Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Lincoln error, weird!

I was going through bag of cents. Here's what I found, the reverse is fine, Lincoln memorial etc., in fact quite clear with red color. But then flip it over on the obverse OH BOY, it is almost smooth, No writting is visible, you can faintly see the out line of Lincoln's bust AND you can see the faint outline of the memorial from the obverse side. Anyone ever see such a coin? Also is it worth submiting for grading?

Comments

• Options
    rottnrogrottnrog Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Sounds like a late stage brockage or capped die.

Can you post a scan of it??

• Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Can you give us a photo or a scan?
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Kuch, we are at a standstill on helping without a pic.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    Since you describe a faint image of the reverse design, you might have a late stage brockage or a "clashed cap strike". The latter error develops when a late-stage die cap or a uniface die cap strikes the reverse die directly. The reverse face of the cap will pick up an incomplete impression of the reverse design and transfer it to the next few planchets.

To diagnose the coin correctly we need a picture. Important parameters for proper diagnosis include the clarity and relief of the raised obverse "ghost" image, the clarity of the brockage, the size of the brockage, and the completeness of the brockage.

Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • Options
    I'll see if I can post a pic this eve.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a capped die.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file