Home U.S. Coin Forum

1881-S Morgan $1 - Opinions? Grades?

Any opinions on this common date 1881-S Morgan $1? Wanna take a guess at the NGC grade? The coin has a neat "bag print" on the cheek (this on a mostly white untoned coin - odd). Thanks! image matteproof

Remember Lots Wife

Comments

• CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    64?
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like an NGC MS-65 PL to me -- Rev looks more PL than Obv to me from picture. I wouldn't be shocked if it is an a 64 holder or if it's in a 66 holder. It looks like a nice 65 to me... although they grade 1881-S's very tough because they are all so nice!

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Nice. I'd say it's at least a 65 (PL?), maybe higher. Pics are kinda small to judge.
  • BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

i'll go high and guess MS66. the reverse does look flashy, but judging from that pic I'd say no dice on the pl.

a very nice looking coin...I especially like the slight edge toning--thanks for posting!
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Very nice. Would like to see a straight on shot. The angle can hide some of the abrasions and such. Pretty coin.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    65 pl
  • DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭
    MS-66

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>a very nice looking coin...I especially like the slight edge toning--thanks for posting! >>

The light brown edge toning which is a bit heavier at the 12:00 top position of the coin, leads me to believe that the coin may be in one of the old NGC generation "keyless" holders...

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • bozboz Posts: 1,405
    NGC MS66
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Man - you guys are really terrific graders. The coin is in an older NGC holder. It is graded ms64 pl but I'm certain it is a lock 65 pl with a shot at 66. The cheek is very smooth and chatter free. The coin is a no questions PL - flashy mirrors. Unfortunately, the photo does not really reveal the full mirror flash (everytime I try to photograph a PL coin to capture the mirrors, I keep getting an image of me with my Nikon reflecting back from the coin! - image). I bought the coin because I liked the textile print on a white coin (usually textile prints are on rainbows). This coin is probably not worth cracking due to the common date. Thanks to all of you for the input. Below is another photo as straight as my shaky hands can handle (image). The dark cloudy sections (near the cheek) is a reflection of my camera on the coin. Thanks! matteproof

Remember Lots Wife
  • BigGreekBigGreek Posts: 1,090
    MS-65 can't tell if PL
    Please check out my eBay auctions!
    My WLH Short Set Registry Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file