Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Determination of Cleaned by grading companies

Perhaps OT a bit, but please bear with me. I find I get better and more civilized answers here than the Liteside. image

A couple of days ago, I got back my first ever submission of anything to any service. Turns out my 1913 Indian Head Quarter Eagle (U.S.) was graded "Net EF-45, Cleaned" by ANACS.

My question is, how do grading services determined if a coin has been cleaned? If you have a coin that's well worn but also "bright and shiny", that's a dead giveaway. But this one was much more subtle.

I'm certainly not challenging the Cleaned status. I trust ANACS got it right. But rather, I'm wanting to know for my own benefit, so I can avoid unknowingly picking up such coins in the future. image

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ANACS is very tough on cleaned coins because they net grade. Even if a copper coin is fully retoned they will still give it a cleaned designation, though in this case they usually don't deduct much from the grade when assigning a net grade. When you see as many coins as the graders do you can spot the subtle differences in cleaned coins. My understanding is that ANACS doesn't have much of a turnover rate among its graders so they become very skillful at detecting various types of cleaning.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like the skill of detecting cleaned coins comes mostly from experience, then. Thanks for the input, 291fifth.