Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Hey Merc Collectors-What Date Are The Toughest!

fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
I continue to have a problem finding a few unc coins. I am looking for low end uncs (the high grade stuff is out of my range--soon the low end unc will be too the way this market is going).

What do you consider the thoughest of the tough to find in any unc grades?

Here is a list of semi-keys I consider tough in no particular order.

1925-D
1925-S
1918-D
1926-D
1919-S
1924-S
1926-S
1935-S (with full bands)
1939-S (with full bands)

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would add the '19-D, and the '27-D & S. If you're going after FB coins, the '45-P has to be on the list.

The Big 3 (lowest original mintages) - the '16-D, '21-P, & '21-D can be found in larger auctions with some regularity, but there are other dates that are scarcer. The problems are having the $$, and being willing to outbid all of the other bidders. I'm still not sure if I won a '21-P in the Heritage auction in Portland, but I think I did.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tony,

Those sound right, in nice UNC's they are all tough - depending on what you consider UNC image , and yup you did miss out the 19-D and 27 sisters.....

Marc
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I guess I lucked out on the 1927 D&S both coins were offered by message board members. I purchased the 1927-D from JStevens, and the 1927-S from JOM.

So, it looks like I owe Jason, and John thanks, So Thanks!image

Edited to add this. Marc, I consider anything with MS in front of the grade Uncirculated. AU coins IMO are circulated (ever so slightly, but never the less circulated).

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
    Hi Tony,

I would add the 23-S to the list.

Regards,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Finding spectacular coins for this series is fairly easy, as rolls of every date were saved. "

This is the first sentence that appears on page 157 of the New PCGS Coin Grading Guide when Eye Appeal is discussed. A small concession was stated that a few dates were a little tough but still were available with spectacular surfaces.

Now guys will you please quit whining about not being able to find a date. PCGS says its easy so garsh darn it, "It Is"!!!

• Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rolls may have been saved at the time of issue, but most of those early rolls were dispersed decades ago. The only pre-1934 better date hoards that I can recall in recent years were:

1) from (I believe) Yale University, where rolls of 1924-D and 1925-D dimes were found. I don't remember the exact date of their discovery, but I think it was within the past 10-12 years, and

2) the roll or two of 1930-S that was sold primarily on Teletrade in the early 1990's.

Does anyone know of any other discoveries, or of any early rolls that are still intact? I wouldn't be surprised to hear of rolls of '16-P, '29-P & D, and '31-D, but I would consider any others from before 1934 to be remarkable.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!