Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Three winners announced for the 1980 Topps Baseball contest

Thanks to a slight bit of plagiarism with Gemmintman's Kellogg's Kontest I found a reasonable set of guidelines to create some rules for this contest.image I guess it's not so bad to do that since I'm crediting my source in the headnote,however.image

I am offering a 1980 Topps Baseball contest in order to promote further good will and harmony in the collecting community.As well,it's a little way to say thanks to eveyone I've encountered in my pursuit of this set.

In order to be eligible for this contest you must be either a new collector of the set,have one registered,or be someone that has been thinking of collecting the set but needs a little kick.For those of you who don't have the set on the registry you will have a week from today to register it 04/02/04.

(You only need one card to register.image )

It's easy! Just answer the following five questions and e-mail your answers to these questions to the e-mail address in my profile (See my sunglasses?).Be sure to make a note in the e-mail title of the contest. If all five answers are correct you win 4 free PSA 8s NQ!!Also,one of the cards offered to the winner has a shot at crossing into a 9.

Due to what is expected this probably won't be a smash hit contest, so I am limiting the winner of one to win everything.So get to work quickly,or you might miss out. This contest will end on 4/04/04 at 12:00 midnight (Eastern Standard Time) and the winner will be announced anytime on 04/05/04 after all facts and figures are reviewed.

There may be more than one possible answer for some questions.

1) Why is the 1980 Topps Baseball set considered a modern set and not a vintage set?

(Optional Bonus question to # 1) Do you think it's a vintage or modern set?

2) Who is the Dark Evil Force trying to increase and cheer the participants in the 1980TBB Society?
3) How many variations have been discovered and documented from the set?
4) Which players are still active in MLB today either as player,coach or manager?
5) Why are you interested in the persuit of building a 1980 Topps Baseball set?

(Optional Bonus question) how many cards are needed to finish the set in 8 or better or possibly 9?Hint:go to profile and click on about me link to fairly accurate information left off from 12/24/03.

me link short cut with link to retired set

Good luck to all contestants...

Comments

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Define "active as a player"? If a player was on a roster at the end of last season and has not retired but is currently a free agent, is he still active as a player?

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Hey whatever happened to the great Jose Canseco contest recently run by the famous Zardoz ???

I answered quite well and expected to hear the results, most certainly in my favor, anyone know whats up ?

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭

<< <i>Define "active as a player"? If a player was on a roster at the end of last season and has not retired but is currently a free agent, is he still active as a player?

Nick >>

Nick,
    A reasonable amount or ideally a thorough amount of what can be found for Player,Manager,pitching,batting coach broadcaster,or anything else in your opinion that appears to be viewed as "Active"In MLB 2004.

• Options
    OK.I think with a few of the dark clouds above some issues and the occasional scattered showers.(You know the ones that come and go beyond our control.) this silly little contest could be something where anyone can take a step back from those things and have some fun like we all used to with our pieces of cardboard.image

So now it's time to sweeten the Pot a little for any person who can give - a reasonable shot and honest try to flexibly answer the questions fairly and meet the requirements asked for.A shorter way to say it is- this nothing little contest is open to everyone who tries to have fun with it.Points are occasionally given for creativity and interesting stories.

Well,there is plenty of time,so here is what you get for having fun,trying nothing but getting something.image

All of which have a scan in the you know where.....Let the grades fall as they are.The Baylor is nice and so is the Hatcher Rookie.Everything else is up for your judgement.

1980 TOPPS 166 GLENN ABBOTT MARINERS PSA 8
    1980 TOPPS 212 DAVE ROBERTS PIRATES PSA 8
    1980 TOPPS 234 VERN RUHLE ASTROS PSA 9
    1980 TOPPS 266 BERNIE CARBO CARDINALS PSA 9
    1980 TOPPS 285 DON BAYLOR ANGELS PSA 9
    1980 TOPPS 303 BILL CASTRO BREWERS PSA 9
    1980 TOPPS 391 TONY ARMAS OAKLAND PSA 8 1/2 (Last I knew)
    1980 TOPPS 419 VIC CORRELL REDS PSA 9
    1980 TOPPS 448 JIM WOHLFORD BREWERS PSA 9
    1980 TOPPS 496 SILVIO MARTINEZ STL PSA 8 1/2(last I knew)
    1980 TOPPS 627 PEDRO BORBON SF GIANTS PSA 9
    1980 TOPPS 679 MICKEY HATCHER ROOKIE DODGERS PSA 8

Thanks for everything! image
  • Options
    Edited to remove my answers.
    Email sent. Didn't read instructions correctly and posted my answers.
    Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better
  • Options
    Eric, you are well in the ballpark.

Nice going but there is a little more depth and plenty of time to research.image

E-mail me when you get all of your answers togethor.

Love your # 2 response.image
  • Options
    Just a few more days till it's over.

Thanks for the interesting stories!
  • Options
    Heh.what a turnout.image

It's ending tonight so get your answers in.

Just do the best you can as an "E" for effort appears to be coming into play.

Thanks for the great stories.

• Options
    Since a few have added replies to their answers but have not thoroughly completed each question I think this contest just might turn into a split of 4. Really it's leaning towards 3 candidates. One is topping the other two and leaving #4 way behind.

Surprisingly some informative and interesting replies.For that I hope to thank the top three somehow for their effort for detail.

I'll have to consult the board of Judges.Possibly.

Thanks for the fun!

• Options
    Well,I was going to announce the winners tomorrow night but decided to do it now since earlier today the final top three were outstanding in their replies and stories.

The reason being that there are 3 winners instead of just one is that nobody could answer every single question and I really think these three people deserve something for their effort to give it the best shot.

First prize and please don't be offended if I got your last name wrong,John.

John Gillies wins first place for the most effort and elaborate reply(s).

Congrats John!This group of cards should get the ball rolling a little over 1% image

1980 TOPPS 166 GLENN ABBOTT MARINERS PSA 8
    1980 TOPPS 212 DAVE ROBERTS PIRATES PSA 8
    1980 TOPPS 266 BERNIE CARBO CARDINALS PSA 9
    1980 TOPPS 285 DON BAYLOR ANGELS PSA 9
    1980 TOPPS 391 TONY ARMAS OAKLAND PSA 8 1/2 (Last I knew)
    1980 TOPPS 419 VIC CORRELL REDS PSA 9
    1980 TOPPS 448 JIM WOHLFORD BREWERS PSA 9
    1980 TOPPS 496 SILVIO MARTINEZ STL PSA 8 1/2(last I knew)
    1980 TOPPS 627 PEDRO BORBON SF GIANTS PSA 9

Second place.

The great Jaxxr.

He's such a character in his reply who is flat out just an interesting read nomatter what the subject and he deserves to win something for his effort.

Congrats!

You win the #2 lot of a PSA 9 and a PSA 8 well worth thinking about resubmitting.(You'll see when you get the card and if you decide to try it on a $5 special.

1980 TOPPS 234 VERN RUHLE ASTROS PSA 9
    1980 TOPPS 679 MICKEY HATCHER ROOKIE DODGERS PSA 8

And last but not least none other than the Angel man with the first complete Angels Team set Mr.Eric AKA CreeperKat.

Sorry Eric but at this time I don't have any upgrades to that monster set of Angels,but since you gave the best answers to one or more of the questions(Right or wrong) they were well worth the read and you deserve something for it.

You win a Career Brewers Pitcher PSA 9

1980 TOPPS 303 BILL CASTRO BREWERS PSA 9

Good luck in building these sets and I look forward to contributing to them.

Please email your addresses so I can ship out your prizes shortly.

And thanks for participating!image

• Options
    Where are the winners?
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Any contest that I win which requires any degree of skill, must be fixed !!!!

I would like a recount, a recall, a mistrial, or whatever. A special commision on elections / contests should be formed. The possible "hanging schads" on the ballots or cards muct be investigated. Perhaps the Gov. of Fla., Jeb Bush could lead a blue-ribbon panel into looking for fraud, trickery, and other other problems with the infamous 1980 BB contest.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    Sometimes knowledge and a few words can certainly be surprising,Jack.As surprising enough( the same as it is to you to find out you won a prize.)

Heh.You had nothing to lose for trying.

• Options
    Greetings,

I just wanted to drop a note here, being the new guy on the boards I feel like I hit a home run. Thanks to Rob for his contest and helping remind me why I enjoy this hobby.

Thanks again!

John
  • Options
    CreeperKatCreeperKat Posts: 393 ✭✭
    Rob,

Sorry for my sudden disappearance. I recently moved and I'm stuck with dialup image until the local phone company gets out here. I'll send you my address via PM.

Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better
  • Options
    jax and John,your cards went out today.

Eric,no problem.I knew it would only be a matter of time before you discovered this.

I'll get your house warming gift in the mail shortly.