Home U.S. Coin Forum

Die Polish Marks on Moderns

Hey-lo all. This might be of extremely little importance to many of you, but I would like to hear some opinions. I searched a roll of the new Jefferson Nickels this evening. And pulled out a couple that have die polish marks, they also look like they have a strike-thru, but I'm unsure, and really can't capture either good in scans. But, I'd like some opinions on how common it is to find die polish marks in the fields of modern coins, and if there are any collectors that pay premiums for such coins? Do you consider it a mint error? Or just a normal part of a coin? I know it's much more common on earlier dates. I've seen it a lot on my Mercury Dimes, and have compared, and I am quite certain I am looking at the same kind of die polishing marks on theses coins. Thank you for any and all opinions. And thank you to Cladking for his opinions that I already got through a PM conversation.
-George
42/92

Comments

• fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Can you post a picture?

IMO the strike through stuff won't add value unless it is some super special coin. I went through a bag of "P" coins and found alot of strike through marks.

As far as polishing, there will probably be no added value.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• I couldn't get very good pictures... this was the best I could do... and I had to tweak the contrast to get it to show up as something...

-George
    42/92
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I think you are seeing the same thing I saw on the coins from my bag. Again, IMO there is little or no extra value. Maybe an error expert will chime in and let you know.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Cladking said the same, that it would probally be more of interest to an error collector...
    -George
    42/92
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Die polish is not very common on moderns. There is a tendency to just install the eight
    dies in a quad press and run it until one breaks or wears too much. There are a few exceptions
    like '72-D quarters and some of the SMS coins.

Since they are unusual it's possible that there would be some interest if this proves to be a tougher
    issue on this coin which would seem likely.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Any other opinions out there? I'd rather enjoy getting more than 2 responses... even if you agree with these 2... tell me, so I don't think you all are just ignoring me...
    -George
    42/92
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    JrGMan,

I went through 1000 new Jeffs last week, and MANY of the coins had evidence of die polish, particularly just inside the rim at 4:00 and 8:00 on the obverse. I was quite surprised. Many also were filthy, and some toned with reddish areas. I saw perhaps ½ dozen with threads struck-thru. Die polish doesn't help or hinder the grade, but to many collectors it's undesireable. Just for fun, take a look at my no FG 82 half. Now THAT'S die polish.

Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Thank you DHeath
    -George
    42/92
    No problem, and BTW - like Cladking, I was quite surprised. I understood the process just as he described it.
  • Maybe they are trying to save money by extending the die life with the polishing?
    -George
    42/92
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, Don, THIS is die polish image

Large Pic 1
    Large Pic 2

What's cool is how it dictates the lustre completely:

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
    Yup....that's a nice one.image

While we're talking about the new Jeff, I thought I'd show you a goofy one JrGman. The first pic shows the slightly off center strike. The second shows either a cud or the beginnings of a die crack, and the third shows the effects of machine doubling on the mint mark. (all the same coin)

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The second shows either a cud or the beginnings of a die crack, >>

Can't be a cud... cuds are only on the rim... I think it's basically a term to mean a die break on the rim image

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    I have no idea. I just didn't want you to think that I was ignoring you.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Guys

i wouldn't be so certain that the process is as Sam pointed it out, inferring that a dproblem die is just scrapped or that all eight are changed at the same time after a run of however many strikes. i searched through a very small quantity of Jeffersons last week, four rolls of 2003-D and two each or the 2004 dates. i also found coins with evidence of die polish and much to my surprise i found a 2004 which was quite obviously an early strike from an obverse only die change. my take is that with the staggering quantities minted today, it's less noticed when something is done.

al h.image
  • So Keets, do you think this is of little to no value?
    -George
    42/92
    hey JrGman

that would be my thought, but there are collectors who would pay a premium for two boards if they were nailed together right!!

al h.image
  • image Thanks for the honest answers keets! image
    -George
    42/92
    hey Jeremy

while i could be wrong, though cuds tend to be at the rim, they aren't exclusive to that area. if a crack or section of die in a more central are of the die was to chip out due to fatigue, a cud would develop.

al h.image
  • Usually wouldn't that just be a "die break" if it's in the middle... hmm... I thought Cuds were exclusive to the rims though...
    -George
    42/92
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    It has been discussed several times whether or not a major die break has to be at the rim in order to be called a cud. While error collectors tend to define it that way, it makes no sense to me that if a chunk of the die is missing at the edge, even if it is a small piece, it is a cud but if it is missing in the middle of the die, even if it is a large chunk then it is NOT a cud. Recently a member posted a picture here of a coin that had a major die break where almost a third of the die was gone, but it wasn't on the rim. Looking at the coin, I don't know how you could not call it a cud. I thought I had saved the picture, but I can't find it now.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file