Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

California quarter final design choice revealed

BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭
As reported today in the San Diego Union Tribune.

California Quarter
US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.

Comments

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What no state outline?

Actually it's not too bad. I'll bet it looks nice in DCAM silver
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that a sublimina "Superman S" in the rocks of Halfdome?
  • Options
    Well...it could've been worse....
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Another ho-hum State Quarter design.

P.S., watch that link, pop-up city!

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    When I think of California...I think of John Muir and a rock !!
  • Options
    I should have mentioned the pop ups. The Union Tribune is notorious for popups. More than any other website I've seen. If you have a pop up blocker, turn it on. I actually like that design. Much better than the Michigan design, or should I say lack of design.

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I like it, and I'm a Californian (no, I'm not homosexual). Much better than something about Hollywood. Not too crowed, and John Muir was a very cool guy. Half Dome is a sight to behold!

I approve.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that's it...perfect! No Golden Gate and it has Yosemite (Half Dome). Cooooooooool!

jom
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

Link is pop-up city.
  • Options
    I like it, and I'm a Californian (no, I'm not homosexual).

I'm confused here. Are you not a homosexual even though you're a Californian, or are you not a homosexual even though you like the design?

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thankfully they left Hollywood off of it.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I like it, and I'm a Californian (no, I'm not homosexual). I'm confused here. Are you not a homosexual even though you're a Californian, or are you not a homosexual even though you like the design? >>

Sorry for the confusion. I am a Californian. I like the design of the quarter. image I am not a homosexual.image

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    Design looks good. Looks like they had put some thought into is and it was not done by committee
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    It should have had some fault lines in it.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    What's wrong with being homosexual? And what the hell does it have to do with the price of tea in China?

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Another study in mediocrity.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    It should have had some fault lines in it.

Eventually as dies wear out and break, fault lines will appear.image

• Options
    Not bad. At least John Muir has legs. (Everytime I look at the Illinois state quarter I think, where's Abe's legs?) I liked the modern design (waves and sun) that was one of the finalist. But I guess my expectations are so low now that I've lowered my standards considerably.

And I read the San Diego UT sports section every day and the popups are ridiculous!
    Bill
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool! I like it! John Muir and Yosemite are a wonderful California State Quarter design!!

I agree that Half Dome and the entire Yosemite National Park is a real national treasure... Every time I visit there it's like being in a different world...

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    It's OK, not stellar, but better than many out there. Half dome is a good recognizable symbol for CA. I'm originally a Californian but got out. Now I live 18 miles from CA.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    coinmickeycoinmickey Posts: 767 ✭✭
    I was hoping the gold prpspector would make it on there...but this is not half bad given some of the recent quarter designs, Michigan and Florida for instance. As someone noted earlier. the Silver Proofs are going to look nice.
    Rufus T. Firefly: How would you like a job in the mint?

Chicolini: Mint? No, no, I no like a mint. Uh - what other flavor you got?

• Options
    Yes, the design should have given at least a nod to the gold rush. But compared to some of the horrific designs on these quarters, we should be thankful the Mint didn't muck this one up too bad. (Golden Gate bridge would have been particularly stupid.)

Can't wait to see the silver proof version in hand.
    Realtime National Debt Clock:

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Not bad, but it shuda had a bear on it, somewhere.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    I'm pleased they left "Hollyweird" out of the coin design. Anyone who has visited Hollywood knows that it isn't really that nice of an environment (dirty, nothing to see).
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Another crappy state quarter. I'm surprised they didn't put the Hollywood sign in the background, too.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not bad, but it shuda had a bear on it, somewhere. >>

Like a big bear sneaking up on Johnny boy about tho give him a wedgie.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    I like it.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a Californian and I like it. I pretty much detest state quarters as collectables but I'll be picking up a 69 or 70DCAM when that one comes out.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That guy is HUGE!!!
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭
    Well, I'll say this much. it's better than Alabama's.
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    I like it. It is different.

Just like the gov saying "KAHL-ee-FOUR-nya"
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    The people living in, "Babylon by the Bay", otherwise known as San Francisco, are a tiny part of Calilfornia's population. I live in San Diego County and am proud of it.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    It's better that the ocean wave design.....

JoeCool
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    It's not great but it is better than the proposed designs. Still when I look at it the first thing that runs through my mind is "One second later, the eagle clawed out John Muir's eyes."
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Is 2 BILLION going to be enough?? Is that like 8 for every man, woman, and child living in the U.S. ?? image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    I think that "s" is pretty obvious and leads to.... (can it be)... and "ex" that follows it... another SUBLIMINAL SEX like the "sex" that apperaed in Lincoln's beard in the $5 bill printed during the 1960s... hmm... cheers, alan mendelson
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Boring, just like all the other state quarters so far. JMO.
  • Options
    I like it. I'll get a nice proof for my type set... I might even be able to even get a nice PCGS PF-69DC if I try.
    ~Richard Dorrance
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    I like it.image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    It sucks, like 99 percent of the other state quarters ... everyone associated with the State Quarter program is artistically bereft.
  • Options
    I suppose I just don't care for the state quarters. Though this is not as bad as some, they mostly seem too busy, design-wise, and overly detailed to compensate for the lack of relief.

The only one I've really liked has been New Hampshire. It has a nice simple design. Some of the Colorado designs look promising, as well.
    imageimageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    Frankly, I would have preferred the waves ... that would have stood out from the rest.

Or, either of the two designs I proposed:

1. Ford bronco being followed by police cars on the freeway

2. a san andreas fault quarter that splits in half under pressure creating two "12 and a half cent" coins

cheers, alan mendelson
  • Options
    richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    The design they picked is pretty good, but I like the waves and sun design as it is a bit more abstract and different from the rest. image
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I give it a definite imageimage

And I'm a native Californianimage

Steve
  • Options
    I also like it, (born and raised on the Central Coast of California). I thought for sure our design would have had the Golden Gate bridge on it (In fact I would have bet Rosie O'Donuts counterfeit marriage license on it!) What is in and goes on in San Francisco DOES NOT define our great state, thankfully!
    Joe
  • Options
    BothuwuiBothuwui Posts: 484 ✭✭
    I like the design as well, but there is definitely too much text cluttering it up. Not much of my pocket change has to tell me it's Abraham Lincoln on the penny. Maybe some people could benefit on the nickel and dime, as many people don't have a clue what president is on them (hard to believe huh?). Anyway, design = good. Words = bad. Overall = Acceptable.
    Successful transactions with: goldman86, dmarks, CoinFame, segoja, commoncents05, wondercoin, Dabigkahuna, Levinll, RNCHSN, MrOrganic, Type2, ModernCoinMart, alohagary, BECOKA, guitarwes, rbf, fishteeth, freechance, agentjim007, PQPeace, Russ, GSAGuy
  • Options
    callawayc7callawayc7 Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    I'm from California and I think it sucks! Half dome is ok but I don't want another dead person on my coins! The coins from each state are suppose to represent the state. Who thinks of John whats his face when they think of California?image
  • Options
    I agree. The design would be better without the dead guy. I would also have preferred a prospector.

I'm was born and raised here in California, and I don't think of Yosemite or John whatshisname when I think of California...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file