I have seen Marty hoard nickels that have been recently NGC graded.
  • nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭
    So would toning like this fly, probably not huh? I have a few that I wanted to have slabbed with the same type of toning.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    some events from the past six months lead me to believe that the PCGS/NGC decision to stop grading those coins may have been a wise one.

al h.image
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So would toning like this fly >>

I think you'd be fine with that one.

Russ, NCNE
  • clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    What if you send them in mint celo?

<< <i>some events from the past six months lead me to believe that the PCGS/NGC decision to stop grading those coins may have been a wise one. >>

how would you explain recently graded (past 3 months) Marty Hoard nickels by NGC?
    to make sure you know what I am saying is that NGC has been grading these jeffersons recently.
  • baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    Noobie - Looks like perfectly acceptable toning to me. I just pulled quite a few out of an early Dansco album that looked just like that.

The proof Jeffs can do some strange things. IMO, very difficult to judge whether they're AT or not. I think PCGS is covering their hind quarters for this reason.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
    how would you explain recently graded (past 3 months) Marty Hoard nickels by NGC?
    to make sure you know what I am saying is that NGC has been grading these jeffersons recently.

just to be clear, i've posted before but i'll do so again..........i don't trust the authenticity of these intensely vibrant coins. the reasons aren't really important to anyone else and i don't see a need to be a crusader about the AT issue as other members have.

al h.image

<< <i>PCGS/NGC decision to stop grading those coins >>

you missed my point. you stated that NGC stopped grading these which is false. I am not disputing the AT/NT issue just that NGC has been grading a few of these.
    hey JB

both PCGS and NGC had stopped holdering the coins sometime last summer. evidentally NGC has resumed and i doubt the wisdom of that decision.

al h.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file