Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I quit

I've had enough of this. I came from a forum filled with hatred and cuss, expecting a nice place to come to, I went here, tried my best to help people, and came here. I've only been here a few weeks, but I'm really upset from some of the people here. I can only try my best folks, and I've been mis led in many directions. For example I was recently to bossy for someone, as it was an accident, I apologized to him though private messages, he said no problem,everything was OK. Then he goes and posts on the lightside, saying that I have no right to say this to him, oncesoever, and saying I am "running" this place, as, a complete jerk. I then PM and ask him what's going on, and he says I'm doing fraud and "It's over". I'm not going to give out his name, or anyone's name; as I don't want to offend anyone.

However, I must thank all to have helped me. I can't bare to post at any more forums. There is a complete pattern; everyone attacking me. Yet other people have become completely nice, only to ignore me and harass me in private messages.

Farewell.

NOTE: I ment to post this thread here, not in the US coin section. As I know more people here.

Comments

• Options
    I haven't checked the forums for a few days, so I'm not for sure what the situation is, but you should give the forums another chance. I have been here for more than 2 years (despite what my title currently saysimage) and 99% of the people I have met have been really nice.

P.S. - If nothing else, hide out here (in the World Coin Forum).
    New alias since i'm locked out of my hookedoncoins accountimage
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    GCL I'm not going to argue if you're right or wrong. My personal opinion is that there have been some mistakes from your part,
    but the forum also displayed a low level of tolerance. As I've already told you,
    you shouldn't allow other people's remarks to influence your mood, especially the ones from the cyberspace,
    because if you do, you give everybody else the power to make you feel happy or unhappy.
    Ignore the comments, keep a low profile and try to learn. It's liberating!
    You've already received plenty of valuable info on various subjects,
    such as the restrikes, some Japanese lessons,or the whole deal with Anacs.
    You have the right to choose the threads you want to read and ignore the ones you don't.
    What exactly makes you think that other forums will be better? This is a great place to learn,
    and with time, by getting to know the members, a place to have fun as well. JMHO.

Dimitri

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I was one of the first and most harsh attackers. I believed at that time (and still strongly suspect) that you were a troll who had come here with no other motive than to jerk our chains. When you began to ask questions about having a coin that you damaged, sent off for grading, I thought you were trying to pass of a damaged coins as problem free. I also formed the opinion that you were looking for a handout. In short, I developed a very negitive opinion of you in a very brief period of time.

I have seen nothing to cause me to think that any of the opinions I have formed are incorrect. At the same time I would never want to do anything to give a negitive impression of the Darkside to a new member who is really looking for help, advice or just a cool place to hang out. If I am wrong about ALL of the above opinions then I am honestly very sorry for the way I acted and would welcome you here. I believe time will tell. Until then I am going to step away from the issue and see what happens.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>There is a complete pattern; everyone attacking me. >>

Think about that.

I am reminded of a fellow recruit at Ft. Ord many years ago who always marched in step, even when the rest of us were out of step.imageimageimage
    Roy

• Options
    I urge you to stick around. You don't have to be a big poster but don't be afraid to ask questions if you can't figure something out. I believe you're a young collector, if I'm not mistaken, and natural impatience and naivete can sometimes lead others to make inaccurate assumptions. Like Aethelred said, time will tell. This is a good place to practice patience and tolerance and as you can see you are not the only one that sometimes needs practice. image "Sticks and stones..."
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It can be difficult to break into an established group and can be harder for some than others.

With luck they'll know you by 1,000 posts, and if not accept you by 10,000 , then at least accept
    that you ain't goin' nowhere.image

This forum's easier than the lite side.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    You mean to say I'm famous with my lack of fame? image
    4 765 of 50 971 (9.35%) complete image

First DAMMIT BOY! 25/9/05 (Finally!)

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin

• Options

<< <i>It can be difficult to break into an established group and can be harder for some than others.

With luck they'll know you by 1,000 posts, and if not accept you by 10,000 , then at least accept
    that you ain't goin' nowhere.image

This forum's easier than the lite side. >>

Dang, I need 1000 posts for people to know me?image
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Dang, I need 1000 posts for people to know me?

And you are...?

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options

<< <i>Dang, I need 1000 posts for people to know me?

And you are...?

at a thousand posts

image >>

• Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    I must agree with the others in saying at first no one knew your intentions. We have had many come to the forums with a single purpose and that was to cheat and deceive others. I didn't see your very first post here and was not aware that you were a minor, which makes me feel worse, because I have great patients with young people. This explains a lot to me as far as the content in your posts and in knowing this reminds me of the mistakes I made as a young person and even as a old sod learning ropes in the coin world and in life. Many if us here have been lost or not familiar with the coin world and have asked questions that have just drove the more experienced collectors nuts! But learning is hard and the best thing to do is take the information you wanted and throw the rest outimage

So, I will tell you what I have told many young people I have trained, served with, worked with and to my own children. DON'T QUIT! When you quit not only does the opposition beat you; you also beat yourself. Please don't give up! I know this is easier said than done but do not let a faceless forum dictate how you feel. It is a known fact that it is very hard to tell a person's true feelings on a internet forum when all you see are typed words and no facial expressions to go with them or eyes to read into.

If anything else chalk this up to a learning experienceimage Understand that we here are very willing to help anyone. However, we will not lie or candy coat the truth. If you want an honest opinion then this is what you will get. Please don't leave instead may I suggest you take a step back and watch for a bit but please just don't give up!
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    I have slightly more than 1,000 posts and some people do not know me, while others know of me and still others know me well, sorta. I come here every day and read many of the threads though not all. And still I am not famous.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options

<< <i> And still I am not famous. >>

That's because you haven't chosen your title.
  • Options
    Well, I've been thinkin about it a lot lately.
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I thought "Choose your tile" was your chosen title.

PS - GCL - don't leave, there's much to learn here
  • Options

<< <i>I thought "Choose your tile" was your chosen title.

PS - GCL - don't leave, there's much to learn here >>

No, I'm one of very few that can change his/her title at will. (once)
  • Options
    Well said MSD!
    Might I add that it seems that some people have so much extra time on their hands that they go beyond the hobby subjects to tease and aggravate their colleagues, and other suspected suspects, here just because they can. Blow it off and stick to the hobby threads. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. ;-)
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    I would agree that you shouldn't quit.

However, no matter what your age is you need to learn to be like a duck. Most of the comments here should roll off your back like water from a duck. A person should define themselves by their actions and beliefs and not by the opinions of others. Those opinions are important, humans are social animals and this is a community.

That said, I for one participate here because the community is pleasant and reciprocal. But like most communities you are new to it is good advice to speak little and listen a lot. I spent over 2 months lurking without saying a word until I thought I might have something to say. Even then I'm sure I offended a few unintentionally.

Watching the community showed me that it is occasionally the object of people who wish to take advantage of its generosity. You may have inadvertently come across as one of those people. Because we only have the written word to define most of our relationships you may need to repair some first impressions gone awry.

Or you can get peeved and leave...
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    docday2003, you new here? Haven't seen you here before, and don't know ya.
  • Options
    My feelings are that the main purpose of a forum like this is to learn from others, and to share your knowledge when it applies. To think that the quantity of your posts relates somehow to your knowledge or understanding of a subject, is a very poor method of measurement.

GCL asked advice numerous times about the same subject; He was given honest advice countless times, but like many youngsters, if you don’t get the answer you want, just keep asking. The best advice that I could give to him is to Slow down, Listen, Read, and Learn. All of us were beginners at one time, and the collectors with real knowledge about collecting took the time to learn. I have collected for many years, but I still read a lot, listen, and still learn about collecting.

I would recommend that you put part of your money toward a few books about whatever you choose to collect. My second suggestion would be to find a local Coin Club, join it, and learn. You seem to want to argue the question about having a damaged coin graded, since you admit that you are just learning, Listen to the advice, don’t argue with the experts!

This forum is a great source of knowledge; it is full of people who are both friendly and generous. I read almost every post, but respond to very few.

Bob
    I like Ikes!! But I especially like Viking Ships, Swedish Plate Money, and all coins Scandinavian.
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>My feelings are that the main purpose of a forum like this is to learn from others, and to share your knowledge when it applies. To think that the quantity of your posts relates somehow to your knowledge or understanding of a subject, is a very poor method of measurement.

GCL asked advice numerous times about the same subject; He was given honest advice countless times, but like many youngsters, if you don’t get the answer you want, just keep asking. The best advice that I could give to him is to Slow down, Listen, Read, and Learn. All of us were beginners at one time, and the collectors with real knowledge about collecting took the time to learn. I have collected for many years, but I still read a lot, listen, and still learn about collecting.

I would recommend that you put part of your money toward a few books about whatever you choose to collect. My second suggestion would be to find a local Coin Club, join it, and learn. You seem to want to argue the question about having a damaged coin graded, since you admit that you are just learning, Listen to the advice, don’t argue with the experts!

This forum is a great source of knowledge; it is full of people who are both friendly and generous. I read almost every post, but respond to very few.

Bob >>

Thanks. But remainly the thing that is so hard for me is ignorance. A person on these forums by the name of laurentyvan we both had a great conversation on private messages. Then I PM him and ask him what's going on, and I haven't heard a response in days. From that point on he's totally ignored me, hasn't responded in any of my threads since then that I know of, and hasn't replied. It totally disfigures me that I tried my best to make friends with this person, who happened to be in vietname too helping our war, and now he just ignores me and hates me. I can't stand it.

• Options
    Goldcoinlover,
    In the case of the non-response from the forum member, unfortunately, all you have to go on is the silence.
    It's easy to assume all kinds of things for that, but it's also possible the worst we suspect may not be true.
    I think it best just to leave the perogative to him/her to respond-- maybe just a final email from you just to say you hope there was no offense taken, or something like that. Then just leave the ball in their court.
  • Options
    You will learn, that there could be many reasons for non response. Personally, I travel quite often to customers all over the US, and even around the world with no advance warning. There are times that I am just not able to return messages.

You need to develop a way to give the other person the benefit of the doubt. Who knows why someone doesn’t answer, but let it go, and don’t take everything so personal in life.

This will be my last comment regarding this, and if you can’t take suggestions from forum members, maybe this is not the place for you.

Bob
    I like Ikes!! But I especially like Viking Ships, Swedish Plate Money, and all coins Scandinavian.
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>docday2003, you new here? Haven't seen you here before, and don't know ya.
    image >>

imageimageimageimage

Oh oh, now I'm over 1000 posts, and still haven't ever done a giveaway! Yikes.
  • Options
    oh ohhhhhh!
  • Options
    I know I have attacked nobody for starters.

Second, I would not let one individual drive me from a place that I want to be.
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3