Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

SATIFACTION WITH REVIEW SERVICE

Has anyone sent vintage cards back to PSA for review and had them up-graded? I have several cards that are 8's and probably should be 9's. Just looking for some testimony if anyone has tried it with sucess. Thanks, Paulimageimage

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    The odds are very, very slim. If you are so very confident - you will have better luck cracking and re-submitting. Once it is in a certain holder - the graders will typically try to identify flaws to justify the grade...

It is possible - just not very probable
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    Agree with MS. Sent back two 1967 Red Sox PSA 8's that I pulled from cello packs last year. They are 9's--better than most of the 9's I already own (about 50). All they did was put a sticker on the plastic, with the words bottom corner, pointing out the imaginary flaw that is still not there. I even included another 8 I have that looks like a slider 8 for comparison purposes. It cost another review fee, but I thought it would look obvious that the two cards couldn't possibly share the same grade. Forget it. Crack and resubmit is the only possible way to get a change.
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    I have been considering trying the 'review' process but sounds like it would be a waste of money and time. Anyone have any luck with it?
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    There's no point in submitting for the review service. If it's a high end card for the grade it shouldn' t come back lower, so you might as well break it out. The only exception to this is on real high end stuff, where it might come back evidence of trimming.
  • Options
    I once submitted a 1978 Topps Mike Schmidt PSA 10 card that I felt was slightly overgraded (print marks on the obverse - I have scans if anyone is interested), as well as six 1978 Topps Mike Schmidt PSA 9 MINT cards that I felt were superior. I sent them all to Charlie Kahler (remember him - he was great!), and they all got returned to me in the original holders. On all the PSA 9s - flaws were pointed out - about half true flaws, and half that seem somewhat imaginary to me. The 10 stayed in the holder, and mum was the word on the excessive print on the bottom border of the card (not horrible - but for a 10, I was disappointed).

One of those PSA 9s with an imaginary flaw is now en route at another grading company. I tire of this silliness sometimes...
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    Totally agreed on the "sillyness" of it all. Won't GAI review it without breaking it out? Wonder if a card would sell fro a premium as a PSA 8/GAI 8.5 or 9 reviewed grade? I hope I don't get yelled at--this is NOT a negative postimage
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options

<< <i>Totally agreed on the "sillyness" of it all. Won't GAI review it without breaking it out? Wonder if a card would sell fro a premium as a PSA 8/GAI 8.5 or 9 reviewed grade? I hope I don't get yelled at--this is NOT a negative postimage >>

EJGuru:

The "advantage" of breaking a card out if it legitimately deserves a higher grade is that no other grading service has to potentially save face by appearing to have a laxer grading service. That being said - I have gotten SGC 92 cards into PSA 9 holders on Crossover, and I have heard of PSA 8s making it to SGC 96 holders on Crossover. So it is always possible - it just sometimes seems more likely to get the bump on the break-out.
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    Marc.
    for the record i had this occasion on my '54 johnston cookies set.
    I had twelve psa8's i wanted in sgc holders to complete an sgc set i started years ago.
    I gave them to SGC in the PSA 8 holders:
    2 made it into 96's, 2 made it into 92's, 4 crossed to 8's and four did not cross because they had very minor paper wrinkling along the top or bottom from the cutting process.

These were from the first batch PSA ever graded, so familiararity may have come into play.
    I also did not agree with the PSA grades, as some were amazingly clean, but was not the original submitter and i paid a very fair price.