Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Sad Day in Mercville

marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
Last nite in Portland a lowly 27-D Mercury Dime went for over $2500 in 64FB huh?, a 25-D 66FB went for .......never mind ....I had my heart set on a couple of really nice GRIP dimes including these two, and well I'm happy for the consignor image amazing what the better Merc's are selling for these days! Are these next in line to explode?
19-D AND 19-S 64FB well over what I expected image

I won't cry, they were really ugly, infidel examples, and it makes no difference to me. I'll be patient. So what if I was oubid over and over - - - - so what - I'm used to getting spankedimageimageimage

Marc

Comments

• Options
    I'm sorry you missed those. But, like you said, I'm happy for GRIP. Since I'm long Mercury dimes I'm also happy to see strong prices for me image
  • Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
    Hi Marc,

I understand. Everything seemed to go really strong. I think Al will be very happy with the results, and he will be well financed to start on a new and interesting series. Great for the dimes we already have, but it sure is making it tougher to fill those last few holes. Seems like we have been treading water for months, while there has been lots of red in the sets behind us.

Regards,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Grip's" Merc collection, I believe, did very well last night. I assisted Grip with the reserves and, together, we at least made the "upgraders" pay for those shot upgrade coins image

That 1919(s) for example which you mention, which sold for close to $7,500 for an MS64, was reserved that high because I graded the coin solid shot MS65. Obviously, a few others agreed and Grip got everything he deserved on the coin image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marc do not feel too bad about not getting any of the Mercs. Today I talked to a dealer at the Portland Show that had bid on about twenty of the Mercs and was this guy singing the blues. He indicated that he was blown completely out of the water by other bidders.

After going to a show like Portland I can now see why Mercs are heading up a little. I walked the floor twice today and probably three times yesterday. Not a single coin was bought. Reason one was because the dates I wanted were not available and reason two was that GRADEFLATION has hit this series big time, especially the later dates.

Supply and GRADEFLATION will put myself into a very cautious mode from here on out. I'm here to tell you right now that some ugly dimes are getting put into slabs. What a shame for collectors that cannot travel the country in search of their coins. image

Ken

PS: Its a good thing I bought the three dimes Tuesday.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    My congratulations to Grip!

I know with the way this series is headed, it is going to be very diffecult for me to complete my set with all mint state coins. (We all share the same pain.) I am going to settle for lesser grades for now and complete the set, hoping to find something in low end MS (60 to 62, maybe 63). On a brighter note, I am glad I started when I did, and I am happy with the MS dimes I have now, because it would be a lot tougher now than it was two years back. At some point I am going to sell the coins I have replaced with higher grades and maybe, just maybe, I will be able to find something and use those funds to make a tough purchase. My list is tough and seeing some of the prices at Heritage makes me smile, because the flip side is the fact that the entire series is going up in value. I would really be distrought, If I was starting now. The entire series is getting tougher.

The coins I need and upgrades are tough dates (or high priced). I would like Unc coins someday!
    1916-D current grades AG03, and G06 (even these low end grades are going up quickly)
    1919-S I don't even have a hole filler
    1921 current grade AU55
    1921-D current circ place holder
    1924-S current grade AU55
    1925-D current circ place holder
    1926-S current grade XF45

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marc,

I'm sorry you missed out on the coins you wanted, but very happy for Al. He should be able to to some heavy-duty coin shopping after this sale. He had said something about Bust halves as a possible area of interest, but it will be interesting to see what he ends up doing.

After seeing what some of the Mercs in the B & M auction went for recently (especially the '25-D in 64FB), I was prepared to pony up this time, but there was only one that I really wanted - Al's '21-P in 65FB. It appeared to be a nice coin, but perhaps not as good a strike as the B & M coin. I had the high internet bid, as I did with the one in B & M's auction, and the final sale price reflects my bid plus the juice, so I believe I won it. I think someone mentioned here that it's possible to lose to a floor bidder at the same price, so I'm still not sure, and haven't received an e-mail from Heritage. I wish they had an easy way for you to tell if you had won any lots. If I knew I hadn't gotten the '21-P, there were other coins that I would like to have bid on, but there's only so much $$ in the old checkbook.

Ken, I wonder if, instead of gradeflation in the later dates, it's not just a case of many coins that are solid or high-end for the grade being in strong hands (holding out for even higher prices), while low-end pieces comprise much of what is being found at shows. Over the past year, I've sold off some common dates that were average to below average for the grade, but I've kept the nicer ones. I'm sure that there are others who feel that when the market's strong, it's a good time to "clean house", and unload some duplicates.

I'll be watching the Registry over the next couple of weeks to see if any of Al's Merc's appear in other sets.

image and Congrats, Al!!

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks evereyone for the kind words,the registry was a lot of fun,and hope Jim got hes 21,I will be checking out the sets to see if any coins look familiarimage.
    Im very happy with the results,And working with Mitch was a pleasant,smooth experience,
    Al
  • Options
    I agree with the gradeflation thought - we discussed that in another thread I believe - so much more comforting to those that collect and patiently wait for the "right" example. I too am quite pleased with the presumed value of the merc's at this point and yes it would be tough for someone to start from scratch around these times. I believe all of us posting so far are in possession of really nice merc's image

Al - most of your dimes fetched sterling numbers for you - but keep in mind you evidently were quite choosy with each one of them, as I know they were excellent examples for the grade etc.. Had they been gradeflated pieces while they would have definently sold for strong figures, I don't believe they would have come to what you realized.

Ken I was sure you'd pick up some dimes - being this show/auction was in your neck of the woods - but you summed it up well.

Jim - the 25-D in 64FB that B&M sold was nothing special imho you did well by NOT winning that example. I hope you won the 21-P in 65FB , it is as nice as my 65FB and I truly hope you did.......

Wayne, I may pass you this weekend - I am in possesion of a super gem 26-S in 65FB - I am just agonizing over the price - but may just sneak it into the registry.....and well may move up a notch image

I guess we wait now for greener pastures

Marc

Mercateers before Al's Merc;s soldimage

Mercateers after AL's Merc's soldimage
  • Options
    Well, Marc, I feel your pain. I called Heritage and learned that I did NOT win Al's '21-P. image I spoke with their webmaster, and apparently another bid was made for the same amount at about the same time. I didn't see any message that I had been outbid. I'm really disappointed, because I was reasonably certain that I had won it.

I sure haven't had much luck with internet bidding on the last few Mercs I need, and I don't see any decent ones in upcoming auctions. Guess I'll have to pursue coins other series to get my coin buying "fix".

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    Jim,

good lord - I really thought you had that one.....sorry to hear that...I actually wish I coulda told you now it was ugly in all honesty but I can't.

Marc
  • Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
    Whawazatnoise?

Something just roared by. Oh, I see now, that was Marc "sneaking" past me! Congrats Marc on the move up and the new 26-S, that is a tough dime to find nice, and even tougher to afford.

Regards,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    Congrats on the '26-S, Marc. I remember you saying that you were agonizing over the cost, so it seems your collector instinct won out. image

Jim