Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What is the purpose of an eBay "Private Auction?"

And, if I ended up with the item, at my exact maximum bid, have I likely been swindled?

help!

Thanks in advance!

Nick

Comments

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    oh lord
    Good for you.

• do I smell sarcasm? or stupidity?
  • SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    If that was directed my way, then I plead stupidity.

My question is legitimate. I only know what eBay says about a Private Auction; I don not know what it "really" is used for.

Thanks!
    well the last time that question was asked people replied that in most cases pvt auctions are bad..........well a poster here who runs pvt auctions had a fit.............som your question is legit im sorry i should have just answered u properly, pvt auctions are bad in that for no other reason then u cant see other bidders and can't know if your being shilled

edited to say it just smells period
    Good for you.
  • kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    I have close to 1500 feedback on ebay and i have never been involved in one.
    But this just came to my mind? maybe this is stupid but do they do them private so the government doesnt see it? no taxes?
  • Sometimes (not always) is it used by people that may have something to hide. For instance selling PRO cards that are clearly trimmed. Since it is a private auction the winning bidders are not avaliable on e-bay thus preventing other collectors from warning them they are may be bidding on an altered card.

That is not always the case, but that is one scenario. I have also read from sellers that engage in private auctions that it prevents spam from people that may have similar items up for sale.
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
    I have been involved in 2 such auctions and both times came out of them bad....
    Good for you.
    Gulp!

It was a PRO card that I won...

unbelievable, jay...
    It is item number 2796517158 if you'd like to check...
  • SOM - What card did you win? Hopefully it wasn't for too much money.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    Nick....You're better off taking the negative FB (don't follow through with the auction) & chalk it up as a learning experience........
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • This guys is infamous for selling trimmed PRO graded cards. He has been mentioned on the board a number of times. I pulled up the auction number, for that much money I would recommend taking a negative.

Better than paying for a card that has been altered.
  • kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    Nick
    email him this thread!! and say you are not paying! unless he scans card on here for the experts to help you. if he says no neg him and explain why!
  • I was involved in a rather heated thread regarding a similar subject. It is true that private auctions make you think why are they private. Do they have something to hide? There are however legitimate reasons for having a private auction.

Anyway this is an edited version of one of my posts from that thread stating that not all private auctions are bad.

“Here are some legitimate reasons for a private auction:
    1. The seller doesn’t want the bidders to get unwanted spam.
    2. The seller respects the fact that the buyer deserves some privacy. This is the equivalent to absent or silent bidders in a “real life” auction.
    3. If the auction is an investment, the purchaser would remain private for future selling.
    4. To prevent people interfering with a legitimate auction - libel.

Again in the case of scam artists, a private auction is used to keep people from interfering with their auction. Warning the bidder that the auction is a scam. However, there are many other warning signs like illegitimate grading companies (Pro), no pictures for very high dollar cards, and countless others.

The scam is whether or not the product that the high bidder will receive is correctly represented - not the auction style.”

Brian
    Thanks, friends. I did email him, posted this thread, and I await his response. (I was not accusatory toward him - I simply requested his explanation for the legitmacy of the card, based upon this Board.)

I'll let everyone know what happens next!
  • TipemTipem Posts: 881

I stay away from them.While I agree that there are some legitamite sellers out there that use them,I think that they are in the minority.I see too many of them that are selling what appear to be trimmed cards.

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Link:
    Evening gents - I'm bummed about St.Joe - I didn't see where anyone linked the card - we actually now have two issues: private auctions and Pro cards. Wow. I've got another movie to watch - this is a tough one.....what to do, what to do......looking forward to see what the seller says. My first suggestion - ask the seller if they would measure the card and give the EXACT dimensions - what do ya think guys?
    Mike
    Mike
    I have tried that Mike, I have yet to get a reply.......st joe's lost? hmmm
    Good for you.
  • Nick:

The card in question certainly looks trimmmed...here is an example of an ungraded card...same card...it does look a bit different then the one in question...

67 Carew Card

Notice how this card has more boarders than the card in your question...

Here's your "trimmed" card...and it is trimmed...

PRO Trimmed Card
    Henri
    Collector
    Topps 58,59,60,61,62,63,64 Sets
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • I have found that the majority of "Private" auctions are from know crooks, scammers, and con artists. I realize that there are some that are not for legitimate reasons, however, many buyers will not even bid on a "Private" auction at all.
    Always wanting odd-ball Nolan Ryan's.
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    That seller is a well known card trimmer, as was stated earlier. As if the private auction didn't tip you off, he then adds the other cowardly scam artist trademark - private feedback. Have something to hide, mr t2inc? The fact that people like this are thriving on Ebay makes me sick, but hopefully enough people are aware of his game by now.

You can just look at that card, and see it isn't right...but, great work HammeringHank in finding an ungraded example to compare it to.
    Friends: I slept on it, and it seems much clearer today.

I'm going to pretend I never even bid on that darned card. I'll ignore the guy. If he's as questionable a character as he seems to be, I doubt that he's going to post negative feedback. A legitmate seller can deal with a couple of explainable negatives, as some of you have indicated; a crook dealing in private auctions under the cover of private feedback can't afford to have any. And he'll sure get slammed by me if he fries me with bad feedback.

He'll probably just be pissed that somebody out-scammed him, and he'll move on.

It probably won't take him long to find the next sucker to whom he can sell the card...but, I hope that it does.

I'll let you know what action he chooses to pursue.

Nick
    Nick
    That may not work with some of these guys - some are just sociopathic enough not even realizing that they are doing anything wrong - in fact they can get down right ugly when even politely questioned.
    But, good luck.
    Mike
    Mike
    SOM I wouldnt ignore the guy....I would simply tell him that after the auction ended you found out that the card in question was not what you thought it was and leave it at that. my 2 cents
    Good for you.
  • Interestingly, a user with the similar username "t4linc" was suspended by eBay after selling a couple of fake Jordan RCs: LINK. Same guy?
    Here is the seller's info, per his eBay invoice:

Valrey Sports
    P.O. Box 2806
    Downey, CA 90242

email: valrey_sports@hotmail.com

Nick
    Those buyers really expect to get an authentic jordan rookie for 150 dollars? and 300.00 dollars?? sad
    Good for you.
    Wouldn't it be helpful to put in the actual name/address of the crook when you leave feedback? That way, for example, if the Jordan buyers stuck in the real name when they posted their negs, we'd know for sure that "t4linc" was the same guy who posted the questionable Carew...
    I received this response today on the Carew:

Hello Nick, the card you won was purchased already graded and I cannot back up PRO's grading standards, or any other thrid party grading company. I realize that PRO's grading is not as credible as PSA's or BVG's, but their prices do indicate that. If you would like to pass on this card I have no problem with it, and I completely understand your position. I will be asking for a credit request through eBay stating that we mutually agreed not to complete the transaction. Your account will not be affected negatively in any way. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to e-mail me.

Thanks,
    Joe

Nick
  • Sounds like it worked out real well for you, which is good. I was reading through the thread and could easily see how it could have turned ugly if the seller pressed the issue and wanted to be a pain.
    Should be quite a learning experience I would think - for FREE.

Ken
    Ken's 1934 Goudey Registry Set
    - Slowly (Very Slowly) Working On A 1952 Topps Raw Set (Lower Grade)
  • Congrats Nick!!! Chalk it up to a lesson learned and you saved $211 in the process... image
    Collecting Interests:
    Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

My ghetto sportscard webpage...All Scans - No Lists!!! Stinky Linky

<< <i>I realize that PRO's grading is not as credible as PSA's or BVG's, but their prices do indicate that. >>

Nick
    That worked out great - I think he knows what he has there and was smart enough to quietly close the book on this. I too made a mistake and bid on a questionable graded card and got a refund - albeit with a little annoyance - you did well AND painfree!
    Mikeimage
    Mike
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I think he knows the word is out in regards to his selling trimmed/altered cards, and he doesn't have a leg to stand on. Unfortunately, he will just find another sucker to buy the card, but I am happy it worked out for you.