Home U.S. Coin Forum

1880-S Morgan

A dealer has this coin as MS63 PL and wants prooflike money. Your thoughts please....Ken
.image
.image

Comments

• Pics don't look too Proof-Like to me... I'd think the fields would look darker in the pictures... and it looks like there's frost in the fields... just my unprofessional opinion...
    -George
    42/92
  • Looks like it has a "proof like" appearance to me. Not a deep proof appearance but proof "like" anyway.
    There are all kinds of differing grades, or conditions, of "proof" in my opinion. It's up to the buyer to agree or disagree with a stated condition and make an offer, or bid accordingly.
  • gemtone65gemtone65 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    The seller can describe this coin as PL, but the grading services won't and it's not. It seems like a coin almost has to be almost DMPL on both sides before PCGS and NGC will call it PL these days.
  • 63 yes...PL no
  • TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    Ken
    I'd pass...Pl sometimes is in the eye of the seller and unless it really stands out and catches your fancy I'd pass.

Tom
  • BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

plenty of 80-s morgans to choose from.

i think for a nominal increase in money, you could own a much nicer coin....a solid PL with decent cameo in 64.
  • morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    PQ 64, maybe not PL. A real cutie. If you can't get her off your mind, then have her.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭
    I would hold off and cherry pick to a degree. The 1880-s has some killer pls out there in low grades, kind of like the 1881-s.

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS-63 but doesn't appear to be PL from the photo. Many 1880-S (and 1881-S) early S-Mint Morgans display brilliant semi-PL to satiny surface luster, but relatively fewer of them display actual dual-sided mirror PL/DMPL surfaces.

I have noticed a progression in surface luster which appears to be caused by the progressive striking for more coins as follows:

DMPL ==> PL ==> Semi-PL ==> Satiny ==> Frosty

Ken: I hope that this is of some help...

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Thanks guys! I'm not going to buy the coin, even for my raw set....Ken
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing special for an 80-S...pass if it ain't cheap.
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file