Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

opinions on if this sgc 96 mcgwire will cross to a psa 9?

im not a big collector of sgc cards (this is my first), but couldn't pass it up. however, i'd like to gt it in a psa 9 and was wondering if you think it will cross over

Comments

• Options
    file wouldn't attach so here's a pic

big mac
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    It's really hard to tell from the scan. But I've had SGC 96's cross into PSA 8,9 and 10 holders, so overall I'd like your chances.
  • Options
    well i have a few mac's in psa 9 holders and this one looks better centering wise/corners wise. i just don't want to crack it out of the holder (some people say that gives you a better chance at a higher grade) and get back an 8
  • Options
    that is a good looking card all the way around, it should have no problem crossing to a psa 9. looks like a pretty good deal too, as 9s right now are going for 80 dollars plus. nice card (from the scan anyway)!
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Try the crossover service and write the minimum grade down as "9"
    So if its a "9" or higher, PSA will crack it and slab it. If they deem it to be a lower grade, then they will leave it in tact...jay
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I was wondering about that. Is your chance better if it gets to the grading room raw? I like that card, centering looks a lil off (maybe the scan) I remm in early 86 touting that card, and why not the reverse stated he was the most feared power hitter in college ball. That was a card that you could spec on as he wasnt in the league yet. Canseco's was 5.00 out of the pack (donruss) I always like Big Mac's rookie.....nice card u have there.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    big mac's one of my favorite players (if only i could pull an auto of his!)- and i have several raw of the card...including a few i personally pulled as a kid back in the days when i chewed far more topps gum than any human should image

i have a few psa 9s, but want more...and right now the psa 9s are going for more than i'd like to pay. i've never tried sgc before and am really pleased w/the card- it's much better than the scan and while the centering's a bit off, it really does look as good/slightly better than some of the psa 9s i have. i think i'll do as jay suggested, though i'm curious if sending it in the holder will influence the graders.
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭
    Judging from the nice colors, as well as the decent centering (quite
    good for this card), it looks like you have a good shot. Once you get
    the card and look at the corners you should be able to gauge it better.

Man, I remember back in the day, around 2000, when a seller had 2 of
    these on ebay for $349.95 ea. I offered him $600 for both and he turned
    me down. Looking back, I guess I'm glad it went down that way, although
    I still have a few PSA 9 Big Mac rookies with 1999 & 2000 price tags.
    Ah well, live & learn...
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    WOW that is a nice card. The centering is still within PSA 9 guidelines and it has super eye appeal. Just make sure the corners and edges are mint.

Graders are only human, so if they see that card in the holder, of course it would influence them. This does not mean that you will not get a PSA 9, but to assume the graders won't be influenced is a bit naive.
    On average, a SCG 96 is an easy cross over to a PSA 9. PSA won't be losing face to slab that a 9, especially how you described it.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee