Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

51 Bowman, Interesting Read

Thought some collectors of this set would find this article interesting. Anyone ever heard of anything like this before?

Missing Bowmans?
Gregory Voit
AKA..
Ebay - mpn2gwvputty
Ratso of the Booze Junkies MC

Comments

• Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Cool article -- I never knew that.
  • Options
    is this the same Ted Taylor of Fleer fame?
  • Options
    Not sure who he is, I found it surfing the web. I thought about sending him and email, something like I live 15 minutes from Philly and would volunteer to search old warehouses looking for the missing prints, but I must have been dreamin. I mean, what would the 51 Musial or Dimaggio looked like? Let alone a Robinson or Kiner? I feel 20 years younger just thinking about it.
    Gregory Voit
    AKA..
    Ebay - mpn2gwvputty
    Ratso of the Booze Junkies MC
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    is this the same Ted Taylor of Fleer fame?

Yes, it sure is...he also used to write a column in SCD years ago.

Steve
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I picked up a few early '50s Phillies scorecards last year. The '51 scorecard had an ad inside for Bowman cards (b/w ad, with pictures). Does anyone know whether this was exclusive to philadelphia, as Bowman's home city, or whether similar ads were done in scorecards for other teams (or beyond that, what sort of advertising materials generally were produced for the set)?

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    I remember Ted Taylor co-hosting/co-sponsoring a huge show in Philadelphia in the mid-70's. They issued a "pretend" black and white 1947 Bowman set for the show (complete with DiMaggio, Williams, Musial, etc.) and Im sure I still have a couple of sets of those. That was neat.

And what a nice guy. In the 80's, he had a column in which he wrote about still needing something like 5 1952 Bowmans to finish his set. He was looking for them in any condition.

I happened to have one of them (Don Newcombe) that probably would have graded a 5 or 6 at best. I sent it to him and just asked him to send whatever he wanted back. He sent me back a razor sharp 1949 Bowman #1 Vern Bickford card that I will grade someday.

Great memories of a great collector and writer who really loved his Bowmans.

Keith