Home U.S. Coin Forum

New Hampshire State Quarter No Mint?

I have a New Hampshire Quarter with no mint mark. The e from We and st from trust are also very faint, but with a small magnifying glass I can see them, but no so with then mint mark. Nothing else on the coin seems to be wrong, and it seems to be in good condition...

All I want to know is if this is common or not, since I've looked all over and haven't seen aby information regarding this.

Thanks image

Comments

• Welcome to the forums. image

Pictures or scans would help us out a lot in trying to help you.
    -George
    42/92
  • jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    A possible, and common occurence of too much grease in the die for lubrication and heat during the pressing process or stamping of the planchet. It creates a hydraulic pressure area and doesn't allow the die to make impression in planchet.
    Welcome aboard and hold on to it. Value isn't that great, but an interesting find!imageimage
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • I can pretty much assure you that it is a filled die as jeffnpcb said. I have one that is exactly like you describe: no mintmark and the 'e' and 'st' are present but very weak. A few other people have described similar NH quarters in the past. Nothing special, but it's the first error coin that I found in circulation so I kind of like it.

• Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    It seems every state quarter tends to have some area of feature that commonly comes weak or missing due to filling of the dies. On DE it was the last E of STATE, CT it tends to be the word oak, and on NH it is the mintmark. There have been many reports of the missing mintmark ever since these first came out. Since the mintmark was present on the original models used to create the master hubs it would be present on all of he dies.
  • Okie dokes, I think that answers my question. Thanks for your replies guys image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file