Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

OT: Gothic For Sale

Hello, here is a Link to my PCGS PR64 Gothic crown I have up for sale. If nothing soon it will be going to ebay! Thanks. S

Comments

• Options
    How many months can you fianance that puppy for?? 48 or 72?? image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    Must be an old proof, doesn't appear to be proof to me.

That's one expensive coin .. what makes it so rare?
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Must be an old proof, doesn't appear to be proof to me. >>

You better duck!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Wow! I've always considered that one of the most beautiful coins of all time, and that's a nice example.

I don't have $3500 though. image

Why sell it?
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭

<< <i>what makes it so rare? >>

Because it makes numismatic geniuses with large mouths, such as yourself, think that they are not actual proofs.
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    GCL- with remarkably little effort one can search the web and discover a fountain of information on particular coins; this is one such.

The slight effort in doing a little research adds volumes to the pleasure of the hobby, not to mention the importance of its educational aspects.

You are hereby required to present a thoughtful, adequately researched paper of a least 150 words on Scott's Gothic Crown.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    My research is the following:

Wow!!!

Repeat that 150 times, please image
    4 765 of 50 971 (9.35%) complete image

First DAMMIT BOY! 25/9/05 (Finally!)

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Aw, heck! It's already slabbed, otherwise I see a spot I'd sure like to scratch off. Is that made of zink or aluminum? Is that tarnish on that coin? I hear baking soda will clean it off. image
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it's probably a fake. Better drop it on the concrete a few times to make sure it sounds like silver.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Hey if it does not sell why not have a giveaway right here on the forum for it? image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options

<< <i>Better drop it on the concrete a few times to make sure it sounds like silver. >>

Rrrrrrrrriiiiinnnnnnnnngggggggg!

Nope, it's aluminum.......it went thunk! image

Cashman, maybe I can scare up $2500 for the "66" Gothic. imageimage
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Hey Mouse! I highly doubt that Cacheman is as dumb as he looks.

errrr......as dumb as you think he is...image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You are hereby required to present a thoughtful, adequately researched paper of a least 150 words on Scott's Gothic Crown. >>

Ditto! Wybrit and Mac will grade this paper!

(preview of the result)--------> image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

<< <i>Ditto! Wybrit and Mac will grade this paper! >>

I haven't received the course tuition payment yet......also, I.m too busy with taxes at present. image
  • Options
    also, I.m too busy with taxes at present.

I can accept that-just watch those decimal points I.m or you may be going away for a long time... and we would miss you!image
  • Options
    Tis a thing of beauty much appreciated!

Mark
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Must be an old proof, doesn't appear to be proof to me. >>

The Gothic crown was only struck in proof. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options

<< <i>GCL- with remarkably little effort one can search the web and discover a fountain of information on particular coins; this is one such.

The slight effort in doing a little research adds volumes to the pleasure of the hobby, not to mention the importance of its educational aspects.

You are hereby required to present a thoughtful, adequately researched paper of a least 150 words on Scott's Gothic Crown. >>

cacheman, I'm sorry I offended you about your coin. It is indeed a nice coin, and at the time I posted that thoughtless comment I had no clue how rare and valueable it was. I honored laurents paper and did some research in respect for him, you Scott, and everyone else on these forums.

In the year of 1847, a new portrait appeared on british crowns of Victoria. In addition to the young head "bun" crowns issued before this one, a very detailed and richly engraved design was made.
    Only available in proof condition, these designs were known as the "Gothic" designs.This gothic design was only made 2 years. The design is a Victorian crown type with a large bust of the queen, wearing a crown with a fancy embroidered dress. The other sides design is cruciform shields, with roses, thistles, and shamrocks in the tressured angels. The inscripptions on both sides are in Gothic script, and are very strange in being in lower case, (except for the captalized V of victoria). The two years it was issued was 1847 and 1853. They are very rare coins that should be appreciated as true masterpiece of art.
    The engravers initials W.W for William Wyon, are incuse on the gap below the shoulder.On the reverse cruciform shields bearing three lions passant for England, lion rampant for Scotland, and a harp for Ireland. In the angle are roses, a shamrock and a thristle. In the center, the Order of the Garter, bearing the inscription: "HONI SOIT QUI MAY Y PENSE." All is contained within a circular panel. The reverse was also made by William Wyon, (His initials appear incuse on the circle at either side of the topmost crown).The reverse legend is also in lower case gothic style script:"tueatur unita deus anno dom mdccxlvii(The date)"
    The edge is inscribed in raised lower case gothic style lettering, with roses and crown separators: (crown) decus (rose) et (rose) tutamen (crown) anno (rose) regni (rose) undecimo.
    The average price of this coin date 1847 in AU, is £900 or $1,500 dollars. Making the price cachemen has for his coin quite the deal.

Buy Scott's coin! image
  • Options

Sorry folks, didn't realized I posted the same thing twice.
  • Options
    Well folks, he expended some energy. Are you guys ready to grade the effort?
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I'll give the little fella a B+. I would have liked to read about why the coin was issued and the various types of Gothic Crowns that exist.

I'll bet you had fun looking that up didn't you Kevin?image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Thanks, I had to visit many sites to get that information. I didn't know what to look up I guess. I looked up "Gothic Crown", and then "Gothic Crown coin". Couldn't find anything on why it was issued, I saw some other coins, but I'm not sure if they were Gothic Crowns too.

I think the coin was issued because of a golden victorian jubilee.
  • Options
    I'll give the lad an A- for taking up the challenge.

Next time try adding the year to the search.

Of note, click here for more infor on W. Wyon, the designer. In fact, read that entire site. Go ahead and read several of the others, too.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I think the coin was issued because of a golden victorian jubilee.

The golden jubilee was 1887. The Gothic Crown commemorated 10 years on the throne, 1837-1847.

Otherwise, good research, A-.

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A- I'm a Math teacher so I didn't read the whole thing. Could never be an ELA teacher. Too much grading.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    FRAUD BIDDER IS ON YOUR GOTHIC........

BEWARE OF GOOSE_HUNTER_TOO.

I would suggest retracting and blocking the bidder now, per Lloyd and others experiences.
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    GOOSE_HUNTER_TOO NARU'd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Bid it back up, but not past the reserve, I'm afraid.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    LloydLloyd Posts: 887

<< <i>GOOSE_HUNTER_TOO NARU'd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

Well, well, well!! Fancy that ... no longer a registered user. Who would have thought...

Edited to add this link...>

L