Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

How do you choose what to put in your Hall of Famer set?

I made a couple updates to my Baseball Hall of Fame Player set today, which got me thinking about the ways to decide how to build that set for registry purposes.

Which of these options do you do?

Nick
Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.

Comments

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't started posting my HOF set yet, but I've been contemplating this also. I'm not entirely sure whether I want just rookie cards, or for instance with Yogi Berra, would I go with his rookie card (1948 Bowman) or a nicer looking card like 1953 Bowman? Or maybe a better example is do you go with a player's (multi player) rookie like the 1973 Mike Schmidt, or with his first single card like the 1974? image

I'd be very interested in hearing what everyone else thinks on this subject.

Steve
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just thought of something else...

What's gonna happen if Alan Trammell gets in the HOF? For instance, Paul Molitor is already in the HOF. They share the same rookie card. If Trammell gets in, will PSA allow the same card to be posted twice (once for each player) in the same set? Or will we be required to pick up another card to represent Trammell?

Steve
  • Options
    i would think the last card would be appropriate b/c it would have most, or all, of the stats -- and be much cheaper than the rookies
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I am listed on the HOF Player set, but I have been selling/trading some. My goal was to have each player depicted on a card issued during the players career. For me, that is a big challenge.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    For my baseball Hall of Fame set I am trying to find in raw or graded by the major companies post-war rookie cards in NM or better condition. For the pre-war I am just looking for a card of the Hall of Famer from his playing days.

For my basketball Hall of Fame set, I simply register the highest graded card I have of that player regardless. However, I only started doing that once the Hall of Fame rookie set came out and I put all of the rookie cards I owned in that set.

The Bird/Magic rookie card is used for both players in the Hall of Fame rookie set and the 50 greatest players of all-time set so I imagine that you could include both Trammell and Molitor + I have both Chance and Evers from the T201 set registered using the same card.
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    There are two types of people in the world -- those that put people into two types, and those that don't. I am neither.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Nick:

All your choices makes my head dizzy.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    mikeschmidt - hand your baby to your wife while looking at the poll. image

The inspiration for this thread was my noticing that I was updating my HOF set and replacing a 7 with another 7 and an 8 with a 5, dropping me just enough points to fall from 18th to 19th on the HOF registry. My replacements were Hoyt Wilhelm - '69T PSA7 replaced with '56T PSA 7, and Bob Lemon - '72T (as a manager) PSA8 replaced with '54B PSA5 (but a nice 5). I'm not exactly worried about the loss of registry points (especially as I have several more HOFers on the way to add to the set), but it was interesting to consider why I choose the cards I do. [I go by value in current grade.]

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    i do e-ne me-ne mi-ne moe j/k actually my vote was for the one I liked the looks of most.................but the last one would be a good bet too, as mentioned above will have the career stats of the player.

Good for you.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Nick, the choice of the 54 Bob Lemon PSA 5 is what I would have done. He was a player then, and not a manager. Plus, the Giants won the series that year. I would look more to those aspects than a grade. I personally do not care about "points", but that is mainly due to the fact that I cannot afford them! image

collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    The Bobs: "There are two types of people in the world -- those that put people into two types, and those that don't. I am neither. "

That line cracked me up. Thanks for the laugh.

Brent

Collecting:
    Bo Jackson Basic(#1) and Master(#1)
    Bob Feller Basic(#4)
    Sam McDowell Basic(#1)
    2004 Cracker Jack Master

My Ebay Store
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    I started a HOF set about six months ago (it's not registered yet). I'm about 35% done. I started my set a little different. I created a list from the most recently active HOFers. This way, I worked on the easy HOF'ers first. I also set minimums on grades. If the player played in the 90's or 80's, the card needs to be a 9 or better, 70's is a 8, 60's is a 7, etc.

I've enjoyed putting the set together this way. I've worked my way back to the 1950's players and it's beginning to get a little more expensive now, but I am loving the search.
    Jim
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers