Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dust off your bong and your black light......

....and take a look at the colors on this coin. Opinions?
LINK

Comments

• BustmanBustman Posts: 1,911
    this too!link

imageimage
  • Man those are way cool,

Don't let Cammie see the bong, or we need to use mine that is made out of Stainless Steel.

Its Cop proof.
    Dave
    In Laurel
    MD

Just a fist full of Dollars

• Awesome colortrails dude!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    howz that thing gonna fit in a bong image
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Don't worry bout that. I have some chit for the bong brother. It will just help you enjoy the colors.
    Dave
    In Laurel
    MD

Just a fist full of Dollars
  • TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Those are the most vivid colors I've seen on a holdered coin yet. That is a great photo also of the coin. PCGS graded, must be real?????image
  • PCGS will grade AT coins, nothing special.
    J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    I have a toned 67 but it's not like this one. It'll be interesting to see what it sells for.

TP
  • Man !! Would i love to own that Oregon Trail !!

(I live in Southern Oregon and have yet to get one of those in my collection) image
    I'm most interested in the boards opinion of the color. AT or NT?
  • imho, both look AT ~ it might be that the color gain was turned upto to 11 by photo software...
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    What's a "bong"?

Cameron Kiefer
    When I first saw the Oregon, (it was posted here a few days ago), my initial impression was that it must be artificially toned. Based on additional information provided by a trusted individual who knows this coin beyond just a picture, I now conclude that it is the real deal.

Russ, NCNE

• << <i>What's a "bong"?

Cameron Kiefer >>

yah, what's a bong?
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would guess AT based on the picture, but I would defer to someone who has actually seen the coin.

How about this one on ebay....
    Link?
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    Both look NT to me.

• << <i>Both look NT to me. >>

Coinguy....I haven't been around long enough to know wether your yanking a newbies' chain.

If the coin is NT... what cause such colors.

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage

<< <i>Coinguy....I haven't been around long enough to know wether your yanking a newbies' chain. >>

I can tell you that Mark rarely yanks chains. He leaves that to me and a couple other smartasses around here. image I can also tell you that he knows his stuff.

Russ, NCNE

• The Oregon belonged to Mike DeFalco (coingame)some time back he still uses it on his web page. It not a "just made" coin and it is incredibly beautiful,

Macqui
  • BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    Heck, if it's AT, I'd like to know how it was done!
  • nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭
    Who lets the bongs get dusty?? That is just cruel!!!
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's interesting who else gets attracted to a thread about bongs and black lights...
  • What's a black light???
    imageimageimage
  • nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭

<< <i>What's a black light??? >>

They were around in the '80s I think.. imageimage
  • so whats the name of this game? the most color wins? thats not a coin it's an Easter egg.
    What's a bong???image
    Herb, I wasn't yanking your chain. I will include a wink or some other hint if I plan to do that in the future.

I believe the color on both of those coins to be "original"/"NT". I can't tell you for certain how/why they toned that way, but, my best guess is from storage in envelopes.
  • In regard to the Oregon Trail half dollar that has been a recent subject of discussion on this forum -- it's totally original. I bought it from John Highfill in November 1984 for $1,000 (bid was around $250 at the time). One of my favorite customers (Eugene Spier) was out from Pennsylvania on business just prior to Christmas, saw the coin and begged me to sell it to him. I really didn't want to but he had just given my wife and I a $300 Persian cat for Christmas and I didn't have the heart to turn him down. I reluctantly sold it to him for $1,100 and told him that it was way too much money. He said he didn't care because it was the kind of coin that you could put in a showcase with a hundred other coins -- and it would be the coin that everyone would reach for first. Subsequently, I arranged for Gene to consign his fifty piece commem set and his Peace dollar collection to Mid America coins for their 1987 FUN Show Sale where it realized $5,100. I knew the person who purchased the Oregon Trail and he later told me that he submitted it to PCGS where it graded MS67. Sometime therefter that I lost track of him and the coin until I saw it in the Superior catalog. You can imagine my surprise after so many years. Anyway, there you have the history of the PCGS MS67 1926 Oregon Trail half dollar as I know it. By the way, this particular 1926 Oregon Trail is the icon coin on my website, and has been from the start. Oh, I still have the auction catalog from 1987 where this coin was featured on the cover.

Mike
    DE FALCO NUMISMATIC CONSULTING
    Visit Our Website @ www.numisvision.com
    Specializing in DMPL Dollars, MONSTER toners and other Premium Quality U.S. Coins

*** Visit Mike De Falco's NEW Coin Talk Blog! ***

Thanks for the history, Mike. It certainly is one breathtaking Oregon!! I wonder what the coin will bring this time around. Anyone care to guess?

<< <i>I wonder what the coin will bring this time around. Anyone care to guess? >>

My WAG is $18,000.

Russ, NCNE
  • ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315

<< <i>Herb, I wasn't yanking your chain. I will include a wink or some other hint if I plan to do that in the future.

anyone know how to remove egg from ones face image

Herb

imageimageimage
    Herb, I see no egg on your face - you and I have no history that would have allowed you to know whether I was being serious or not. Please don't worry about it.
  • Chemical (cannabinoid?) wear, net grade AU 55.
    "It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning."
    - Calvin
    "Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?"
    - Hobbes
  • Man....do you know how much bud can be had for $18,000??? Thats enough to take the sting out of getting taken on ebay, getting an ACG MS65 crossed to a PCGS XF.......As my two favorite stoners sang awhile back...."Up in smoke, thats where I wanna be........" Oh yeah, COOOOOOL colors man......damn, now I gotta 'wake and bake' just thinking about it...goodbye Sunday!!!
    'My name is...... Shakezula, the mic rulah, the old schoola, you wanna trip, I'll bring it to ya.....'
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, but even if they are NT, I wouldn't want them. They look AT all the way. And if they weren't in slabs, most everyone else would agree.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file