Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone know much about Die Clashes on Morgan dollars??

RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭
I saw an 1882-CC GSA dollar with a very nice die clash. Would there be much of a premium for this?

Thanks. Richard.

Comments

• dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, there are not very many die clashes that qualify as top 100 vam varities.

This is good or bad depending on how you look at it. The good part is you don't have to pay a premium for them. The bad part is there is not a premium when you do find them.

Which side is the clash on. Most of the ones I have seen have been on the reverse.
  • 1882-cc VAM 3A and VAM 6A are recent listings that show the die clash. They're both listed as R-5. I don't think there's a premium attached to these.
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all for your input. To answer your question, the clash is visible on both, the reverse and obverse. Quite visible at that.
  • greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Clashes are pretty common in the Morgan series & most have no premium. Many dates have clash marks similar to this one illustrated on an 1878:

There is a premium for those VAM's which involve an 'E' on Reverse, which results from some nasty clashing, like the following illustration:

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file