Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Got a sniping response from Ebay...if anyone cares

Well my original question was:
I understand the concept of "sniping" and have no problem when
people are actually doing the sniping. I do however feell using third
party "programs" to aid in this practice is "wrong" at best. Is Ebay
looking into possibly "blocking" sniping services and or servers?

And the response:
Hello,

Thanks for writing to us. My name is Richard, and I appreciate the
opportunity to assist you.

First of all, I would like to apologize for the delay in responding and
I appreciate your patience while we were working on your request.
Recently, our email volume levels have been extremely high due to the
unforeseen site issues that the eBay community have been experiencing. I
would like to assure you that you have my full attention.

Although we don't suggest this method of bidding, it is one that some
Buyers use. We are always continuing to improve our site to prevent this
type of behavior. Even if we came up with a way to prevent this, there's
always someone out there programming something else to get around our
fixes. We understand your concern in this matter though and we really
appreciate your time in bringing this important issue to us. Please look
for a fix in the upcoming future.

I hope I have been of some assistance to you in this matter. Thank you
for being part of the eBay community, and have a great eBay day!

With best regards,

Richard Y.
eBay Customer Support

For all its worth Ebay apparently does not "condone" program "run" sniping and is apparently looking into stopping it in the near future. We shall see.

Comments

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    C'mon...Ebay wants to stop something that brings people to their site to buy stuff? Not a chance.

And not possible, either. If they try to block sniper's IP addresses, they will just keep jumping them around. Not to mention, the poor customer relations that would bring. Nobody seems to have a problem with this, sellers or buyers. It's just become a fact of online auction life. If you are bidding your max anyway, and it's high enough, the snipe won't be an issue.
  • Options

first of all, how in the world did you get to actually talk to a human at ebay?

I didn't know ebay had any contact options

run by robots? maybe. stupid robots? most likely.
  • Options
    Why would ebay want to stop anything that increases bid totals? More bids = high commission fees for ebay to collect. Personally, I would never use a 3rd party to snipe because I would never give up my account info to anyone. (I change the password regularly as well.)
    Yes, my ebay id is cardboardjungle.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    The snipe shouldn't be a big issue since you can always select a high maximum. If you don't win, you probably did not want to spend that much more anyway. Items on ebay are not rare anyway. Its like a parking lot, if one spot is taken, it won't be long till another opens. Be patient and don't bid too high. To my surprise I have won items without even being there the last 24 hours or even setting an absolute high bid. You never know what works.

I ditto ctsoxfan!
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but when I first found out about online auctions I used Yahoo a few times. Didn't they have something where if you received a bid in like the last five minutes of an auction, the auction was automatically extended by a half an hour or something? Wouldn't this work better for the sellers and for Ebay because it would increase the final price?
  • Options

<< <i>Correct me if I'm wrong, but when I first found out about online auctions I used Yahoo a few times. Didn't they have something where if you received a bid in like the last five minutes of an auction, the auction was automatically extended by a half an hour or something? Wouldn't this work better for the sellers and for Ebay because it would increase the final price? >>

Excellent! That would and could be, genius. If they set it up that way and just extended the auction another 5 minutes each time a new bid was placed in the last 5 minutes, everyone would still get a shot to bid, and eventually the auction would end fairly and be rewarded to the highest bidder. No one could complain then.

Eventually people would drop out of bidding on any given auction with this situation, and only the people who truly wanted the card would hang around and keep bidding each time it was "renewed". Once the auction was extended, anyone that didn't like the current price would not bid again. Slowly more and more people would drop out and the highest bidder would win the card AFTER everyone else was given a fair shot at bidding. Whether you knew about sniping or not.

Very interesting. I snipe, but I wouldn't mind seeing it go this way either. tell me this wouldn't bring in more $$$ for Ebay. They may be losing out on $$ with the current method. Keep extending it an additional 5 minutes, and the bid amount would keep increasing. The seller and Ebay would be happy about that. And no one could complain about not having a legit shot at winning any particular auction.

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?
  • Options
    Aknot,
    don't be such a crybaby, if you want to win an auction, just bid more. Don't blame it on the sniping service.
    Baseball Card Heaven, the closest card shop to the Las Vegas Strip.

Our current ebay auctions, and of course BaseBallCardHeaven.com
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I no longer bid on yahoo auctions just for that reason, It may be Fair thing to do, but......It increases the chance of a shill driving up a price.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    I used to advocate the idea of extending the auction if there were still active bidders, but with the prevalence of shilling these days it would get ridiculous. Since ebay does not care about shilling, third party snipers are right now the only viable solution. If ebay blocks them, I will bid a whole lot less often.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    AknotAknot Posts: 1,196 ✭✭

<< <i>Aknot,
    don't be such a crybaby, if you want to win an auction, just bid more. Don't blame it on the sniping service. >>

Hmm lets see I could respond by telling you to shut your mouth and if you do not like the topic dont read it nor comment. But since you may be "joking" I will just inform you that this was a topic awhile ago and someone suggested we contact Ebay and see what they want. So I did.

You know I sit back and listen to people running their mouth around here and try to be "quiet" being the "new guy" and all, but no more. Why dont you shut up? If you do not have anything intelligent to say in a topic shut your pie hole and let people talk. Ignore the topic and keep walking.
  • Options

edited to say: now now lets play nice
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>don't be such a crybaby, if you want to win an auction, just bid more. Don't blame it on the sniping service >>

I'm not trying to make this worse - just want to put my part in to clarify the discussion - we have been talking about sniping for a few days and Jim took the time to talk to ebay - I think his point of view is valid and NOT crying - I don't think it is productive to take someones position and dismiss it as complaining if it differs from another's point of view. I'm not digging at KM since I think he's a good guy but in this instance I feel I should support a fellow contributor.
    Mikeimage
    Mike
  • Options
    It's eBay. My guess as to their idea of a "fix" would be to create their own sniping service which guarantees "last bid" to those who pay to use it.

Of course, I'm cynical that way.

Just Morrie
    Collector of Cards
  • Options
    Sorry all, even KM. Im usually not this 'bad". What I should have said was if you do not like the topic and cannot comment constructively on it please do not comment at all.

Had an emergency Root Canal this morning (my first).

KM,
    If you have read any of my previous post on this subject you would find out that to the best of my knowledge I have never been sniped. Sniping by a "human" and being sniped by a "program" are two different "beast" and have nothing to do with each other. I find the sniping with a program/server a bit on the "taking away from the purpose of an auction".

As for someone earlier comment about the "add 5 mins" that would be a nice change of pace.

As for the comment about Ebay commenting, I have had nothing but 24/48 hour turnaround from both Ebay and Paypal when I have a problem/question.

• Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    yeah..lets quit with the "you stop doing this ...you shut up....you go away" stuff on both sides...come on...nobody has any right to tell anybody else what they should or should not do....if i want contact ebay about type of jelly elvis used to put on his famous peanut butter and jelly sandwich then i have every right to do so and then every right to post about it here... I honestly dont see why people cant just read and then move on if they dont have anything constructive to say.... KM....a better response would have been...."nice post- but keep in mind you can simply put up your TOP BID PRICE initially and then go to bed...let the cards fall where the may." there are obviously 2 sides to every story...and those 2 sides should be heard without cross remarks or childish pissing contests.

lothar52
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Another steel cage death match in the works.

I find Aknot's posts to be interesting reading. There is no need for strongly worded personal affronts.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    seems like we have at least one of them per week
    Good for you.
  • Options
    TipemTipem Posts: 881

I personally use snipes exclusively for a couple of reasons.1)I don't have the time to set around and watch auctions.2)It allows me to bid at the last possible time without tipping my hand as to what cards that I am bidding on,thus keeping people from artificially raising my buy price.This used to seem to be happening quite frequently before I started sniping.I would like to think that E-Bay would first address the problems of people that are ripping off buyers(that has happened to me twice),shill bidders,retaliatory feedback(the feedback system is seriously flawed in my opinion),and their lack of revenue protection(sellers pulling auctions without a penalty)before they addressed a situation that obviously brings them increased revenue.They are right in that there will always be a way around the sniping programs.

Just my .02 worth.

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    It seems that there's really no difference between live sniping and programed sniping. Doing away with sniping wouldn't be good for anyone except for the bidder who is looking for a "deal", meaning he gets it for a lot less than he was willing to pay. A seller may see sniping as something that limits the number of early bids, but in reality it would only stop a number of bidders from bidding at all because many are not willing to run the bid up early, and many are not willing to sit around waiting for items to close.
    As for extending bidding, I believe this would drive off numerous biders who would be unwilling to patcipate in open ended competition. But, of course, some sellers may think this is great, but only because they didn't realize that there are fewer bidders participating.
    In the end, everyone bids what they are willing to pay. If you get the item, congratulations. If you don't, then someone wanted it more than you, whether it was a snipe ot not.
    Just my thoughts.
    Garyimage
    We are always better off than we deserve. image
  • Options
    Gary,

The only thing is you can put "100" snipes in with a program (just using a number) where as in "real life" you can only do one maybe 2 at a time.

While "most" auctions dont end at the same time there is enoguh of a "time buffer" that factors in. With sniping you do nothing.
  • Options
    Aknot, interesting topic.

I disagree with the idea that it is wrong to use a third party vendor or software to place a snipe. The way I look at it, for the most part I am paying another company to perform a service for me and hopefully save me money. Sniping is a fantastic tool for the avid Ebayer and I certainly hope it is around for a very long time, however you do raise a very serious point in that Ebay may indeed look to do away with it somehow. This is made even more a reality by the way Ebay has so far made money in any way it can, which I have no problem with. However I can forsee Ebay creating a tool, very similar to their so called insurance plan, and in their own way encouraging users to use their sniping service.

The Internet, Ebay, sniping services, shill bidding, private auctions, ahhhh where have the days gone when you could sit and talk with a dealer, trade stories, develop a repoir, argue about a card or player and come back and do it all over again.
    Gregory Voit
    AKA..
    Ebay - mpn2gwvputty
    Ratso of the Booze Junkies MC
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    I personally enjoy live sniping. It gives me a rush, but I'm afraid it's addictive like a drugimage
    Capecards
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Glad to hear eBay want us to look for a fix in the "upcoming future".
    I hate it when they want us to look into the "past future" for a fix.

That out-source kid in India, that responded to Aknot's question, needs to work on his English.

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's eBay. My guess as to their idea of a "fix" would be to create their own sniping service which guarantees "last bid" to those who pay to use it.

Of course, I'm cynical that way.

Just Morrie
    Collector of Cards >>

Yeah, I saw the words "Please look for a fix in the upcoming future," but it registered as "We will be buying www.esnipe.com in the very near future."
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    As an avid Ebay seller -- I love snipers!!

As an avid Ebay buyer -- I love sniping!!

How can anyone not like sniping? The rules of an auction state a specific ending time. And if a bid is placed before that specific time, then it is a valid bid -- whether it is placed 5 days, 5 hours, or 5 seconds before that posted auction ending time.
  • Options
    Richard...I too am confused as to why you dislike snipers...what difference does it make...it's a bid...where or how it comes...also there are many times when auctions close right after another making it impossible to snipe on your own...sometimes auctions end when I'm not near a computer...lots of other reasons...

What troubles you in particular to 3rd party snipes...what if I ask a friend to bid...that's a 3rd party...
    Henri
    Collector
    Topps 58,59,60,61,62,63,64 Sets
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • Options

<< <i>Aknot,
    don't be such a crybaby, if you want to win an auction, just bid more. Don't blame it on the sniping service. >>

I feel kinda guilty for not responding on this thread yet. I am actually the one that said I would look into whT Ebay thought about the whole sniping thing anyway. I never got around to it, so Aknot took the liberty of talking with the Ebay LIVE HELP group about this matter.

Alot of people were making comments about "looking out for the other sellers" when I told others that I made/make offers to sellers to end their auction early. This is a very effective way for me to get a card I want and not have to wait for the end of the auction. People were upset that I was dodging Ebay charges whenever I did this, and I explained that I didn't care too much because I didn't do it all the time, and Ebay never did anything for me anyway the few times I was burned on cards. It was a ethical issue, and I guess I didn't have any in some people's eyes. Whatever.

I was really interested in how many of the people that were bashing me about asking sellers to end the auction early, were actually upset about me skipping out on Ebay fees, or was it the fact that other Ebayers could not have a fair shot at the card that I was getting from the dealer. It seemed that alot of the responses were indeed concerned about other sellers that may have bid on the auctions that I asked a seller to end for me. Understood.

I had alot of people saying that it sucks when you have a bid on a card that has a few days, minutes, seconds, to go on the auction and then it gets ended because the seller sold it off Ebay. These people were complaining that all of the others did not get a fair shot at that card because the auction was ended.

I brought up the whole sniping issue and explained that I didn't think that this way was very fair for other collectors either. Everyone talks about how great it is to win the card in the final seconds. What I don't get is, what is the difference between putting in your max bid seconds before the auction is over, or 3 days before it is over? That is what most people complain about when we bring up this issue. "QUIT CRYING" "NEXT TIME BID MORE". "IF YOU PUT YOUR MAX BID IN AND YOU DIDN'T WIN IT, THERE'S NOTHING YOU COULD DO".

I agree. So let's say that you are willing to pay $100 for any given card. If you put your bid in 3 days before it ends, and get outbid seconds later, that's life right? That was your max bid anyway, right? But if you wait until the final seconds, maybe you can deprive all of those people who would have outbid you, of a fair chance to do so now. Just maybe they don't have snipe programs?

Everyone wants the card at the cheapest price possible. trust me - I agree 100%. But let's not sit here and say that sniping is definitely not depriving other Ebayers a shot at the card, or Ebay itself some extra $$$. That would be ridiculous. If everyone had to put their max bid in and win an auction thatway instead of trying to guess what the minimum bid they needed to make was in the final few seconds to beat out the current high bidder, Ebay would make more $$$ for sure.

Read my last sentence, because that is usually what happens when sniping. Most people are not putting their max bid, they are just trying to out bid the current high bidder by the least amount possible. in 99% of the sniping cases, if the sniper had one more chance to get in another bid because his original snipe amount was not enough, they would. So, having said that, most snipers aren't putting in their max bids either. Just my opinion on this matter.

Thanks for looking into this Aknot. I have your back in this matter even though I am a sniper also.

I may be flat out SKIPPING Ebay fees when I make a deal with another seller to end his auction early, but i sincerely believe that sniping is DEPRIVING Ebay of money during this method of bidding. And the funny thing is that we are both doing it for the same reason. To get the card as cheap as we possibly can.

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?
  • Options
    I will try to explain why I do not like "sniping".

1) It is a computer/server that does the bidding to get in the bid at the "last possible" moment. Having a friend bid and you bidding at the last possible moment is not the same thing.

2) You (as a seller, buyer and observer) see no "movement" or desire for said item until the last minutes/seconds. It is hard to tell if someone stumbled upon the product and said "ooo got to have it" or it was a snipe program with all that activity. This is a "tool" to tell you how well/much antother product of the same ilk may fair in the future whether you are the seller or buyer.

3) While you are suppposed to put yor highest bid in first, MAYBE you lost out on another and have more money to spend. So now you look at another auction see that there is NO activity on your highest bid so watch in the last few minutes. Because of sniping you may not be able to get your bid in.

4) No "human" interaction. My view is an auction is "interactive". Meaning you make an offer someone counteroffers, you counteroffer that or maybe walk away for a few hours/days, come back etc. Sniping removes that.

5) Decreases the said "value" of an item to people watching from the outside. MOST times yes this about "money". Sniping removes what I described above in 4 and 2 and may "falsely" deflated an item because people were unable to "counter-offer". As for pushing the price UP, well if you put that $ amount in you wanted to pay that dollar amount. So obviously it was worth it to you. (see 3 above for the people that say "put highest bid in first")

Again this is MY OPINION which when I woke up this morning in the greatest free country in the world, am entitled to. image Most responses FOR sniping is:

1) It saves me time
    2) It saves me money

So you get stuff cheaper and faster? So people see continue to loose at "low" prices. They might "give" up on Ebay and go other routes. ESPECIALLY if they are unaware of the sniping programs. It does not bode well for the hobby as a whole, as you are not getting the "infuse" of new blood. You are not getting the "everyone gets a fair chance".

Anyway my jaw is aching and you are probably tired of reading this.

For the record I do not believe I have ever lost a auction to a snipe and that is the furthest reason I would have this stance.

****EDIT**** Posted while Roach was posting his.....did not get a chance to read his yet.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    I love sniping. When I first bid on eBay, I would see my max. bids bid up higher whether I won or I lost. When I snipe, my bid is my bid. Whether I lost by 50 cents or won by 50 cents, I don't get emotionally attached to the result. So I guess I'm not one of the 99%.

As a seller, my cards tend to go for what the market is bearing at the time. If all of the activity takes place in the last 30 seconds then so be it. The first 167 hours 59 minutes and 30 seconds was just marketing time then. In my experience, anti-sniping people tend to be people who are either to cheap to pay $5/month for justsnipe.com or are people who are ticked that their unsophisticated bidding gets topped at the end.

There is nothing unethical about bidding at the last second whether manually or through a software program. People need to stop whining about the rules being unfair and either play the game or sit on the sidelines. Okay -- there's my pre-church rant for today.
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    So roach, what you are saying is you have a problem with someone sniping, which is legal within eBay's rules, but don't have a problem with asking a seller to end an auction early, which is against eBay's rules and could get both ID's banned. And this is somehow going to make eBay more $?

<< <i>

<< <i>Aknot,

I feel kinda guilty for not responding on this thread yet. I am actually the one that said I would look into whT Ebay thought about the whole sniping thing anyway. I never got around to it, so Aknot took the liberty of talking with the Ebay LIVE HELP group about this matter.

Alot of people were making comments about "looking out for the other sellers" when I told others that I made/make offers to sellers to end their auction early. This is a very effective way for me to get a card I want and not have to wait for the end of the auction. People were upset that I was dodging Ebay charges whenever I did this, and I explained that I didn't care too much because I didn't do it all the time, and Ebay never did anything for me anyway the few times I was burned on cards. It was a ethical issue, and I guess I didn't have any in some people's eyes. Whatever.

I was really interested in how many of the people that were bashing me about asking sellers to end the auction early, were actually upset about me skipping out on Ebay fees, or was it the fact that other Ebayers could not have a fair shot at the card that I was getting from the dealer. It seemed that alot of the responses were indeed concerned about other sellers that may have bid on the auctions that I asked a seller to end for me. Understood.

I had alot of people saying that it sucks when you have a bid on a card that has a few days, minutes, seconds, to go on the auction and then it gets ended because the seller sold it off Ebay. These people were complaining that all of the others did not get a fair shot at that card because the auction was ended.

I brought up the whole sniping issue and explained that I didn't think that this way was very fair for other collectors either. Everyone talks about how great it is to win the card in the final seconds. What I don't get is, what is the difference between putting in your max bid seconds before the auction is over, or 3 days before it is over? That is what most people complain about when we bring up this issue. "QUIT CRYING" "NEXT TIME BID MORE". "IF YOU PUT YOUR MAX BID IN AND YOU DIDN'T WIN IT, THERE'S NOTHING YOU COULD DO".

I agree. So let's say that you are willing to pay $100 for any given card. If you put your bid in 3 days before it ends, and get outbid seconds later, that's life right? That was your max bid anyway, right? But if you wait until the final seconds, maybe you can deprive all of those people who would have outbid you, of a fair chance to do so now. Just maybe they don't have snipe programs?

Everyone wants the card at the cheapest price possible. trust me - I agree 100%. But let's not sit here and say that sniping is definitely not depriving other Ebayers a shot at the card, or Ebay itself some extra $$$. That would be ridiculous. If everyone had to put their max bid in and win an auction thatway instead of trying to guess what the minimum bid they needed to make was in the final few seconds to beat out the current high bidder, Ebay would make more $$$ for sure.

Read my last sentence, because that is usually what happens when sniping. Most people are not putting their max bid, they are just trying to out bid the current high bidder by the least amount possible. in 99% of the sniping cases, if the sniper had one more chance to get in another bid because his original snipe amount was not enough, they would. So, having said that, most snipers aren't putting in their max bids either. Just my opinion on this matter.

Thanks for looking into this Aknot. I have your back in this matter even though I am a sniper also.

I may be flat out SKIPPING Ebay fees when I make a deal with another seller to end his auction early, but i sincerely believe that sniping is DEPRIVING Ebay of money during this method of bidding. And the funny thing is that we are both doing it for the same reason. To get the card as cheap as we possibly can.

TheRoach

image >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    Well see Varg there are no rules, actually the response from Ebay was kinda like a rule. They do not condone it and look to the future for a possible fix/solution. See its the people that say "O its not a rule or rules were made to be broken" or "it doesnt fall inder THAT rule" is what gets my goat.

Want it now dont care how I get it as long as there is no LETTER BY LETTER LAW WITH PERFECT PUNCUATION saying I cant.

Again I have never to the best of my knowledge lost a bid to a sniping program.

Again with the whining comment. Lets see what makes it whining? Im stating a fact, that apparently others agree with to include possibly Ebay, that sniping with a 3rd party program/server is "against the rules"?

See the people that come back and say "stop whining, stop complaining" are probably the same ones that look the other way as long as something does not "effect" them. O wait, it will, you will actually have to do something other then letting a program do it for you.

Come up with a reason that everyone can benefit from.

Heres an even better response:

People need to stop whining about the rules being unfair and either play the game or sit on the sidelines.

These "auctions" are not hidden bid auctions. They are supposed to be "living" auctions. Meaning they "move" throughout the life of the auction.

Anyway you people are going to do what you are going to regardless of rules. AND once (if) those rules are in place you will more then likely attempt to find a way to circumvent them.

I think (I doubt it) im done with my preaching. I will attempt to stay away.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>They might "give" up on Ebay and go other routes. ESPECIALLY if they are unaware of the sniping programs. It does not bode well for the hobby as a whole, as you are not getting the "infuse" of new blood. You are not getting the "everyone gets a fair chance". >>

Not to keep beating what should be a dead horse...but what? Anyone selling on Ebay not aware of sniping is a fool. I defy you to find even one big seller not aware of this concept. And, anyone who "leaves" Ebay because of sniping is an even bigger fool. New sellers crop up each and every day, with no end in sight.

In any auction, doesn't the most feverish bidding always take place at the very end? I still fail to see what is wrong with this, and please...snipe away at my listings all you want!
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    I actually never gave too much thought about sniping. Most of my eBay lots have snipes set in at the last second, and as a few have echoed, I don't care when the bids were placed as long as they are placed. As a buyer, I utilize the 3 ways of bidding. 1) bidding on a lot early w/ my upfront bid (usually its a low priority lot that if I don't bid right away, I won't bid at all). 2) to snipe the lot myself to see instantly if I won or lost & 3) to set my snipe service w/ my top end bids in advance. All 3 serve a purpose for me. In fact on Thursday night, I told the wife I would take her out, as this was a rare night off for her. But lo & behold there were 6 or 7 T201 & T202 PSA cards I was interested in, ending after we would leave from seller Bill Dodge. I set in the snipes for the 7 lots, had dinner and a nice night out, came back later to find I won 3 of the lots and paid Bill seconds after that via Paypal, the cards should arrive on Monday - all in all an easy effortless transaction...jay
  • Options

<< <i> In my experience, anti-sniping people tend to be people who are either to cheap to pay $5/month for justsnipe.com or are people who are ticked that their unsophisticated bidding gets topped at the end. >>

I have always admitted to sniping. I always will. I am just trying to look at this from another angle. Anyway, I would love to hear the answer from all of you that Aknot asked in an earlier thread. What if Ebay did not aloow this method of bidding? No crappy answers - would you still do it and break the rules, or would you stay away from Ebay? There isn't an auction site anywhere this big, so don't act like you would just walk away. 8 out of 10 here would still snipe.

By the way Vargha, from my experience, anyone that has the ridiculous amount of posts that you have in a just about a 3 year span, obviously spends way too much time on these boards. Unbelievable! You are the King of No Life in my book.

Yeah whatever...

TheRoach

• Options

<< <i>1) It saves me time >>

<< <i>2) It saves me money >>

Aknot...I have no idea what era you are buying/selling your cards at...in the 58-59-60 era...I do not see what you would call "savings" by sniping...of course I'm only speaking of graded cards...on the contrary...I have seen vintage cards sell for more than SMR (depending on which card it is)...I have seen absolutely no one "steal" a card because of sniping...there are many, mnay people using eBay that are sniping...whether it is 3rd party or themselves doing it...

<< <i>1) It is a computer/server that does the bidding to get in the bid at the "last possible" moment. Having a friend bid and you bidding at the last possible moment is not the same thing. >>

It might not be the same thing...but in the end it is...the auction does not know any difference...it's a last minute bid...done by computer or a friend...there is no difference to the bottomline...

<< <i>2) You (as a seller, buyer and observer) see no "movement" or desire for said item until the last minutes/seconds. It is hard to tell if someone stumbled upon the product and said "ooo got to have it" or it was a snipe program with all that activity. This is a "tool" to tell you how well/much antother product of the same ilk may fair in the future whether you are the seller or buyer >>

If you want references to how cards sold I suggest you check completed deals...it will help you determine what your product "might" do in the future...but that is no guarantee..

<< <i>4) No "human" interaction. My view is an auction is "interactive". Meaning you make an offer someone counteroffers, you counteroffer that or maybe walk away for a few hours/days, come back etc. Sniping removes that. >>

Excuse me but how is you being on a computer making a bid on a another computer "human" interaction...there is no human at eBay taking your information down...it's all done on a computer...eBay is friendless...it is cold and uncalculating...there is no interaction...

<< <i>For the record I do not believe I have ever lost a auction to a snipe and that is the furthest reason I would have this stance. >>

I have...and I snipe all the time...I still do not win every transaction...in fact I've lost a few...because I was out bid...also the snipe did not work (it's not fool-proof)...

I think it's great that you have an opinion...and I do feel that you think sniping is wrong...but the reasons that you are listing do not really hold up...I think there is some other reason...what it is I do not know...

I've done it both ways...and can see no advantage either way...the item is going to sell for whatever it sells for using either system...snipes or not...3rd person or computer...again I do not have any facts on modern or early stuff...I'm viewing it strictly in vintage materials...

I've also sold on eBay and have been sniped (or it appears that way)...and again see no advantage or short-comings...a bid is a bid is a bid...wherever or whenever it comes...
    Henri
    Collector
    Topps 58,59,60,61,62,63,64 Sets
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • Options

<< <i>So roach, what you are saying is you have a problem with someone sniping, which is legal within eBay's rules, but don't have a problem with asking a seller to end an auction early, which is against eBay's rules and could get both ID's banned. And this is somehow going to make eBay more $? >>

Schrst,

Please read my response again before you go quoting me. I am a sniper. I admit that in the response that you quoted. Read the last paragraph in that response please. However, I do feel like sniping is not doing so much for Ebay either when you compare it to me asking someone to end the auction early. Ending an auction early is more severe, sure. But both ways cost Ebay money when it all comes down to it.

I'll say it again. I could care less how much money Ebay makes. I don't care if I unintentionally dodge an Ebay fee when I sell a card I have listed to someone who makes me an offer to end the auction early. Why does anyone else care if I do either? My stance in this thread is to the people who claim that sniping isn't hurting Ebay in some ways, but what I do is AN ACT OF THE DEVIL.

I will continue to say that a ballpark figure as of today for success in asking bidders to end their auction early is like 95% to date. It is ridiculous how many people will do it for the right price. I have tremendous success getting the cards I want by paying for them like I am supposed to, practically every seller I make an offer to is willing to end the auction, but I am supposed to listen, let alone care what a bunch of people on a PSA Forum have to say about it? I could care less. Maybe some of you people in these forums make decisions in life based on what others in this forum say, but I'm a grown man who don't need assistance anymore. Actually not for the last 15 years or so.

I value alot of the opinions that I ask for, but none of them will directly have an effect on the way I do things in life. I hope nobody is upset about that, but I am sure there is some other people in this forum that are looking for a father figure or guidance. Not me.

TheRoach

• Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    By the way Vargha, from my experience, anyone that has the ridiculous amount of posts that you have in a just about a 3 year span, obviously spends way too much time on these boards. Unbelievable! You are the King of No Life in my book.

It's good to be the king.
  • Options
    better left unsaid
    Good for you.
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭
    Yawie99 said:
    > Yeah, I saw the words "Please look for a fix in the upcoming future,"
    > but it registered as "We will be buying www.esnipe.com in the very
    > near future."

Good one!! image

TheRoach asked:

> What I don't get is, what is the difference between putting in your
    > max bid seconds before the auction is over, or 3 days before it is
    > over?

The difference is that when I put a bid in on a card three days before
    it ends, 9 times out of 10 I end up getting outbid. Sniping (which
    I do manually, and not with a service, btw) helps me in two ways.
    It helps me win more cards (providing I do my homework and learn how
    high to bid), and it saves me money by preventing me from getting into
    an emotional bidding war that I might later regret. Sniping also helps
    to prevent unscrupulous sellers from shill bidding up the sell price.

> But if you wait until the final seconds, maybe you can deprive all of
    > those people who would have outbid you, of a fair chance to do so now.
    > Just maybe they don't have snipe programs?

So if I place the max bid that I can afford days before the auction ends,
    and somebody outbids me hours before the auction ends, aren't they also
    "depriving" me of the card? If I can't afford to bid higher, what's so
    fair about that? That's life. That's the hobby of card collecting.
    These little pieces of cardboard can be very desirable, so you're going
    to run into competition. That competition is part of what makes our
    cards hold value. So what if they don't have snipe programs? They can
    do it manually like I do. Sniping, like price guides, messageboards,
    past auctions, etc., is a tool for winning cards in ebay auctions. If
    another collector fails to use these tools, that doesn't make it any more
    or less "fair".

> But let's not sit here and say that sniping is definitely not depriving
    > other Ebayers a shot at the card, or Ebay itself some extra $$$. That
    > would be ridiculous. If everyone had to put their max bid in and win
    > an auction thatway instead of trying to guess what the minimum bid they
    > needed to make was in the final few seconds to beat out the current
    > high bidder, Ebay would make more $$$ for sure.

Sniping is definitely not depriving other ebayers a shot at the card.
    They, like me, have access to when the auction is ending, and they can
    also bid high within the last few seconds. They have the ability to
    look at price guides and past auctions. I am trying to see your point
    of view, but your logic seems to be flawed.

It is also not true that Ebay would make more money if they found a way
    to get rid of sniping. Most of the insane prices you see paid for cards
    occurs when 2 or 3 big money snipers go head to head. Another reason
    why sniping is not depriving other ebayers (at least not any more than
    if you were simply outbid) is because even if you miss out on a card,
    chances are that it will show up again on ebay in the future.

> Most people are not putting their max bid, they are just trying to out
    > bid the current high bidder by the least amount possible. in 99% of the
    > sniping cases, if the sniper had one more chance to get in another bid
    > because his original snipe amount was not enough, they would. So,
    > having said that, most snipers aren't putting in their max bids either.
    > Just my opinion on this matter.

I think that the exact opposite is happening. Most snipers are putting
    their max bids in, and most snipers bid to win the card. I agree with
    your statement that given another chance, a sniper would still bid high-
    er at that moment. But is that the sane thing to do? That's when
    emotion takes over, and let's face it, nobody likes that losing feeling.
    Sniping helps me stay within my collecting budget, and looking back I
    have no regrets about the cards I lost. It's just a hobby to me.

The longer you snipe, the more you realize that it's your last shot at
    the card. Many snipers will bid insane amounts to win a card they
    really want, and when you get two bidders that are sniping on a
    desirable card, that's when you see insane prices. Ebay makes out quite
    well on these deals, and I think that's why they won't be doing away with
    sniping anytime in the near future.
  • Options
    Ok people. I can say that WE ALL AGREE on one thing, and that is the right to our opinions. The PRO sniping people made some valid points, but I still see it a different way. It doesn't mean that it is the right way, but I am having trouble putting it into words. These debates can almost be fun sometimes as long as we do not get personal. I am sure I have been guilty of this a few times so I will stop there.

Snipe on!

Let's get back to other fun issues that aren't so debateable. Cheers!

TheRoach

imageimage
  • Options
    Maybe eBay's idea of a "fix" is buying out Esnipe. image That way they get in all the action.
  • Options
    When people talk of Ebay auctions, they need to realize that it is a misnomer. An auction is an event where bidding goes on ntil there are no more bidders. It does not end at a certain time.

What Ebay has is a "sealed envelope" bid system, except they open up the envelopes and share them with the world before the time is up.

The person that wins the auction is the one who bids the highest during a window of time. It makes no difference whether you bid at the beginning or with 1 second to go. Highest bidder wins. So if you are bidding in a system where the winner is declared from the highest bidder, why in the world would you bid before the last second, exposing your hand to shill bidders, unless you weren't going to be around at the end, and didn't have access to a sniping service.

And you had better believe that there are a lot of people who love to bid up others they know usually bid high.

I always snipe my highest bid, and if someone outbids me, then so be it.

As far as what Ebay said about an upcoming future fix----I have to believe that that is nothing more than customer service BS. The only possible fix would be to turn the sales into real auctions that allowed bidding to continue until all are in.
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• Options
    Buck u hit the nail on the head...................
    Good for you.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Everyone has a right to their opinions...but now people are complaining about sniping! Whats next...people upset at having to bid online to get cards they want. They would rather send "want lists" by snail mail to other dealers and collectors and hope they get a response?

Its improved technology folks.....nothing more, nothing less.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Its improved technology folks.....nothing more, nothing less. >>

John
    I'm a modern/vintage collector with a tendency toward the classic conservative approach but on this one I think you are correct - like it or not - it is nothing more than an efficient absentee bidding mechanism. It's here and approved or disapproved by ebay, it will continue to be used.
    Mike

edit to add: Roach, if you are on the planet - I think you would agree with this?
    Mike
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    1. Yahoo has had the "auto-extend" auction for years.
    2. If Ebay truly felt this feature drove up final hammer prices, they would have implemented it a long time ago.
    3. If Ebay introduces an "auto-extend" auction service, expect to pay for it as a seller. That way like most things with ebay, they get paid up front.
    4. Even if an "auto-extend" option is created, the sniper programs will adjust. It really would not be that hard to program additional auction checks.
    5. There is nothing ethically wrong with sniping.