Home U.S. Coin Forum

Please Recommend HALF DOLLAR books and DOLLAR BOOKS

mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
I have:
V.A.M. book
Breens Complete Encyclopedia

I'm looking for books on all U.S. 50¢ and $1.00 coins issued.

Mainly for reading and partially because i'm thinking of retargeting my collection.

--------T O M---------

-------------------------

Comments

• MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    Overton Bust halves 3rd ed.

Miller Morgan and Peace dollar textboox
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    The Kennedy Half Dollar Book by James Wiles. It's the definitive work on the series.

Edit: Oh yeah, and there's some book by Tomaska about the ugly predecessor to the Kennedy.

Russ, NCNE
  • rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    Wayne Millers Morgan and Peace Dollar textbook......
    Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Bowers' Silver Dollar Encyclopedia - out of print, but you can sometimes get it on eBay or from the numismatic booksellers; covers all silver and clad dollars - two huge volumes!

Wiley & Bugert - Seated Liberty Half Dollars. It's still available, I think.

Bruce Fox - Walking Liberty Half Dollars - also out of print and hard to find, but excellent.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• For Early Dollars (Flowing Hair & Draped Bust) - The United States Early Silver Dollars by Jules Reiver. I could be wrong on the spelling of the last name (all my books are currently packed up).

The Al Overton book for early halves.
  • mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    Found bowers book for $500 book 1 like new book 2 still wrapped (unopened). Is that the going rate? I'm not really a "new book" nut. I want to read the thing not shelf it and brag about owning it image

--------T O M---------

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite Silver Dollar Books are:

1. Dave Bowers Brand New Morgan Dollar Redbook - well worth the money!
    2. Wayne Millers Morgan & Peace Dollar Textbook - Dated but a classic
    3. I do not have Dave Bowers Original 2 Volume Silver Dollar Encyclopedia (Classic for all Dollars)
    4. Van Allen & Mallis (VAM) Morgan & Peace Dollar Encyclopedia
    5. John Highfill's Silver Dollar Encyclopedia

Happy Reading !!

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    $500 for the Bowers book woud not surprise me, it is an expensive book. I have heard that he is working on a revision but I can't confirm that. Some of he ANR people here might know something about it though.
  • Two books that I have stricktly pertaining to Walkers are "The Walking Liberty Half Dollar" by Anthony Swiatek and "The Complete Guide to Walking Liberty Half Dollars" by Bruce Fox... Both of these are out of print.
  • DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    $500 for the Bowers' Encyclopedia sounds about right - that book has done nothing but appreciate in price since it was published. (Its price performance has been better than almost all of my coins!) I heard a year or so ago that it wasn't worthwhile financially for him to do a revised version, which is why he came out with the Morgan Dollar Redbook. I'd be interested in knowing if there's a new edition on the way!

I think that Brooklyn Gallery still has copies of Swiatek's book on Walkers.

I didn't care for Highfill's book on dollars - too many pictures of himself, his wife and his friends. I guess if you can get it cheap. . . It's a big book, too (8 1/2 x 11 and 3 inches thick)

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• keojkeoj Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    I own Bowers two book Encly. and it is my most dog eared numismatic reference book. I would say that if you collect Early, Seated or Trade dollars, it is the book to have. There are more options for Morgans and Peace dollars. I also have Breen's book, but be careful, there are many mistakes and misattributions that exist (at least I have found that to be case for Trade Dollars).

keoj
  • I recommend The Ultimate Guide to Sacagawea Dollar Die Varieties by DorkKarl. It's almost 3 pages long, but it's well written. image

.......or, Collecting Accented Hair Kennedy Halves for Fun and Profit by MadMarty.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd also recommend the cherry pickers guide and the RPM book.

Additionally there's the Coneca Attribution Guide to Eisenhower Dollar Die Varieties by Wiles
    The Accugrade System-AH,
    The Authorotative Reference on Eisenhower Dollars-Wexler et al (this is a good one)
    And Cameo and Brilliant Proof Coinage- Tomaska. (has some info not available elsewhere)
    Tempus fugit.
  • ttt

for dennis. image

I'm still lookin for the other.
  • mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Accugrade System-AH, >>

huh?

--------T O M---------

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hager wrote this in 1986. It is more about Ikes than the grading system he employed to grade
    them. It is actually pretty interesting and was the first book to deal primarily with any modern, so
    was ahead of its time in at least this regard. It should be taken with a grain of salt.

Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file