Home U.S. Coin Forum

Does gold-plating improve the State Quarters?

Or are they beyond improvement?

I started collecting them when they first came out, but got bored rather quickly. Now the only ones I have left are the ones in the silver proof sets, and a type set of gold-plated ones. image

We ARE watching you.

Comments

• BigGreekBigGreek Posts: 1,090
    Anything improves the state quarters.

But seriously, is gold plating considered a collectible type?
    Please check out my eBay auctions!
    My WLH Short Set Registry Collection
  • JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    But seriously, is gold plating considered a collectible type?

Depends on who you talk to I guess. Rick Small told me that ordinary die-clashed IHC's aren't considered to be collectible either.

Edited to add, what he meant was "not collectible as varieties."

We ARE watching you.

• BigGreekBigGreek Posts: 1,090
    While on the topic. To make it interesting, me and my wife, who also collects coins,
    bought a couple of Dansco state-quarter albums and are having a little competition
    to see who can fill all the holes from pocket change. The challenge is that we need
    bot P and D mints.
    Please check out my eBay auctions!
    My WLH Short Set Registry Collection
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    If I were trying to fill a quarter book from pocket change it would never get done. I have seen about 5 P-mint quarters since 1999.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Yeah, and here in Boston, you rarely see a D mintmark on any coin.

We ARE watching you.

• Actually get quite a few D Mint coins here in Central Florida... I think they come with the Tourists...
    -George
    42/92
  • JamesWJamesW Posts: 105 ✭✭
    I have been filling an album for state quarters and must say the "P" mints are hard to come by. I have managed to fill my book except for the Michigan and Arkansas "P".

I live in Mississippi and work in Texas. You would think I would find a good mix.
    I never met a coin that wouldn't fit in my collection.....
  • The gold plated quarters are more along the lines of a novelty, sorta like the the American Eagle has been colorized in so many ways, including gold plating.image
    Coins, shiny coins!
  • mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭✭
  • Numismatically speaking it ruins the coin and lowers any value left. It's considered aldulterating the surfaces of the coin. I think ACG, NTC and PCI would grade them. It's like the steel cents that have been "recoated" because of the rusting problem.
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I live in Mississippi and work in Texas. >>

now thats a comute

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file