Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

HOCKEY Parkhurst vs Topps

Hey Guys

Can you believe it, another hockey thread.

Is it me or does there seem to be a he!!uva lot more 50's and 60's Parkhurst hockey circulating through the hobby than the Topps cards from the same era. This observation extends to raw cards as well.

Is there any info on which of the two brands had the higher production numbers, perhaps this may have even varied from year to year.
Can anyone tell me if Parkhurst hockey was distributed and sold in US corner stores in the 50's and 60's.
If so, we're they widely available or perhaps only available on the east coast. Also, we're Topps cards readily available in Canadian stores along side the Parkies?
I have also noticed that on Ebay a lot of American sellers including many on the west coast appear to have a lot more high grade Parkhurst hockey cards than their Topps counterparts.

Look forward to any responses.

Also, I joined the HOF player set on the registry, looks like a lot of fun. I like the any card from any year idea.

Have a great day...

Rob..image
Collecting PSA Vintage Hockey

Comments

• Options
    zsz70zsz70 Posts: 541
    Rob,

I've been thinking the same thing. I am amazed at how much parkhurst is available in
    graded and raw form compared to the topps product.

I have absolutely no expertise on this subject however.
    I can only contribute that I have seen a little more parkhurst over
    the years than topps. I must emphasize A LITTLE MORE.

The POP reports in my opinion are the best source to find out what
    currently is the toughest product to get. Of course, that can change.

marc
  • Options
    i always thought the answer lied in the fact that Parkhurst was created and distributed for the Canadian market (focusing on the Leafs and Habs) and Topps was created and distributed for the American market (US teams). especially in the 50s, i would figure that hockey was far more popular in Canada, therefore more Parkhurst cards produced for that market
  • Options
    zsz70zsz70 Posts: 541
    Will,

That's true, but what's amazing is that there were more people in New York City
    alone than in the entire country of Canada back in the 60's.

That's not even including Chicago, Boston, and Detroit.

It really is an awesome question that could never be answered.
    I still think the POP's are the best way to determine for now what is the tougher product.

marc
  • Options
    Rob

I dont have the answer to your question but i feel we are going to see more Topps hockey hit the pop report 1957-1965 than we are parkhurst from 1951-1963 in the next few years . Great question i hope someone can provide some insight.

Congrats on adding some cards to the Hall of Fame registry , I just did the same thing so i could see some pics of my 71-72's without having to open up my set.

As a side note Rob . I noticed you added 69-70 Bryan Hextall to your Hall of Fame set . He is not the Hall of Fame Bryan Hextall. Another one i saw was someone had a v145-1 William Red Stuart listed in there Hall of Fame set as William Hod Stuart(gobosox maybe?) not the same guy .

Randy
  • Options
    Randy

That's pretty funny about the Hextall. I wonder why the registry accepted the card. I'll remove it soon to protect the integrity of this whole registry thing.image

One other thing I noticed was that any cards from my 62 Parkhurst set that had scans up automatically posted the scans in the HOF set when I registered them there.

I really like the HOF set format, I think all of the hockey guy's should get involved.

Thanks again Randy for the heads up on the Hextallimage

Rob...
    Collecting PSA Vintage Hockey
  • Options
    Rob

The Bryan Hextall mixup is common on ebay. I collect alot of Hall of Fame items and i hate it when i open up an item and it says Bryan Hextall Hall of Fame and its the wrong guy

Im guessing the registry didnt catch it because they probably dont know any better there in California not Canada remember image