Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I feel good!!!!! Try this

Cleaned out a ton of my old commons over the weekend. All worthless stuff from the early 90's upper deck baseball and hockey series.

Packaged them at about 20-25 cards per brown envelope. Had about 75 evelopes when I was done. As I was walking into work today (across from a local hospital) I dropped them off on the pediatric ward for distribution among the sick kids.

I've done this before with my kids older toys that they no longer play with. You won't believe how you feel walking out. That simple little gesture made my day.

Happy Collecting!!

You get what you pay for

Comments

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    DOC - Very nice gesture! and thats a great idea!
    My aunt worked at a veterans hospital and I used to give her a ton of cards (literally) and collector stamps & magazines.
    Lately I've given my excess to the Salvation Army to disburse w/ local poor kids and to Geoff on the boards for his school.
    So to all who read this, NEVER THROW YOUR CARDS AWAY, DONATE THEM!!!...jay
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I have done that at the childrens ward at the county hosp. I mainly give stuffed animals though....your correct it does make you feel good....the kids too!
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    we are having our company picnic at the AAA nashville sounds ballpark and it's theme is baseball. i think i will do something similar for gift bags for the kids.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Kudos to all that do this! I have been taking literally thousands of commons to Shriners Hospital for Crippled and Burned Children for about 9 years now. I have missed a few years in between, but that just means more the following year. I never ask for a tax form either. That's just me. I want it to be completely from the heart. I usually walk through the front doors around Christmas time and drop them off at the front desk. They are very receptive and tell me that the kids love them.

I have never seen any one kid get these cards, but I like to imagine that they are fingering through them with big smiles on their faces looking for the favorite players. I usually leave all the star cards in the boxes. Emmitt Smith, Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, Clinton Portis, Ricky Williams, Jerry Rice, Chipper Jones, Greg Maddux, etc.. I don't own a store, and it wouldn't be worth it to sell these on Ebay. I figure a kid probably loves it when he finds one of these stars or others.

I think it is the greatest thing to do at any given time. I never brag about it to anyone unless a similiar discussion comes up. It really does make me feel better. The kids HAVE TO LOVE THEM. One single Kobe Bryant card could possibly make a kid's day after he comes out of a surgery. Or maybe finding a Jerry Rice card in a box comforts a kid right before he goes in to a surgery. That's the way I look at it.

Keep it up if you are already doing this, and if you aren't, please think about it. Start a box and start throwing your commons and stars if you choose into this box. Take the box of cards to thehospital of your choice and ask them to give them to the children's ward. Unless of course it is a Children's Hospital.

Excellent thread! I hope a few more people start donating cards after reading this.

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?
  • Options
    Don't forget about Yawie and Ydsotter from the boards.............they have special ed classes that use the cards as well.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    Dr. Fever.........Very nicely done!
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Great idea and enjoyed your post. One cannot imagine the impact they can have by simple gesture such as the one's talked about here. Hopefully others will be inspired by your post to do the same.
    "Why is it that Superman could stop a bullet with his chest, yet he ducked when somebody threw a chair at him?"
    "
    " Go ahead and get your fancy barely visible cell phones that get the internet, play DVD's, and can speak 5 languages. As for me and my Atari cell phone it works, it weighs 7 pounds, it is 14 inches long, and it looks like I could call in an airstrike from a remote desert it is so large!"
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    To these kids there is no such thing as "worthless stuff." I've been inspired!
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    I feel guilty that I never thought about giving away my commons to ill children, this thread has enlightened me and it is a terrific idea. My wife works in the hospitality industry, periodically through her work my wife goes to the "dollar" store and buys toys for ill kids at Sinai Hospital in Baltimore and she hands them to the kids at the hospital. She has told me how the kids light up when they get the toys and the effect it has on her, sometimes brining her to tears. The next time she goes, she will be taking a bunch of envelopes containing cards in addition to the toys. Now, I have to find those Orioles and Phillies cards : )

RobE,

Best wishes to Kyle and your family

Collecting Interests:
    Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

My ghetto sportscard webpage...All Scans - No Lists!!! Stinky Linky