Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I'd wait to buy Pujols rookies. Trust me.

Just my opinion, but I do not think that he will be able to match last year's success. He should have a good season each and every year, but once he finishes the year like 4th or 5th in the batting race, 5th or 6th in RBI's, and maybe 3rd or 4th in homers, his card's values will come down.

The Card's aren't even going to be a good team this year. That always hurts a player's cards. His Bowman Chrome is solid, but to be paying like 1.5 to 2x book value for his unautographed rookies right now is absurd. This is what I call "bandwagon bidding". Most of his cards are driven up because of the hype he created LAST YEAR. Every year is different, and I really think he will have a good year again, but not quite the same numbers as last year.

If anyone expects him to better those numbers from last year, you may have wishful thinking. He has a great eye for the ball and is an exceptional player for his age. I think he will not see as many pitches as he would like this year, and that may lead to him swinging at pitches that he may not normally swing at a bit into the season. Just my opinion on this guy.

I'd love to own a million of his rookies right now, don't get me wrong. But if I did, I would be selling them right now to the VERY HUNGRY collectors that are eating up his stuff left and right. I'd probably keep the Bowman Chrome Auto though.

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?

Comments

• Options
    my son collects modern rookies and he is SALIVATING for a pujols bowman chrome or spx rookie in 9 or 10. i tried around christmas to win a couple but was outbid by ALOT.
    i'd have to agree on waiting i can't see throwing 5 bills at one of these cards right now. i'm sure he'll be a perenial offensive leader, but his cards are one non-triple crown type season from coming down to earth.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I thought I was the only one who felt this was true. Pujols is a good player, actually a great player, but it seems like it might be tough for him to sustain the hype from his Triple Crown chase last year. Especially, as Roach mentions, on a mediocre team. I would love a Bowman Chrome auto of his also, but I'm not overpaying for his other RC's at the moment.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Since I'm not really a modern collector, what is Albert's top rookies and what are the going prices these days? ...jay
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    i would buy him like a madman....only IF....he had won the triple crown....until he does it he is another carlos delgado in the making.... what were his rookie going for in a 9 a few years back when he hit for power and average...hmmm....about 20x more then they go for now!!!!

just my 2 cents of fear about spending HUGE MONEY on cardboard that was just created....now heritage...you cant go wrong with that...enough set collectors do heritage to maintain value forever. Same with 56 topps and most vintage.

loth
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    theRoach is right, right now this is a SELLER's market, not a buyer's. At this point, what would he have to do for his prices to go even higher? Whatever it is, the odds of it are extremely low. Having another year like his first three would only allow the market to settle, and if it settles it softens.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    He will be hot as long as it takes for the next phenom to come along and all the lemmings will move over to that bandwagon.
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    ohyeah..how hot was big mac in 98 and the few years thereafter??? DID WE EVER THINK he would cool down?? i didnt..and i rushed out and payed way too much for a 85 topps rookie....ridiculou....wait...once he retires they will drop for sure LOL

loth
  • Options

<< <i>The Card's aren't even going to be a good team this year. >>

Uh, you might be suprised....

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I agree, Ben. At the very least, their offense should be just as strong as it has been. If the starting pitching holds up, the NL Central could be a three-team race.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    True,
    the starting pictching has to hold up and be healthy.
    Made improvements to the bullpen. They got a good deal for that sissy boy Drew.

Izzy stays healthy the whole year. They'll be just fine.

• Options

<< <i>True,
    the starting pictching has to hold up and be healthy.
    Made improvements to the bullpen. They got a good deal for that sissy boy Drew.

Izzy stays healthy the whole year. They'll be just fine. >>

Starting pitching has always been the issue. It will be again this year. If they are good, you are right, I will be surprised.

By the way, sissy boy Drew has like 6 spring homers. I am sure he isn't mad about leaving either. But I will agree that I don't like him.

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?
  • Options
    By the way, sissy boy Drew has like 6 spring homers. I am sure he isn't mad about leaving either. But I will agree that I don't like him.

I just knew when he was outta St. Louis he is gonna have a break through year. I won't doubt it one bit. But i guarantee when the day comes were he tweaks his knee the slightest bit
    he'll be on the bench for awhile. I've been a very passionate Cardinals since the day i was born.
    But this is the first guy i just can't stand! All the talent in the world but shows no emotion.
    Seems like all he cares about is a paycheck. Sometimes you gotta suck it up and play with
    the pain.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They got a good deal for that sissy boy Drew >>

Ben
    Be nice as a Braves fan, we're stuck with him now - he does come with 'baggage' tho - that I agree.
    But I'm optimistic, as Roach said, he tearin it up in the spring - BUT - it's a LONG way to the fall.
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    All Pujols would have to do to sustain his card prices is hit .365 with 60 homers and 175 rbi's. Nothin to it!
    Jay
  • Options

<< <i>Since I'm not really a modern collector, what is Albert's top rookies and what are the going prices these days? ...jay >>

I have seen his 2001 Bowman Chrome Auto going for around $1200 and I sold a 2001 Bowman PSA 10 Auto a couple weeks ago for $604.00, I bought it less than two months prior for $295.00, this guy made me an offer that I would have been silly to refuse, the card books for $360.00, but there are only 2 PSA 10's now. It's madness to think his cards will increase in value over the long haul from the already ridiculous levels they are at now. Wait if you want to buy.
  • Options
    What I don't understand is why people continue to pay exorbitant prices for the 2001 Bowman Chrome wax boxes. Are they not aware that the Pujols redemption offer has expired?

• Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Probably not. IIRC, Topps went to a 3-year period for redemptions some time ago. And for some cards, they might still honor it if you ask the right person. I can't imagine they'd throw them away. But there are other cards in that set besides Pujols.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    I agree that now is not the time to buy Pujols, although I said the same thing last year when his Bowman Chrome was selling for about $200 (now it's usually $1200). However, if this guy becomes one of the top three hitters of all time (which he is on pace to do right now), then his Bowman Chrome RC's might be stashed in private collections for good and come up maybe every two or three months on ebay rather than 1 or 2 per week. This could drive the price up to $2500 without too many problems. The economy is also a factor, let's not forget that at the height of the economy the PSA 10 Griffey Upper Deck was selling in the $3000-$4000 range and there were about 2000 of those and an infinite number of substitutes with tons of PSA 8's, 9's and raw ones. With those types of numbers, if Pujols does get better and win three or four triple crowns (it sounds crazy, but look at what he has done and he is only 24 years old this season), then the Bowman Chrome would very easily hit $2500 and possibly as high as $4000.

So my opinion is to stay clear of them right now, but to say that there is no way his cards will go up is absurd. People immediately said this about the LeBron SP Game Used AUTO when it came out at $1200 and it went straight up to $2000 and is still a relatively strong card.
    Jason
    Baseball Card Heaven, the closest card shop to the Las Vegas Strip.

Our current ebay auctions, and of course BaseBallCardHeaven.com
  • Options
    TTT for chits and giggles. HAHA.
    e-mail me @ EHTHOCKEY@YAHOO.COM

Collecting all bowman chrome rc's from 2002 and 2003
  • Options
    I've been waiting for about 3 years now. They still haven't come down.
  • Options
    Pujols is probably more like 28 than 24. It will come out sooner or later, or you will notice it when he does the Sammy Sosa fade at age 35(or is he 40 right now?).
  • Options
    Yeah, that would really suck if he posts .300-40-120 seasons for only 7 more years.
  • Options
    I don't get it. It's still not the time to buy Pujols rookies, right?

They will come down a lot when Boston beats them in the World Series...

I would wait until an off year, then buy them. What goes up, must come down. And it ALWAYS DOES!

Most of the people that were contemplating buying some Pujols rookies, were looking at it as a long term investment. having said that, it is still not the time to buy Pujols rookies. Wait until a minor injury or poor year by the Cards. When they drop, buy 'em up.

Now, if you are looking for some quick $$$, buy all the Reuben Droughns rookies ( Broncos RB ) you can. he rushed for 396 yards in his last 2 games, and this Monday night he will be facing the Bengals on national T.V, who ranks dead last against the run....

TheRoach

• Options
    I was talking more about the part where you said the Cardinals won't even be a good team this year.
    e-mail me @ EHTHOCKEY@YAHOO.COM

Collecting all bowman chrome rc's from 2002 and 2003
  • Options
    Yup, not too much I can say there...

They have been good all year long to top it off. I do think their pitching will be exploited in the Series.

I have 3 boxes of 2001 Leaf Limited to sell as open packs, so I do want Pujols to do well, but my heart will always be with Boston.

TheRoach

• Options
    I got his UpperDeck R/C,Beckett 9 and was wondering the same.Should I sell now or hold on to it??
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Interesting read found this thread in the archives...time to revisit the Pujols debate...4 years later.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    YAWIE...did you get your Pujols Bowman Chrome Yet?

unfortunately i think Howard will clip Pujols (again) for MVP...

eventhough Pujols was awarded 2008 Player of the Year, the voting press doesnt seem to like pujols too much, otherwise he would have won 5 MVP's already....
  • Options
    pooh hole should stop whining about MVP's and give up some of his salary so he could get a better pitching staff.

A lot of players got screwed out of well deserved MVP's, and they were better players than Pujols.
  • Options

<< <i>pooh hole should stop whining about MVP's and give up some of his salary so he could get a better pitching staff.

A lot of players got screwed out of well deserved MVP's, and they were better players than Pujols. >>

like who lee?

• Options
    Like Ryan Howard

Lee
  • Options
    Nice thread, 2004 at $1200. I think you can have yours for $2500 if you are fortunate. He'll slow down, it's just a matter of when. Since 2005 he's averaged .336 AVG 39 HR's and 118 RBI. He hasn't stopped since 2001, it's been a nice run since. I cant think of many players that have been as good as him offensively since then. Alex Rodriguez is the ony player I can think of right now. Ryan Howard has also hade a solid career as well, 2005 ROY,2006 MVP, 2008 World Champion, and probably 2008 MVP. At this time, I'd try and pick up the Chrome AU for the long haul.
  • Options

<< <i>pooh hole should stop whining about MVP's and give up some of his salary so he could get a better pitching staff.

A lot of players got screwed out of well deserved MVP's, and they were better players than Pujols. >>

I tell ya, I think that some folks just enjoy talking out of their rump.

1. Pujols has taken way less $$ than what he is worth in the open market, to play for St Louis(reference Manny & A-Rod salaries).

2. Pujols has done way more financially for the Cardinals than any player since 2001. He puts fans in the stands, and that benefits their payroll capacity very much!

3. Who on earth has been a better player than Pujols, that was screwed out of well deserved MVP awards?

4. Pujols is the greatest hitter we have seen since Ted Williams, yet, some are too silly to realize it.

5. It's a joke to say Ryan Howard is a better player than Pujols. Look at the stats beyond just homeruns/rbi's. Pujols trumps him, and Pujols has had to play in a tougher ballpark, and without the All Star lineup that Howard has protecting him.

P.S. Fandango, I believe Pujols wins the 2008 MVP. After hearing what Peter Gammons said this past week, he made some valid points as to why there is no question that Pujols should be the MVP. He claimed that many writers were leaning Pujols' way, due to the stellar overall season Pujols posted.
  • Options
    ,,>>3. Who on earth has been a better player than Pujols, that was screwed out of well deserved MVP awards?

4. Pujols is the greatest hitter we have seen since Ted Williams, yet, some are too silly to realize it.>>

Teddy Ballgame was screwed out of more MVP awards the Pujols.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

5. It's a joke to say Ryan Howard is a better player than Pujols.

I don't recall anyone ever saying that Howard was 'better' I only recall them saying that Howard would/could/ought to win the MVP
    this year.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>,,>>3. Who on earth has been a better player than Pujols, that was screwed out of well deserved MVP awards?

4. Pujols is the greatest hitter we have seen since Ted Williams, yet, some are too silly to realize it.>>

Teddy Ballgame was screwed out of more MVP awards the Pujols. >>

How's that? 1 year we can maybe make a case for that, for Williams, when Dimaggio won it.

You said a lot of players. Who are they again?

• Options

<< <i>5. It's a joke to say Ryan Howard is a better player than Pujols.

I don't recall anyone ever saying that Howard was 'better' I only recall them saying that Howard would/could/ought to win the MVP
    this year.

Steve >>

<< pooh hole should stop whining about MVP's and give up some of his salary so he could get a better pitching staff.

<<like who lee?>>

Then, gumby said Ryan Howard. According to his words, he is claiming Howard to be a better player than Pujols. That is what I based my thoughts on.

Maybe he was joking, or just trying to get under fandango's skin. I tend to believe gumby is smarter than to think Howard is a better player than Pujols, but who knows.
  • Options
    Ted could have/should have won in 41' 42' and 47' in two of those years he won the triple crown.

Off the top of my head in 74' jeff borroughs was the MVP, im certain that any number of deserving A's players (like Rudi or Reggie) could have won.

in 55' Berra won when Mantle or Kaline could have easily been the MVP.
  • Options

<< <i>Ted could have/should have won in 41' 42' and 47' in two of those years he won the triple crown.

Off the top of my head in 74' jeff borroughs was the MVP, im certain that any number of deserving A's players (like Rudi or Reggie) could have won.

in 55' Berra won when Mantle or Kaline could have easily been the MVP. >>

Borroughs, Rudi, Reggie, Berra, Kaline, and Mantle were better players than Pujols? Seriously?

You have failed to name a lot of players than were better than Pujols, that should have won MVPs. You claimed there were a lot. I'm still waiting..
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Ted could have/should have won in 41' 42' and 47' in two of those years he won the triple crown.

in 55' Berra won when Mantle or Kaline could have easily been the MVP. >>

Borroughs, Rudi, Reggie, Berra, Kaline, and Mantle were better players than Pujols? Seriously?

You have failed to name a lot of players than were better than Pujols, that should have won MVPs. You claimed there were a lot. I'm still waiting.. >>

Edited to say I'll give you Ted Williams. He and Pujols have both been cheated out of MVPs in years they should have won them. No doubt.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I can't say that Mantle or Kaline were better then Pujols, however they were as good.

It also is tuff to compare players from different era's too. Especially with guys that played in the 70's like Reggie
    and Schmidt did.

As for Williams he did lose out 3x for the MVP, twice winning the triple crown and once when he hit 400.

Pujols lost a few MVP's to Bonds too so that is prolly a sore spot for some to take.

IMO Pujols will win the MVP award this yr. I'm thinking he won't get the most 1st place votes though.

If he does not win it Howard I guess will take it.

I am not saying Howard is a better all around player then Pujols.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>I can't say that Mantle or Kaline were better then Pujols, however they were as good.

It also is tuff to compare players from different era's too. Especially with guys that played in the 70's like Reggie
    and Schmidt did.

As for Williams he did lose out 3x for the MVP, twice winning the triple crown and once when he hit 400.

Pujols lost a few MVP's to Bonds too so that is prolly a sore spot for some to take.

IMO Pujols will win the MVP award this yr. I'm thinking he won't get the most 1st place votes though.

If he does not win it Howard I guess will take it.

I am not saying Howard is a better all around player then Pujols.

Steve >>

Steve,

I'm with ya on Williams, but I guess I was not very clear with what I meant. My fault.

Stopyurwhining claimed that there were many players better than Pujols who did not win MVP. I don't see who those "many players" were, because Pujols has put up stats that no other player has ever done in their first 8 seasons in MLB.

Mantle was good, but how many seasons did he drive in 100 or more runs(i think 4 times, and Pujols already has done this 8 times)? I don't believe he was as good as Pujols, but I agree, Mantle was a heck of a talent. Same with Kaline(drove in 100 or more 3 times). Compare their slugging, on base, and batting averages to Pujols'. It's just mind boggling.
  • Options
    No. I claimed that many deserving players got shafted out of MVP's. whether or not they are as good as Pujols is irrelevant.

There are dozens of players who didnt win the MVP that should have, and lost to an inferior player or inferior season. It is the timeless magic of MVP voting.

• Options

<< <i>No. I claimed that many deserving players got shafted out of MVP's. whether or not they are as good as Pujols is irrelevant.

There are dozens of players who didnt win the MVP that should have, and lost to an inferior player or inferior season. It is the timeless magic of MVP voting. >>

Here are your words:

<<pooh hole should stop whining about MVP's and give up some of his salary so he could get a better pitching staff.

A lot of players got screwed out of well deserved MVP's, and they were better players than Pujols.>>
  • Options
    Stan, it's clear that you like to hear yourself type, it's also clear the St. Louis fans seem to have an unhealthy manlove for pujols. I would recommend therapy and depakote.
  • Options

<< <i>Stan, it's clear that you like to hear yourself type, it's also clear the St. Louis fans seem to have an unhealthy manlove for pujols. I would recommend therapy and depakote. >>

I like having civil baseball discussions/debates, like steve and I are having.

You fail to answer the question, and come with personal insults, when you can't refute what you clearly said. Typical of yourself.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭

<< <i>unfortunately i think Howard will clip Pujols (again) for MVP... >>

That will be a real shame if Howard wins the MVP over Pujols. I am not a huge fan of either, but what Pujols did this year in my opinion was clearly far superior than what Howard did.
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    How much do 2001 Bowman Chrome Pujols Auto PSA go for?

Buyer's market or seller's?
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    Pujols is also the guy who said "he wasn't that good, he didn't have anything" when Tom Glavine one hit them 2 years ago...a future HOFer might I add. Then he promptly supported a known cheater in Bonds the very next day. I'm not saying Pujols is a jerk or a juicer, we all know he's a bit of a whiner, but keep in mind an HGH test isn't far off for those of you who are planning on dropping the coin on a Bowman Chrome RC. I'm sure the Cardinal apologists didn't put any stock in his old JuCo trainer (who he's still very close with and works out with in the offseason) getting busted with HGH...what with HGH's main medical pro is vastly improved eyesight. Cards fans are among the best and most loyal in the league but man are they apologists...still backing McLiar and those other cheaters/liars/frauds like Ankiel, Glaus, Ryan Franklin, and considering McLiar and Edmonds were so tight, I'd bet my car he was taking the spike too. If I were a Cards fan I wouldn't collect anything Cardinals related that doesn't have Stan Musial's picture on it...or Bob Gibson or Ozzie...or basically anyone that came before the Tony LaRussa known roids-enabler era.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    STM - how about Piazza as a better player than Pujols?

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.