Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Kyle Carpenter is in Brain surgery today - Please say a prayer.25% chance is IN his favor.

2»

Comments

• Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    Well,I went to the hospital today to drop off the ball.Met Mrs.Carpenter and spoke with her for about 45 minutes.
    Kyle was not very responsive.He's on Dialysis,they cut back on the Morphine and Demerol these last few days, so it's possible I might be able to eventually speak with him.

I found out he had 2 Aneurysms and is scheduled for brain surgery which it's possible he might not make it to by this Friday,but if he does he has a 25% chance of surviving the surgery and the surgery is not guaranteed to make him recover but it's one of the few life lines he has to come out of this and be a 15 year old kid again like he was.

I found out that he was an excellent baseball player who was the ace pitcher of his team,he's shortstop,first and second baseman too.I saw a picture of him with Johnny Damon,Geremy and Jason Giambi who he met at a private function last year.Also,last year make a wish took a bunch of kids with similar problems out to Oakland and he met all of the A's and the Yankees minus Jeter who was injured last year at the time he went out there.Aparently everytime he had an opportunity to meet a major league ballplayer he never got to meet Jeter and that is all he wants more than anything which is why I got the call to see if I could find an autographed baseball.He has had nothing like that until today thanks to all of you.

His mom said he will probably be awake in a few days and this baseball is really going to lift him up when he realizes he has it.I guess yesterday he slipped into a coma and just started to come out of it a little this morning and can communicate with blinking his eyes and slight finger and hand responses.

Also,I found out he LOVES baseball cards and loves to open packs up.I found out that he is actually a customer of the place I found the baseball we chipped in for and even though the store owner and his mother don't know eachother's names both have spoken extensively about Kyle's condition and the Store owner's very own 10+ year battle with Cancer.She was very happy to hear where the baseball came from.

I told mom what went on here and that Kyle has a lot of new friends who got this baseball for him and how it came about.It was a pleasure to see the shock and surprise in her eyes with a big smile.She is going to contact me in a few days to keep me posted on Kyle's conditon.

Also from Jack and Lil Rial from First Base sports cards he made up some flyers that he asked me to fix the wording on and to possibly pass out at the local show this weekend and possibly when Kyle's childhood friend and adopted sister sends her thank you cards out to a number of you (Elaina is how I met Kyle through my sister and sister in law).

There have been a countless amount of people emailing or Pming asking if there is anything they can do by donation in paypal,or whatever because they were upset they missed out so if you still feel that you want to do something the address in an earlier post is where a card or letter can be sent or you can Paypal the link I have or you can do something in Jack's store.I'm going to just scan and image host the flyer because it's in Jack of First base's own words and I'd just like to leave it at that with his interest to help how he can.

Also,I wanted to get the story straight for all of you because I was under the impression that Kyle was NOT going to make it.I mean it could be just the mother and the nurses who are being optomistic but I was completely under the impression that he was not going to survive.However,it's not the case if you refer back to the top of this message.I just want everyone to know the facts.

When his mother told me the good news I let out a big sigh of relief to know he's still got a chance and if he makes it I look forward to getting to know this kid and talk a little baseball with him.

Scan of Jack's flyer he made for Kyle in a rough draft next post from me.

Thanks for all your kindness!

Sorry about the typos,runnons,spelling errors and all that junk from me image
    Edited to correct the % of chance the kid has.

Robert
  • Options
    Grillo,your email bounced.However if you want to send anything the address is listed in one of the earlier posts.
    Thank you for your kindness and everyone else too!

Here is the flyer Jack at First Base was making when I picked up the McFarland

• Options
    TipemTipem Posts: 881

Robert,

By the time I first read this post,the ball was already paid for.I will get something in the mail tomorrow.Use it to buy packs or whatever you see best.Your description of Kyle describes my 12 year old son to a tee as far as baseball goes and it really hits home.I can't wait to see him so that I can give him a hug and let him know how much he means to me.I will add Kyle to our prayer list and hope that he pulls through.What you have done is the reason that I stay on these boards.I hope that you realize that one good thread like this makes up for a hundred of the others that are so prevalent on these boards these days.

Thanks!!!!

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    Vic,thanks for the kind words.You know I wouldn't have been able to do anything without everyone's help these last couple days.For that I am greatful and wasn't expecting to get anymore deeply involved than finding a baseball quickly but it's been a lot different believe me.

Also,I've been getting to know about a lot of kids all over the country these last couple days and if I had children I'd be just like everyone.But with me the closest things I have to kids are a Niece and Music students for Bass.

With everything that went on in the last couple hours I am amazed at and emotional to say the least.Even watching Jeter on Opening Day in Japan has choked me up.From his commercials to just thinking of the number 2.Since I got the call on Monday afternoon I have devoted every minute to this situation.I have been swamped with emails,PMs,IM's and phone calls.If I have not responded to everyone or anyone here I am sorry, but please understand,which I'm sure just about everybody does.

Here is where things are at the moment:

I went to the shop I got the ball from,to find out Kyle's dad already came into the store to thank the guy we bought the baseball from.They knew Kyle and the family better than they realized and were really happy to know who the ball was for.

Next thing is - I'm going to fix up the document for the shop you see with the coupon above and got permission from the local card show promoter (Mike Riccio) to take the flyer and make them available at this Sunday's UNH College Sports card show.(The closest thing we have to a Sportsfest out here)

100% of all financal proceeds will be given directly to Kyle's mom from both myself and from the Shop owner.I have no idea what it can be used for but hopefully Kyle can live to enjoy everything we collected and buy some nice cards or something.Ultimately,I want to believe what Mrs.Carpenter and the nurses said and that is that he has a chance to survive this.Hopefully that will be the case.

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Rob, I have been following this post...sorry I haven't had the time to respond as of yet. I will keep Kyle in my prayers, and hope that this turns out for the best. I think that distributing those flyers at the NH show is a great idea, and I will be at the show Sunday. If I see the flyers there, I will take some back with me, and distribute them to the friends I have in this part of the state. I know it will get some attention for Kyle's cause. Thank you for letting us in on this story, it really hits home for me. What you are doing for Kyle and his family is truly special.
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>..............and if I had children I'd be just like everyone. >>

Rob, when your time comes, there will be no doubt about your abilities as a loving parent and mentor..............trust me on this.

Bill
  • Options
    Well,it's in God's hands today.Kyle is in Surgery today and since we've done all we could for he and his family there is only one thing that I myself ask from anyone here and that's if you pray today please pray this kid's 25% chance is enough for him to beat the odds.

Thanks for all your support and God bless!

• Options
    God has a special place for people like you rob...god bless you and kyle
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>God has a special place for people like you rob...god bless you and kyle >>

Amen.
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I am anxiously waiting to find out how things went yesterday.Hopefully we'll know before the end of today as I am afraid to call and find out.

Keep your fingers crossed and say your prayers folks.

Thanks!
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Lets hope for the best! ...jay
  • Options
    Jay,I just found out that it was decided it was too dangerous for the surgery and that's all I know for now.

• Options
    what about not doing the surgery, what is the danger there?
  • Options

<< <i>Jay,I just found out that it was decided it was too dangerous for the surgery and that's all I know for now. >>

Damn that's not good.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    ttt
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    He had a fever and that is why he never made it to surgery.Right now he's in a coma and that's all I know right now.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We're prayin' for you Kyle. Hang in there buddy...you're gonna make it through this!imageimage

Steve
  • Options

Hi All,

For those of who took the time to help out in this endeavor and are taking the time to read this thread,Rob asked me to post this.

Kyle Carpenter passed away last night after a couragious battle with Lupus. image It seems that the good do die young and the lord saw fit to take from this world one of his children so as to eliminate his pain and suffering.

For all of you that helped Kyle out,thanks cannot be expressed in mere words.

Speaking for myself,I am deeply saddened and must go and hug my kids as I think of his parents.

Vic

Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Speaking for myself,I am deeply saddened and must go and hug my kids as I think of his parents. >>

Thanx Vic
    I would like to take this time to pray for young Kyle's salvation and my deepest sorrow for the family and friends.
    And I am very proud of the support that was afforded the Carpenter family by the members of this forum.
    my best
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For all of you that helped Kyle out,thanks cannot be expressed in mere words. >>

Rob,
    For a short time in Kyle's life you brought a lot of people together and those joint actions sure put a big smile on this little lad's face. He's in a far better place now, and somehow, in some way, he's thanking you again for your kindness.
    Bill
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    My deepest sympathy to Kyle's family. Rob, your efforts and kindness don't go unnoticed as you did a noble thing to harness the goodness on this board and brought some joy to Kyle and certainly his family in these critical times. I am sure the family was pleasantly overwhelmed that we, as virtual strangers, were pulling for Kyle in our prayers and deeds.

This thread started in March, so Kyle did fight long and hard. Unfortunately, with a disease like lupus, medical science is helpless to a large extent. While we cannot do any more for Kyle directly, I want to leave it up to the board members to decide how they want to handle this. Sure, flowers and cards can be sent to the family and I am sure Rob can advise us on the address, but there is an alternative I want to propose. Again, this is only in the spirit of recommendation, and with Kyle in mind, but we can donate money to the National Institute of Health (NIH) in memory of Kyle Carpenter, which funds all kinds of medical and biological research endeavors ranging from immunology, cancer and even stem cell research, all of which can potentially offer direct cures or at least effective treatments for lupus. This is just my take and I am not by any means prescribing this as a must, just creating awareness.

Best wishes to the board members,

Andre
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    How very sad to hear about Kyle's passing. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    sigh
    Good for you.