Home U.S. Coin Forum

Would you ever consider buying a cleaned coin?

Ebay has what appears to be a nice ANACS 1901 Barber half. It is graded AU detailed Net XF but cleaned. I contacted the seller and asked about visible hairlines and milkspots; but the response I received was "I only know what is on the holder." I was considering a 20th century type set and this looked like a good purchase. Take a look and give me your honest opinion.

1901 Barber Half

Thanks

KoolCoin

Comments

• There are plently of nice barbar halves if you just want a type coin. I wouldn't buy it if it were me.
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    If it dosent bother you and the price is reasonable for a 45 then go for it.
    Original and less detail or cleaned and more detail for the same price.
    Its a personal choice, if cleaned bothers you then don't.
  • only if it is very scarce/rare
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought one--an UNC detail Indian cent for $5. Why? I wanted a good reference of what to never buy.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES!

I just bought it via BIN.

Thanks for the leadimage
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
  • GoldfingerGoldfinger Posts: 319 ✭✭
    It depends on the coin, of course. Just because cleaning devalues a coin doesn't mean it has no value (one of the reasons I like ANACS). A cleaned or dipped coin can still have eye appeal, and if it's a true rarity it might be a good value.

That said, I don't think it makes sense for a 20th century type set. You can do better for the money.

-Jay
    small_d

e-mail me here

WINNER:
    POTD 8-30-05 (awarded by dthigpen)
    POTD 9-8-05 (awarded by gsaguy)
    GSAGUY Slam 12-10-04
  • sure, if it filled a hole or if an uncleaned one was too expensive. after you get a real coin, you can give the cleaned coin to a kid who might take up the hobby. everyone wins and the sky won't fall in if someone has 1 or 2 in their collection.
    anita...ana #r-217183...coin collecting noob
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ANACS is very quick to assign net grades so it is very possible to find nice coins in their net graded holders. My main problem with this coin is that the seller did not answer your question. Do you really want to reward this type of seller? In the case of a coin like this, which is not rare, I would say pass.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • KollectorKing,

<< <i>YES! >>

<< <i>I just bought it via BIN. >>

<< <i>Thanks for the lead >>

It wasn't meant to be a lead!!!image

I guess I learned a lesson!!

Thanks for the help, excellent points pro and con!!!

KoolCoin
  • <KollectorKing,>
    << YES! >>
    << I just bought it via BIN. >>
    <It wasn't meant to be a lead!!! >

I'm hip - man that was cold! image
    SNIKT!
    You are doing well, subject 15837. You are a good person.
  • tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭

<< <i>YES! I just bought it via BIN. Thanks for the leadimage >>

That's not what he meant. That was not cool.

Tom
    Tom

• CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KoolCoin,

Try not to post the link to an auction that you are going to bid on. The reasons are now evident. LOL If you must, just save the photo from the auction and post that. image
  • trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Never ever link a coin listing that you are interested in unless you are willing to face extra competition. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Yeah, that sucked.

Anyhow, I collect early stuff and the vast majority of it has been dipped at some point. As long as it was just a dip and not a scrub and has retoned nicely I don't hold it against it. For a Barber half, I'm betting you could get a nice original one.

Sorry you got sniped like that. It really wasn't very nice.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cleaned coins are often discounted excessively. They can often be "redirtied" with
    relatively little effort and some time. If you don't like them though there's no reason
    to have it in a collection.
    Tempus fugit.
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think having that auction sniped out from under you was a blessing in disguise. I really think you will find a coin that better suits your needs than that one. At least this way you will find that better coin and not have to say..."dang, why did I get that cleaned one!?"
  • Cladiator,

Yes, your probably right. I've been around long enough that the question should not have even been asked. I was warned by many years ago to never buy a cleaned coin because it will "come back to haunt you." Sometimes we just forget and tend to lose sight of our common sense image

Thanks again everyone for your help regarding all aspects of buying a cleaned coin!!

KoolCoin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file