Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Differences in slab plastic

I have many PCGS slabs and a few from other companies ... In particular I've noticed that ANACS slabs seem to be a bit more scratch resistant than PCGS slabs. Any one else ever noticed a difference between the plastics used?

Also ... any trick to breaking out ANACS slabs image

(it is holding my new Canada 20c piece prisoner!)

Comments

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I sliced my thumb wide open breaking an ANACS slab not long ago!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    I don't notice any warning stickers on these slabs advising people not to crack them open, that it may be hazardous ... lawsuit ?????????

• Options

<< <i>
    Also ... any trick to breaking out ANACS slabs image
    >>

Sliced your thumb open? Ouch. I did something similiar. I was washing stuff down the garbage disposol in the sink and I switched it to on and serrated knives and forks got stuck in and were swirling around real fast. Mistakenly, I reached it and attempted to grab them out (without turning it off). The knife sliced underneath my nail and made a gash halfway underneath my nail image .

As for breaking the ANACS slab open, take a steel hammer and break it apart?
    ??
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    My technique for breaking slabs is to use a hammer. While firmly holding the plastic between thumb and fore finger over the coin "window", rest the slab on edge on a cement floor (garage floor), then gently tap the slab along the seam edge. [Picture standing a box of playing cards on edge.] Rotate and repeat on all four edges. The plastic halves will come apart without shattering. All you have to do is unstack the layers. I've done this with ANACS, NGC, ICG, SEGS, and PCI - yet to try a PCGS slab.

HTH,

Gene
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I use pliers on the corners to crack them. Then use a flat tip screwdriver to pry it apart.
  • Options
    mongoosemongoose Posts: 589 ✭✭
    I use a 14" pair of bolt cutters on corners, then the slab comes apart easily.
    Joe
  • Options
    <<I use a 14" pair of bolt cutters on corners, then the slab comes apart easily. >>

I use the same method!
    Corrupting youth since 2004
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    In my experience, a tiny bit of C4 at one corner does fine. The only problem is that it's sometimes hard to find the coin afterwards.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    I like that one Jester! image I'll have to try and remember it if I ever get a slab. image
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have a bench vise your that. Squeeze the slab a little and it breaks apart very easily. No flying pieces also.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    I've seen some one take the slab outside a hotel room to the wooden deck, stick it between the decking boards, and stomp on it to open the slab....

HMM, who was that? image
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I sliced my thumb wide open breaking an ANACS slab not long ago!

No blood on the coin, I hope.image

I use pliers and wear safety glasses (no joke, glad I do!).
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've seen some one take the slab outside a hotel room to the wooden deck, stick it between the decking boards, and stomp on it to open the slab....

HMM, who was that? image >>

I don't recall that at all, was beer involved?image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I've seen some one take the slab outside a hotel room to the wooden deck, stick it between the decking boards, and stomp on it to open the slab....

HMM, who was that? image >>

I don't recall that at all, was beer involved?image >>

As quoted from another thread, yes there was beer, but no they don't drink....... image Must be one of them Georgia 'CoinCrackers"
    Monday March 22, 2004 6:31 PM (NEW!)

Yup. Remember the coin put between the boards of the porch and cracked out with my shoe while we were in Orlando for the FUN show? That was a PCI.

PCI green label MS62 1904 USA $20 Liberty. PCGS slabbed it MS64. I had $450 in it. Just sold it for $1,260. Cha-ching.

PCI cracks out real good.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    My guess is that all slabs fall within the polycarbonate family of plastics. Maybe condor knows. Some could use acrylic. Actually, even the polycarbs could be coated with an extremely scratch resistant coating which would keep the slabs looking good even with quite a bit of abuse.....

Cracking? I use a bench vise. PCGS tend to be more resistant due to the profile.