Home U.S. Coin Forum

My new 1824 bust half

nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
I splurged today and got me this eye appealing bust half. I'm not a bust half expert, but what I can gather from the coin is that it is a later die state, normal 1824. I'd give it XF details with a net VF for old cleaning. I can see it going into a NGC slab but probably not a PCGS slab but it'll stay unslabbed. All in all, a very enjoyable piece and I wanted to share the joy. image

Comments

• I would not send that coin to NGC either as it is a 100% guaranteed body bag. Save yourself the time and money and just keep it raw, as you stated. Beyond a cleaning, the coin looks like it is tooled. If you changed your mind about slabbing it, ANACS would go VF details, NET Fine.

The important thing is that you find joy in owning/handling such a historic piece of our American heritage. I am the same way. The nicest Bust Half in my personal collection is an AU 1823. That's it. I actually prefer VG-F bust halves. They just seem "cool" to me. I am glad that you bought a coin that is very enjoyable. That's what it is all about! Congrats.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • ****NOOB ALERT****

how does it look like it's tooled?
    anita...ana #r-217183...coin collecting noob
  • how does it look like it's tooled?

Perhaps smoothed in the left obverse field. The right obverse field is rough, but the patina covers that area without interruption. The left obverse field has a "smoothed" look to it and the original patina is gone. Just a guess. Besides, it doesn't matter if the owner loves the coin. That's the important thing. I would just never consider slabbing this coin (or most VF coins) at any service.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    I love those curly 2s.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    ttt to show it to the evening crowd. image
  • VarlisVarlis Posts: 505 ✭✭✭
    What Jade Coin said. I think it has a good look to it. image
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Bust half dollars are so cool in this condition. How many times have you played heads and tails so far?

Rgrds
    TPimage
  • Yup. I think everyone has made an accurate assesment of the coin. I like it. It has nice details and is retoning nicely.
  • I just have one question,... how the heck can you call a 180 year old coin new? image

Very nice catch by the way!

Craig
    The Rede we live by: If it harms none, do what you will.

• << <i>I can see it going into a NGC slab but probably not a PCGS slab but it'll stay unslabbed. >>

Try not to buy into the bias around here. NGC is just as strict and just as accurate on pre-1964 coins as PCGS. They do have a more liberal philosphy than PCGS on modern items but that doesn't mean they are not accurate. Its PCGS that applies the double standard. A Morgan that goes 68 would barely make 67 if it was an Kennedy.

Nice coin , why slab it anyway?
    I'm actually not biased against NGC. image I've submitted to them primarily for a year now. Although I haven't submitted anywhere in several months. I thought it might get into a NGC slab because I've seen them be a little more lenient with this series. But I can be wrong, of course. The only thing i wouldn't mind seeing is the reverse retoning like the obv.
  • GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    It never gets boring to look at these wonderful old coins...image
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
    And there is one more I have my eye on, but I don't know if it is still available. The dealer hopefully will bring it to my local show next week and maybe I can snag it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file