Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The One Card That You Have Always Regretted Selling(And Why)

On a previous thread, Jay used this phrase and I thought it would be an interesting discussion.I bought a very large vintage collection around 1989 and there was among other things a real GEM 56 Mantle.To this day and probably forever I will kick myself for parting with that card.I am building a 56 set and as I look back as to why I chose that set, that card is my entire reason.It was my first Mantle as well as being a screamer.Ah,To turn back the hands of time.

Vic
Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.

Comments

• Options
    ranchranch Posts: 341
    I once owned a SP Authentic Marion Gaborik RC, I sold it for $45. After a year, it was going for around $300(raw), I was a little disspointed with myself(earning $300 is not a joke, especially if you work at KFC). image
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I sold a 1960 Mays PSA 6. It was a card I had as a kid. I would pay double to get the exact one back.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    1939 PlayBall rookie card of Ted Williams (NM or better in raw condition). I sold it in 1979 for $16. Oh well.
  • Options
    My 1984 Dan Marino rookie card. It was a thing of beauty, Perfectly centered and sharp all around. I traded it back in '91 for a box of Upper Deck hockey. How I would love to have that card back. I thought I was getting a steal, then again I was only 11.
  • Options
    80-81 Topps Bird/Magic card that I sold to Mr Mint at a show in KC. He paid me $300 for it because it was a real beauty. It would probably grade out a 9 by PSA. I've regretted doing that since the day it did it.
  • Options
    I have a borderline obsessive/compulsive personality so I have never sold of a baseball card that I did not have in duplicate. (I also have an attic full of junk that I can't bear to throw out but that's another story.)

The only card that I used to have that I don't today is a 1967 Mickey Mantle. I gave it to my sister as a gift at Mickey Mantle's restaurant where we ate after she passed the bar examination. He was her favorite player growing up. Ironically, she has since moved out of the country and let her license lapse. I guess I should have given her a savings bond or a plant or something.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh man, I don't know that I can pin it down to one, but here are a few that I sold in 1989, to raise money to buy a car and furnish an apartment when the Air Force transferred me to San Antonio from Germanyimage I don't know that I really regret selling them, since it was the right thing to do at the time, I just regret that I was in the position where I had to sell them. I've always wished I had just held 1 or 2 of 'em back thoughimage

T3 Walter Johnson
    T227 Ty Cobb
    N28, N162 and N172 Mike Kelly
    1954 Bowman and 1941 Playball Ted Williams
    1954 Topps Hank Aaron
    1952 Bowman Mickey Mantle
    Every T206 HOFer (except Wagner and Plank, of course) (I've since replaced nearly all of 'em, this time PSA graded)
    E90-2 Honus Wagner (since replaced in GAI 2)
    1953 and 1955 Topps baseball complete sets

Steve

• Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    '33 ice kings duke dutkowski psa 5.

i owned it and never started the set until after i sold it.
    it is still the only one psa has graded and i need it to complete my set image
  • Options
    ranchranch Posts: 341

<< <i>1939 PlayBall rookie card of Ted Williams (NM or better in raw condition). I sold it in 1979 for $16. Oh well. >>

• Options
    The attached Yaz card, it was sold as "Topps Tradin" 1979, a set that depicted former Little League players. Anyone seen these (did the file show?) Of course, from an investment point of view, there are scores of cards in which I pull out my hair in regret.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    1420sports,

Have you ever tried to track it down? I have to assume you don't have the cert# or remember who you sold it to. I wish I could have back many of the cards I had as a kid, some where lost and other sold at a yard sale once. they were ungraded of course so I have no chance of ever finding them. But you on the other hand, I think, stand a chance of finding yours. It being a 6 probably will make it easier for you to recognize it, as it will have some sort of unique wear and centering ect... I wish you luck.

-Mike
  • Options

<< <i>The attached Yaz card, it was sold as "Topps Tradin" 1979, a set that depicted former Little League players. Anyone seen these (did the file show?) Of course, from an investment point of view, there are scores of cards in which I pull out my hair in regret. >>

what is that thing?
  • Options
    mrc32mrc32 Posts: 604
    1958 Roger MAris in GD condition
    1960 McCovey RC trade for a Canseco rookie.
    1958 Hank Aaron in VG condition

All were traded or sold for Modern cards back in the late 80s. I wish I had them back. They were my Dads.
  • Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    In 1990 I traded the finest 1971 Topps Nolan Ryan card I had ever seen (or have seen since) for a box of 1990 Leaf series 1. A fair deal at the time. I still have the Leaf cards, I wish I had the Ryanimage
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    I submitted this card to PSA in 2002. Out of several thousand cards, it is the only PSA 10 ever graded from the Civil War News Set. Having the only one of something is a special feeling. Sadly, it sold with the rest of my set.

Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Nolan Ryan Rookie. I bought it in 1982 for $7, sold it for $30 in 1985. I was 14 when I sold it, it was a lot of money. Of course, a couple years later, that same card was still sitting in the dealer's case with a $600 price tag on it. I had nearly complete runs of Ryan, Brooks Robinson, and other great now-vintage singles that I sold off for cash in the mid-80s before I was able to get a job, but liked buying albums and comics.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    T 206 Jack Chesbro, I sold it back in 1986 for around 20.00 Id say it was in vg/ex condition. other then that I have no regrets in any card / collectable that I ever sold. The hobby (ies) have been good to me.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    markmacmarkmac Posts: 412 ✭✭✭
    1970 Topps Lew Alcindor SGC 92. I bought it raw at a Raleigh show and it was a screamer. This was before PSA graded the tall boys. I will always wonder if it would have been a 9.
  • Options
    1953 Topps Mantle in PSA 8. This card was a screamer with a great bottom red corner. Also, I bought a raw '86 Jordan rookie that I sent in to PSA that was mint beyond belief, and was graded as such. Did well on both deals but it is like sending kids off to college - for years you can't wait until they leave and when they do you want them back.
    "Why is it that Superman could stop a bullet with his chest, yet he ducked when somebody threw a chair at him?"
    "
    " Go ahead and get your fancy barely visible cell phones that get the internet, play DVD's, and can speak 5 languages. As for me and my Atari cell phone it works, it weighs 7 pounds, it is 14 inches long, and it looks like I could call in an airstrike from a remote desert it is so large!"
  • Options
    1962 Mantle in great shape for a Rack case of 87 Topps. I really wanted a bunch of Cansecos and Incaviglias. Ugh.
    Collecting:
    Bo Jackson Basic(#1) and Master(#1)
    Bob Feller Basic(#4)
    Sam McDowell Basic(#1)
    2004 Cracker Jack Master

My Ebay Store
  • Options
    Not exactly a card, and everyone has probably heard my sob story on the Beckett boards, but...

This was back when I finally had enough disposable income to buy wax, since I was fairly penniless as a kid. I hung on to it for a month or two, then sold it for $710 on that big auction website. It probably would go for more now, but that's not what makes me sad. It's an item that I should have kept because it was amazing.

What did I do with the cash money, you ask? Oh, I spent it on more dumb wax, of course. Let this be a lesson to those that are caught in the cycle of buy wax, sell the good stuff, then buy more wax. It ain't worth it.
    Police: Are you classified as human?

Korben Dallas: Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
  • Options
    Sniffle-sniffle...

A 93 Jeter SP that ended up being the fourth PSA 10 in existance. The guy got $3500 for it (within a year they were selling for $15000). I got $18 for it. Sniffle.
    Baseball Card Heaven, the closest card shop to the Las Vegas Strip.

Our current ebay auctions, and of course BaseBallCardHeaven.com
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Sold a raw 1940 #1 Joe DiMaggio that would have graded a PSA 8 - wish I had that one to sell again.
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    a Pujols Chrome BGS 8.5. sold it for $250, now im sure its selling for over a grand.

i also had another, higher graded, Pujols chrome rookie. but im not getting in to that
  • Options
    We all have had cards from time to time slip through our fingers. When I was building my 1960 set in the PSA registry I routinely sold cards of players I liked from other years in my quest to build the second 8.0 complete 1960 set. After having completed that quest I have since gone back and gotten some those cards. The one card that I let get away was a PSA 8 1958 Willie Mays. It was a sweet card!
    Mike Miller
    Yankee Collector 1958-60
    Retired complete 1960 Topps set
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    When I first got back into collecting in 1978, I traded a 1960 Post Cereal Mickey Mantle for some 1957 Topps baseball cards. The Mantle was one of those big panels that came out that year. It was in perfect condition. The '57's I got in return were pretty much worthless with soft corners, writing on the back, etc. My all time dumbest trade which happened to be my first trade.
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

1) A NM '65 Rose, which I traded in 1987 at a show for a 1985 Topps Tiffany Mattingly and 5 1987 Topps Tiffany Greenwells.
    2) A 1978 Rak pack with Eddie Murray on the front, which I sold for 35 bucks in 1988
    3) A NM 73 Schmidt which I traded in 1986 for--ahem-- 15 Topps Alvin Davis RC's and a 1984 TT Gooden.