Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1960 madness

image You guys who wanted a thread on 60's baseball want to see why their isn't much to say the collectors of 60's don't even read the pop. report!Item #2795751222 colivato listed as psa 1 of 1 approx. 100 graded a non hall of famer altough a star and very popular sells for a whopping $1132. Smr 250! and the pop. actually shows two . Its great for the seller but this is nuts.Anyone out there have the second one I would be interested at about double smr!

Comments

• Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

You have to do your homework before you bid....
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    Here's the link.

Tony,

This is a pop 2 PSA 9 card from a highly collected set. I can guarantee you that the next one on ebay will go for as much, if not more! Never underestimate the power of the "Set Registry" to influence bidding, especially among high grade vintage collectors.

BTW, let me know what PSA 8s you have available.

Thanks.

JEB.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    yeah I saw that while bidding on some 65's skerbe had on tonite, wow over 1 k for that card and he claims it was a 1/1 Ive dealt with Dennis b4 I do not think he would delib mislead anyone hmmmm like john sez u gonna bid that much do some homework.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    60's are not the only sets this happpens to...the regisrty does have alot of power....card #205 Gene Fresee is smr'd for 1000.00 in a 8..last ebay auction ended at 2400.00...go figure
  • Options
    I think the new pop came out today because I've bought many pop. two's from him.Jeb for this card its alot of money of course its what ever you are willing to pay is what its worth but in the set itself its not in the top20% in rarity to pay 4x smr. I love 9's but when its that ridiculious I will own an 8.I learned that from M.F.
  • Options
    For some reason a few months ago the 1960 Topps cards went on fire...one collector I know that had a complete 8 set sold all his low pop commons in 8's for way, way, way over book...he told me he had to...because it was just silly...the Registry has created some real monsters out there...price is no object...they want to be #1...or whatever...

And since he wasn't particularily attached to the set...he figured that he'd get "his" while the getting was good...it has died down some...but not entirely...your example just confirms that...
    Henri
    Collector
    Topps 58,59,60,61,62,63,64 Sets
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • Options
    Henri,It was fun to watch I bought approx. ten 9's for less then the 8's they were fighting for at the exact same time. Tony
  • Options
    Tony...I refuse to buy the grade...I'm centered-challenged...I can't stand looking at cards that aren't perfectly centered...when I find them...then it's like I took drugs or something...I go off...whether it's a 7, 8 or 9...I've got to have it...I could have had my 58 and 59 sets completed sometime ago if it weren't for that...and now I'm just starting on the 60's and I'm caught in the "twilght-zone" pricing...I have bought a few common 8's under $20 each though and that was exciting...
    Henri
    Collector
    Topps 58,59,60,61,62,63,64 Sets
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • Options
    Your right and 60's are not centered but thats why I started the guy who sold me my first 15 -9's were 50-50 all around now I settle for anything just to add to the set.Getting your 8's under $20 is great you can do alot of damage if you can get 200 commons in that price range which is possible with the amount of 8's out there and they look great. T
  • Options
    Hearing you guys talk, I may have to actually start slabbing some of the nice 60's that I have raw. Not to sell, but it is nice to "increase the value". I don't think I will collect this set anytime soon though. Everytime that I do a study on low pop cards for 60 thru 69, 1960 leads the way with the most and the lowest pop's in BB from the era. Since I like to be near the top, I'll wait a bit and keep investing in gasoline for the car. Geeeeezzzz.
    No one mentioned about Colovito that he has a near cult-like following unlike many other stars. There are some real hard cores that collect Colovito stuff. Many more than you would expect for a star of this magnitude. I suspect that had something to do with the price as well as the registry. A little homework on the top bidders would show if they have sets even listed.
    Good Luck guys,
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Why wouldn't there be a lot of hardcore Colavito collectors? He was one of the 3 big sluggers of the late '50s who is not a HOFer (the others being Hodges and Kluszewski). They all have stronger followings than most of the non-power hitting HOFers.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.