Home U.S. Coin Forum

Got my FSNC Jefferson set today - Disappointed with the Proof

I received the FSNC Jefferson set today. The matte is very nice. The proof I am really disappointed in. I expected it to be nearly flawless as most GMM proofs are. Also, I am a little disappointed with the quality of the SEGS holders, you can see on the reverse part of the holder obscures STATES OF.

Comments

• RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Looks like they had some production problems with that one. Mine was much nicer, and did look like a nice proof coin.

Russ, NCNE
  • KoinlinkKoinlink Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

I got my FSNC today too! I only got the matte coin. I really like it. The holder has a minor crack in one corner of the label area,
    probably the fault of the P.O. It's too bad this design wasn't used for Monticello & the lettering style.
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295

<< <i>Looks like they had some production problems with that one. Mine was much nicer, and did look like a nice proof coin.

Russ, NCNE >>

The obverse really looks like it was struck with a worn die. How many dies would be needed to strike 1938 coins? There is no cameo effect at all on the obverse, and many very noticeable die erosion flowlines.
  • K6AZ

got mine about a week ago #774, the proof coin is excellent but I have the same defect in the holder. Mine is not as visble as yours, with only slight covering of the "of". is yours a later number?

Dan
    The glass is half full!
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Uh, not to sound ignorant or anything, but...

What is a FSNC Jefferson?
  • The holder has a minor crack in one corner of the label area

I got my set (MS & Proof) a week or so ago and noticed the same thing. Iin the
    upper left label area it appears kind of like a slanted Y crack in the plastic maybe
    1/8" or 3/16" in length.

Then I noticed that both coins have the identical mark. Upon closer examination,
    it appears to me to be not a crack, but a flaw or debris in the mold that was used
    to make these holders.

Anyone else?

Ken
  • Solid - Same flaw in mine

Barry - The Jefferson Full Step Nickel Club minted (thru the Gallery Mint) copies of the orignal 1938 design for the Jefferson nickel.

Dan
    The glass is half full!
  • Yeah k6az... that obverse looks REALLY mushy... send it back if you can...
    -George
    42/92
  • I only bought the matte finish and it's very nice.....
    JoeCool
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295

<< <i>K6AZ

got mine about a week ago #774, the proof coin is excellent but I have the same defect in the holder. Mine is not as visble as yours, with only slight covering of the "of". is yours a later number?

Dan >>

Yes, mine is set #813.
  • rlawsharlawsha Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭
    My set came in today. Set # 817 proof and matte. The proof is a little hazy in spots and the coins are not perfectly seated in the holder but I'll keep them. I love the design on the reverse.
  • nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭
    Send yours back and buy another set, this auction has 4 available... Link

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file