Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Naming names: what's allowed?

I've seen posts where the alleged bad seller's business name, EBay handle, CU handle, etc. is conveyed, while other posts go into detail about the transaction, but no identity is posted. What's the rule on these boards about naming names?

Obviously I have a scenario. When I received nine raw baseball singles advertised as NM, I gave immediate positive feedback. After a few days, I actually looked at the cards and two had creases, six were EX-EXMT, and one was NM. After three unanswered emails, the seller said based on the scans the cards look fine, and maybe I was being too picky. He offered 20%, but the cards in anything but NM are worthless in the set I’m trying to build.

If and when I scan and post these cards for your viewing pleasure (post will be entitled, “A Blind Person’s guide to NM”), most should support my claim. Also, if I were trying to cheat someone (with my 100% positive feedback), I wouldn't have given positive feedback as I could have used potential negative as leverage. The seller also has very positive feedback so I don't think he did anything maliciously. He probably can't bear to give a refund or admit that maybe he scanned the cards without really looking at them. Yes, I goofed by giving positive feedback before actually studying the cards, but that doesn’t invalid my claim.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin

Comments

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    If your name gets named you cant get chinese at su mings...image
    Good for you.
  • ...and six get me eggroll.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • DhjacksDhjacks Posts: 343 ✭✭
    I named an offending seller a while back, and I think there were a few people who had a problem with it.
    I'd personally like to know if a seller has been consistently ripping people off though.
    It also seems to me that giving a name would allow other posters to come to the defense of the seller.....if he has had some positive transactions.
    Working on 1969 through 1975 Basketball.
  • if you feel that the seller blatantly misrepresented an item and refused to give a refund, ignored your emails, or otherwise jerked you around than by all means NAME NAMES. you'd be doing a service to honest dealers as well as unsuspecting victims. there is no provision to say you can't name these guys.

however, if the guy made an honest mistake on a couple of cards i would take it for what it's worth....but 8 times out of 9? the law of averages would tell me that this guy is overgrading ALL of his cards.
  • MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    I see no problem with naming names if you have had a bad EBAY experience. I would be careful in stating facts and not just making accusations. Here's a good example:

Allowed: Gary Moser [neverpayfullprice.com, jodi-mo etc] sold me 11 cards which came back trimmed and altered from PSA.

Not Allowed: Gary Moser [neverpayfullprice.com, jodi-mo etc] is a card doctor and crook. He sold me 11 cards which came back trimmed and altered from PSA.image
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • A nice lesson on it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Thanks guys.