Home U.S. Coin Forum

1954 Proof Set: Should they stay in the original box? Or go in the Wayte Raymond album?

Some redneck varmint had the nerve to send me this box of coinsimage

Should they stay in the original box? Or go in the Wayte Raymond album?

Bill

09/07/2006

Comments

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't "wayte" to find out what you decide image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭
    Anyone else?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Are the Wayte Raymond albums, the ones that give nice colors?
    -George
    42/92
  • I'm of the opinion they should stay in the original box. I think more and more of those boxes get broken up for one reason or another. People do collect sets in the original packaging. Once removed they can not be restored. So I think they will some day have more value in the original packaging.

I'm also one of those who advocate NOT opening unopened sets, however I am tempted to do so if I run across any myself image
    Yep Wayte Raymond gives great tone. Box was already opened before I got it.

Bill

09/07/2006
  • I'm also one of those who advocate NOT opening unopened sets, however I am tempted to do so if I run across any myself

Me too, but how tough are they to come by? None of the local dealers near SLC have any, and I trust those so-called unopened sets on eBay as far as I can throw my truck.

Craig
    The Rede we live by: If it harms none, do what you will.
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Leave them in the box! They are so cool in the original packaging! mike image
  • It appears that some of the coins are toning! I'd take them out and put in album.
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • remove the staple and leave them in the box.
  • Vote: Leave them in original box. No hanging chad on this vote.
  • nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    If they've never been undone, the staple will be rusty for sure; in that case, I would remove the staple carefully, otherwise it will eventually affect the coins. From your picture, the pliofilm bags don't look original. The original ones were absolutely clear, and quite stiff. The ones in your picture look sort of "foggy", like the newer ones??? Anyway, IMHO, for the best protection, and best odds for profit if/when you sell, I would send them to PCGS.image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The original ones were absolutely clear, and quite stiff. The ones in your picture look sort of "foggy", like the newer ones??? >>

Not true in my experience. The 53s had the cellophane but they changed over to the soft 'baggies' for 1954; at least some time in 1954, if not all.

Every 54 I've seen in these boxes has some degree of light, semi-hazy lilac-grey toning. I would take them out and put in some which would not contribute to further deterioration.
  • I left mine in the box..but I did remove the staples. I placed the coins in 2x2 coin holders and kept the flips all in one package.
  • nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    MacCrimmon: Thanks for the info. I stand corrected. Just looked at my 54's and they do have different bags than my 53'S. image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    That doesn't look like original packaging.
    The original packaging the coins were in was Cellophane.
    Those look like poly bags.
    Doesn't matter if you take the coins out or not.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd suggest leaving them in their original packaging unless you feel that the coins will be damaged by some contaminant in the original plastic containers (PVC, etc) and/or if they start to tone in an unattractive way.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
    I just picked up one of these sets in a shop in B'Ham a couple weeks ago. Only paid about $120 for it, the guy was asking $160, but then I pointed out that the 1954 had been written over another date. It was already opened. The Washington is a slam dunk DCAM, but has some rim toning that I don't find all that attractive. It'll eventually go to NCS(I think) and then to one of the grading services. They were in the foggy little poly bags with a rusted staple, so I took them from those bags and put them in some SAFLIPS 2x2s for the time being. Can anyone suggest a better short term storage method?

Edited to add......the toning on the Washington and the Frankie is the Lilac-Grey color MacCrimmon talked about.
    imageimage

• << <i> Can anyone suggest a better short term storage method?

>>

Cointains
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
    I am leaning towards this:

Bill

09/07/2006
  • gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    I've bought many mint-sealed proof sets, sealed GSA's etc through the years and prefer to keep them that way. The few that I have sold have been sold as I bought them, still sealed.

GSAGUY

Must find way to put rock in box and sell as sealed and never opened, will make fortuneimage
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    Whatever floats your boat CD.image

GSAGUY

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file