Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hell's Bells - Monster Toned Franklin Half

AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
I bought a collection of several BU Franklin rolls at the shop today and cherry picked this little doll. It is a 1962 with the most beautiful roll toning I have ever seen on a Franklin! My poor photo does not begin to do this coin justice. The toning is much more subtle in terms of blending than it looks in the photo and this coin is dripping with luster. The toning looks like it is under the luster, almost like colors under a sea of crystal water. At any rate the center is gold which changes to orange and then to light red and purple as you move out to the edge. The coin only grades 62 or perhaps 63, but what it lacks in grade it more than makes up for in overall look!

Just thought I'd share my find.image

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
1987-C Hendersonville Road
Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

Comments

• Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    You sir - SUCK!!!

What a gorgeous Frankie! Congratulations! image
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Looks like someone left lipstick on that puppy.

OK, whose been kissing the eagle?image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like someone left lipstick on that puppy.

OK, whose been kissing the eagle?image >>

Lucy... image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dayum! where is the on/off switch on that badboy?

nice coin man!
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Now, If the front only matched the reverse.....................of such things dreams are made.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    I think if you dip one in a straberry jelly donut they come out the same color Bear.
  • Options

<< <i>Now, If the front only matched the reverse.....................of such things dreams are made. >>

I tell ya, I'd kill for that, but alas the Obverse is 100% white.

BTW - My wfe tells me that the pic looks more red than the coin.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Still - a red Frankie - especially from the 60's is a rare find indeed!
  • Options

<< <i>Still - a red Frankie - especially from the 60's is a rare find indeed! >>

I am red-green color blind, so I feel really out of my element here, but my wife says it is gold, pink, lavender and purple.

I have no idea what lavender even is????image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>gold, pink, lavender and purple >>

Those are Nancyboy colors - better not let anyone in the Open Forum find out you have such a thing! image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>gold, pink, lavender and purple >>

Those are Nancyboy colors - better not let anyone in the Open Forum find out you have such a thing! image >>

Geez, I better get rid of this sissy coin!image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    I don't see the cord...How do you plug it in? image
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭✭
    62 was my birthyear.

(the author enjoys sissy gifts like this image)
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    outstanding, and a wonderful themed coin -- a "red scare" 1962 as explosive as the missile crisis.

curious-- where in the roll was this positioned and what are the neighboring coins like?

cheers, alan mendelson
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Awesome coin. I'd consign to greattoning on eBay.image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭
    I've got a couple of Pinkish-Red Franklins from proof sets. The Roosies were toned the same color and in both cases, are even more red then the Frankies. 1 Set of them(Roosie and Frankie) is slabbed with both coins being PR66. The color on them is nice, but they have darker spots on em. Interestingly enough, both of these proof sets had busted inside seams letting the coins all slide around together. I speculate it was the copper in the Lincoln that caused the colors. None-the-less, thats why I bought the second set....Frank(dapugwhatsmokesceegars) saw them at the last Marietta show.

I like this one in the thread though.
    imageimage

• Options
    Jeff - Your proof sets are indeed nice! I've seen some red silver proof coins from the 1960s, even a few SMS sets that had red/reddish Kennedies. I don't know if this had to do with planchet preparation or a reaction to the silver to a particular type of plastic. But either way, they're cool looking. Business strike material on the other hand, especially from the 60's is rather unusual to come in this color.
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, I never considered bad planchet prep......I like the one Athelred posted......would love to see a pic with less harsh lighting.
    imageimage

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    I love it!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Will it get a RD designation when slabbed? image
    Dave - Durham, NC
  • Options
    Nice.....image
    JoeCool
  • Options

<< <i>Hmm, I never considered bad planchet prep......I like the one Athelred posted......would love to see a pic with less harsh lighting. >>

I am going to work on some photos with a little less light tonight, my batteries were about to die yesterday so I did a rush job.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file