Home PSA Set Registry Forum

How 'bout starting a set registry of these babies T3

I had this card for about 15 years, when I had a display in my store of pre-War cards, Allen & Ginters, Old Judge, Fan Craze, Polo Grounds, Tom Barker, Sporting Life, Colgans and a variety of E & T cards. This card always brought the biggest wow!
So hearing a few months ago that PSA would start grading the cabinet size 6 x 8" T3 cards, I figured what the heck, lets see what
it looks like slabbed. It came back this afternoon and looks fantastic in the holder (I had it in a 8 x 10 top loader prior).
There have only been 56 graded and just 20 with PSA-5 or higher grades, w/ only 1 PSA-7 & 1 PSA-8. Since this was a "premium" that you had to redeem w/ 10 cigarette coupons from Turkey Red, Fez or Old Mill, many never did that, and some who did, proudly hung these up on their walls w/ a nice nail hole top & center.
A few on the boards knew that this was being sent to PSA and wanted to see the finished product, so I figured others would like to see it too! Since this is a large card, I have a link for the back scan. To me thats as impressive as the front giving you the list of 75 cards that could be redeemed of Baseball players and boxers. Noteable names are Ty Cobb, Mathewson, Walter Johnson, Speaker, Lajoie & Cy Young. One of the boxers is Abe Attell who was a fixer in the 1919 Black Sox scandal. If you plan to redeem your coupons, hurry! The offer expires on June 30, 1911...jay Turkey Red back scan!

Comments

• KING KELLOGGKING KELLOGG Posts: 1,157 ✭✭
    Jay...

I absolutely LOVE those cards!!!

I see them every once in a while at the bigger shows.. Someday, I'm going to have a few of those babies!!!

Thanks for the pic..

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    KING - Yes they certainly are neat. The slab actually enhances the beauty of the card, rather then then flimsy top load I had it in.
    And I found that a comic book sleeve protects the slab perfectly, as if the sleeve was made for it. I have protective sleeves on most of my slabs, so it was nice to find the perfect fit. I'm hoping more will be graded, so more will be available to purchase, I'd like to grab a few more too! ...jay
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always loved those cards. The first one I owned was an excellent condition Walter Johnson that I bought in the early 1980s. Sold it, along with many other cards in 1989 when I needed money to buy a car and furnish an apartment image Last year I picked up a raw Ty Cobb on ebay. I dropped it off at PSA in December. It came back a 1 (which I expected) due only to it missing 1/2 inch of the bottom left corner. Otherwise it is in excellent condition. I agree, they look awesome in the PSA holdersimage

I've been tossing around in my mind as to going for a registry set of these once I finish my T205, T206 and T207 HOFers.

Steve
  • 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Jay, that is one helluva card! Looks like you hit the "over" too .... image
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Very, very cool Jay. The more I see cards from the various T* issues (sports and non-sports), the more tempted I am to just give up all this "modern" nonsense and specialize in the more beautiful tobacco issues. Now if I can only find that misplace winning lottery ticket image.

Robert

• That's a beauty Jay!

Is it true, PSA charges $30.00 per, to slab one of these?

mx'er

Which had me reluctant, but I'm glad I did. Its like having a beautiful painting w/ no frame.
    And the card has some value, and with me a history for having it from the 80's, so to me its a keeper image ...jay

• Jay,
    I agree with you 100%. The reason I asked, someone I know submitted 3 in the last few weeks. He was a bit surprised with the price.

I think $35.00 is reasonable. Thanks for the great scan!

mx'er

Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Jay,

Great scan of a great card! It was back in the late 80's when I had purchased and then sold about two dozen of these all in high grade, which is EX and above on these cards. Wish I could have all of them back.

I believe that the cigarette coupons could also be exchanged for the L-1 Leathers or the S-81 Silks, so the customer could choose from three different premiums. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Also, the collector back then could CHOOSE the player they wanted, so there were more T-3 Ty Cobb's and Walter Johnson's distributed than say your Howie Camnitz' and Jack Pfeister's.

I also believe that GAI graded a T-3 Ty Cobb at NM-MT 8, which was subsequently sold in a Mastronet auction. I think GAI used the very large, LIN TERRY style screwdowns to "encapsulate".

joe
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Jay,

I also believe that GAI graded a T-3 Ty Cobb at NM-MT 8, which was subsequently sold in a Mastronet auction. I think GAI used the very large, LIN TERRY style screwdowns to "encapsulate".

joe >>

Joe:

I thought that the Mastro Cobb T3 was a GAI 9. PSA has graded a Cobb T-3 at PSA 8 NM/MT - it was pictured in SMR a few months ago.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Marc,

I believe you are correct.

Thanks!

These are definitely the most beautiful cards ever created!

joe
  • AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    That is my favorite baseball card set of all time. If only I collected baseball and had a few extra $10,000 bills.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
    JOE - Perhaps I bought my card from you. These were never offered in any quantity in nice EX and above grades since I've been collecting/dealing in the last 20+ years. And I bought mone in the late '80's when yours were available. I saw an ad in SCD and took the plunge.

I was thinking about GAI slabbing this for me when I saw the Cobb in an auction. But the slab appeared to be a large screwdown as you stated w/ 4 of the silver GAI labels affixed to each side, and I wanted something more self-contained, and the PSA slab does the trick...jay
  • CWCW Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭
    VERY cool card, Jay!
    You should make that your new sig. image
    Definitely one of the most beautiful and artistic sets ever made.
  • OK Jay you win,

I've got all those PSA 9 hockey cards from 1972-73 that you need. Surely we can swing some sort of deal. I'd say that card is sweet, but that would probably drive up the price.

Todd
    Todd Schultz (taslegal@hotmail.com)
    ebay id: nolemmings

<< <i>I've got all those PSA 9 hockey cards from 1972-73 that you need. Surely we can swing some sort of deal >>

CURMUDGEON - Sure we can come up w/ a deal, you sell me what I need, and I'll pay you image But Camnitz stays w/ me. He has too many stories of team mate Honus Wagner and winning 20+ games in the early part of the century for me to let go.

CW - Part of the charm of that large 6 x 8" card in an even larger slab is its size and beauty. So to cut it down to a microscopic size of a postage stamp would kill the effect. Plus Frosty would be real pissed! image ...jay
  • Nice looking card from a great set Jay,

Have collected them for 25 years or so now and is without question, my favorite set.

Don't forget the T9 boxers from the same offer and set. Just as beautiful and rarer since the submitter of the coupons could choose who he/she wanted to receive.

The T3s, T9s etc were 25 coupons, the S81 silks (and related larger silks....civil war generals, etc) were 50, the L1 leathers (and related large premium leathers...generals, actresses and actors, college mascots, etc) were 75, and for 125 coupons the submitter could choose an S110 silk.

I have a T3 Chase that PSA graded before they started slabbing. I was told at the time from the seller that I could get it slabbed for free when PSA started. I'm not a PSA member, but was hoping to have this done at a show? Also...can I get a T3 slabbed at a show without being a member? I have had N28s, etc slabbed before at shows in the distant past and was wondering if this policy is still in effect?

Happy collecting!, Keith
    Collecting - n2, n13, n28, n29, n43, n162, n184, t3, t6, t9, t200, tobacco albums, tobacco advertising cards, tobacco banners (that picture the 19th century card sets).
    KEITH - Thanks for the related info.
    With all the premiums that the cigarette companies offrered at the turn of the century, and with the un-filtered cigs, its surprising that anybody lived a full lifetime. Or maybe they didn't.

At the shows that PSA grades cards, they only grade and slab the standard size cards, they do not bring the equipment for the tall boys and naturally for these large cabinet cards, and as I staed earlier only 56 T3's have been graded to date, so it sure wouldn't be worth it to the lug the machinery to say Fort Washington to slab maybe 2 or 3...jay
  • AWESOME CARD!!!!imageimage
    Check out my new web site: Monsters of the Gridiron
  • Cool card Jay!

Something else you said hit me.
    I really think the cards that go into oversized holders that have a custom fit yet include extra wide holder borders are the neatest.

The 69' Topps Basketball issue is a good example. When I first got a card in that holder (oversized) with the frosted side panels I thought;
    Museum-like
    A cardboard work of art

Then it hit me that it was really that smoked part I really was attracted too.

I'm drifting a little bit on this topic (T3) but thoughtr it worth mentioning that the holder helps rather than hinders the appearance of the card in these cases....all other holder issues aside.

RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Jay

The only thing better than an EX T3 is a horizontal EX T3. Awesome card!
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
    THEBOBS - Haven't seen 1 in a long time, but now that you got me thinking, I looked up all the T3's and there are quite a few that are horizontal..There were 126 diff cards issued, 100 Baseball & 26 Boxers, and out of the 100 Baseball, 15 are horizontal
    #16 Evers
    20 Jordan
    26 McGraw
    29 McConnell
    43 - 50 action shots
    104 lennox
    116 Schmidt
    121 Sullivan
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's an awesome card. I've been a huge fan of that set for 20 years, though I've never owned one. I did buy the reprint set from Renata Galasso however image Someday I will own one of those cards. It's on "the list", LOL.

FWIW, there was a big batch of T3s on Ebay last week, dunno if the auctions are still up. The guy had quite a selection of them available, including some of the boxers if I remember right. Some of them were in pretty nice shape too.

Tabe
    www.tabe.nu
    Tabe,

I saw all those T3's on ebay last week. If I remember correctly, the seller was Mike Wheat. His minimum bids were exhorbitant, and last time I saw them, NONE of them had drawn a single bid. One that comes to mind is a Nap Lajoie, looked to be in VG - EX, with a minimum bid of around $900. If his prices had been more reasonable, I would have bid on a few of them image

Steve
    I don't know the seller's name, but that's definitely the batch I was talking about. I have no idea what T3s sell for, so didn't know if his prices were good or not. When it comes time for me to buy one, I'm sure I'll do a little research first image

Tabe
    www.tabe.nu
  • Almost one year ago; and this subject is still fresh. Thought it was interesting to read the year old perspectives.
    RayBShotz

Thanks Jay, for being head cheerleader for these outstanding and very notable and collectible pre-war beauties!
    Thanks for bringing this one back Rayb...

Back then I only had the Cobb, a PSA 1. Since then, I've succeeded in picking up the Bresnahan, Brown, Clarke, Collins, Crawford, Evers, Griffith, Johnson, Joss, McGraw and Tinkerimage

All of 'em will probably grade PSA 1 or 2, but that's only because of the borders. The picture quality on all of them is superbimage

Not bad for my first year collecting the set...12 down, 14 to go to have all the HOFersimage

Steve
  • SD - That's incredible! Congrats! I bought my first T-3 this week (Hines). Looking forward to getting it in and then having it holdered. The museum like quality of that slab blows me away!
    I'd love to see a scan of that Cobb if you feel like sharing.
    RayBShotz
    RAY, Glad you brought my old T3 post back on top.
    Its been almost a year, and with my incoming T3's, I should
    top 20 PSA graded ones plus 3 PSA T9 boxers.
    My old scan of my 1st card PSA-5 Camnitz is no longer viewable
    although it is still my icon.
    So here is my highest grade a PSA-6 Johnny Kling. Keep in mind
    there has been over 300 PSA T3 & T9's graded and only 3 have
    graded higher then a PSA-6. A PSA-7 Ed Konetchy Cardinals &
    Joe Jeannette boxer and the Ty Cobb PSA-8. Saw it at the National
    a thing of beauty...jay

<< <i>SD - That's incredible! Congrats! I bought my first T-3 this week (Hines). Looking forward to getting it in and then having it holdered. The museum like quality of that slab blows me away!
    I'd love to see a scan of that Cobb if you feel like sharing.
    RayBShotz >>

Thanks Rayimage

I'd love to post a scan of a the Cobb, but I'm still having trouble figuring out how to post scans.

Steve
  • Jay,
    That Kling-on looks so good it seems almost radioactive!
    I am having trouble getting my dropped jaw to go back in place! WOW!
    Thanks for the scan.
    RayBShotz
    RAY - I never get tired of looking at it either.

You stated you have "Hines" coming in. Isn't it Niles, Red Sox? ..jay
  • Niles image
  • magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Good to bring this back to the top (I think) image. I could look at that Kling all day.

Steve , If you want to send me a scan of that card or cards, I'll host it so it can be posted here.

Dave S. My email
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Steve , This is hosted at the HP site. I went there from the link you provided me, blew the pic up as large as I could (full screen) , right clicked in the pic, clicked on properties, then copied the URL shown. I came here , clicked reply, clicked on the photo icon and pasted the URL that I copied into the box. That's all it takes.

Dave

Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    So how much is it to get a T3 graded? And are the slabs clear or black? In one post they look clear, in another they look black...

Tabe
    Here's my Walter Johnson from the set:

Steve

<< <i>So how much is it to get a T3 graded? And are the slabs clear or black? In one post they look clear, in another they look black...

Tabe >>

The holder is clear (the Cobb in the post above yours is mine), and they cost $35 each for grading....Well worth the costimage

Steve
    Great color on that Johnson (Walter ) Steve. That's the thing about the T3's , no matter how the border looks if the pic itself is intact they're still beautiful.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Dave, that's one thing I really like about the T3's. You can get a PSA 1 (like the Cobb), and it really presents about as well as a 5 or 6 (or higher) when you concentrate on the picture image (the impoortant part) image

Steve
  • Hi Jay, I think that the T3 cards are one of the most incredible collectables out there. There is even a Thomas Downey #91 which I was been told by my great grandfather, is a distance relative of mine. I have one of those full sized Downey reprint T3 cards that Mike Wheat is selling. However, I hope to someday find a real one at a price that I can afford. My good friend Ray just bought one (not a Downey) and I must say I am jealous. I think that he might have gotten it from you. It would be a proud moment if I were to someday have a set on the T3 registry. Even if that set only consisted of one card. Neil
    NEIL - Ray didn't get the card from me, it was probably because of me. He's heard me singing their praise for awhile...jay
    TABE - I scan mine w/ the lid open to give it a black backround. Here is 1 of the few action shots w/o listing the players names...jay

Thanks for all the info guys.

Who is this Mike Wheat that's selling full-size reprints? And is it the whole set or just particular cards?

Tabe

<< <i>Thanks for all the info guys.

Who is this Mike Wheat that's selling full-size reprints? And is it the whole set or just particular cards?

Tabe >>

Mike Wheat is a dealer around Pittsburgh I believe. He reprinted the entire T3 set in the original size, with the only difference being a "sunburst" design at each of the bottom reverse corners. He also added two cards to the end of the set; Joe Jackson and Honus Wagner.

Here's a scan of the Wagner:

Steve