Home U.S. Coin Forum

First Love...token

VeepVeep Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭✭
I picked-up my first ever love tokens at a show a couple of weeks ago. This one I like the best.imageimage
"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"

Comments

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the purchase. Love tokens can be a lot of fun.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • V,

Where were these minted?

CC
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • gargoyle62gargoyle62 Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    Please tell me these aren't worth anything. I've passed up a couple of these that I've found at work
    (I process coin for a living)
  • VeepVeep Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen all kinds of prices based upon the denomination and the degree of artwork that was put into them. The one pictured is on a dime (Barber, Seated?) and cost less than $10. Another that I have is engraved on one side only and still has the reverse of a Seated Quarter. It was about $20.

Love tokens aren't minted. An existing coin has its surface(s) planed off and is then engraved with some image, monogram or other artwork. As a result of the planing, they are quite thin. My pieces are really quite basic, There are some very elaborate ones out there. I just liked the dime one because it had a person's name and a date engraved on the reverse. It kind of tells a story or at least let's me imagine one.
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    Very neat coin I like the ones that are engraved with seldom used and now kind of odd female first names.
    Like "Minnie" how many females do you know that have a name like that today...image

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watch out. Those can be habit forming.

I have several, mostly on Seated dimes. I buy the holed ones to hang on my vest. As a matter of fact, there's a picture of one of them in my sig line shot of the "Holey Highlights". image

I love that 19th century script.

I had a very ornate one that said "Lillian", on an 1889 dime. Absolutely exquisite engraving, with little rosebuds and everything. That's practically a lost art. I gave it to my mother, since Lillian is her name, after my great-grandmother (though nobody calls her that- she's been called "Happy" since childhood). She took her Lillian love token dime and hung it on her watch band. (Mom has a wild-lookin' watch band- sort of a combination watch band and charm bracelet). We like to pretend that the love token belonged to my great-grandmother when she was young. I suppose there is a tiny chance it could have, though there were probably lots of other Lillians in 19th century America.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file