Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

If you send a Topps wax tray in for grading...

..will they literally put the grading sticker directly on the pack?? That's what appears to be the case here.

Comments

• Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    it says that this is done because they did
    not have a slab the right size to hold it.

and the excellent Customer Service that GAI has...
    instead of telling anyone that, or sending it back
    to the customer and refunding the grading fees,
    they just stuck a sticker on the dang tray!!

imageimage
  • Options
    i'd think they could make a holder for that...they have gai holders for full wax cases (though i haven't seen many up on ebay), so why not make 1 for wax trays? the sticker on the tray seems tacky- and prone to possible fraud.
  • Options
    Wow, doesn't that look professional image Couldn't even put the "sticker" on straight. I would be Pi$$ed if I got it back like this!

Ken
    Ken's 1934 Goudey Registry Set
    - Slowly (Very Slowly) Working On A 1952 Topps Raw Set (Lower Grade)
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, doesn't that look professional Couldn't even put the "sticker" on straight. >>

That's probably why he is dumping it on ebay - altho that is a hefty minimum - the whole esthetic quality of the tray is RUINED by that tacky crooked sticker! The worst. They could've emailed the person and told them the problem - disappointing.
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    That looks awful, and if it's legit, then GAI should be embarassed.

Also, the bid is up to $80 already...why? These type of wax trays are readily available for $40-$45 "ungraded"...does GAI slapping a sticker on it really justify the premium? (I am sure this will end over $100).
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    what's sad is someone is paying $80 for a $30 rack with a sticker on top. sometimes I just don't get what goes through the guys heads at gai. I have seen cases like this a few times. they could have at least stuck it on the back
  • Options
    Here is another attractive GAI holder, I believe it is a ziplock bag.

GAI Ziplock

Why would GAI do stuff like this? I buy mostly non sport packs, and some hockey but have avoided buying GAI packs because they don't seem to follow their own grading standards. like this pack here.

<< <i>Global NM-MT (8)
    A nearly flawless pack. While the corners appear flawless, upon closer inspection, this pack may have one or more corners with a light wrinkle or wear . There may be a few other minor flaws including print marks, a light stain, or light surface scratches. Centering must be 90-10 or better. >>

is this 90/10 centering or better? I've also seen GAI 9 pack recently that had a hole on the back that look like a cigarette burn and other packs you can see from the scans have card sticking out of a corner still get 8's??? I guess if your buying sports packs, you want to be assured that they haven't been opened you might go for these packs. But my question is, if they can miss, and or don't follow their own grading standards like some of the stuff I've seen, how sure can you bethat they can figure out if a pack been resealed?

-Mike