Home U.S. Coin Forum

if a friend bids on a coin you intended to snipe...poll..updated with sniped object in question phot

mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
is it bad form to snipe it anyway?

Comments

• mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    ttt
  • Isn't auction collusion illegal? That is conspiring to bid or not bid in tandem.
    Buy/Sell/Trade Rainbow Morgans
  • MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing personal, just business.
    Thanksgiving National Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024 at the Eisenhower Allstar Sportsplex, Gettysburg, PA. Tables are available. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
    not talking about colusion....talking about decideing which one of us 2 is willing to give in to the other.
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I always talk to Russ before I snipe a coin away from him!!!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• foodudefoodude Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭
    Am I bidding against Marty, Russ, or someone elseimage
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I always talk to Russ before I snipe a coin away from him!!! >>

Lying sack.

<< <i>if a friend bids on a coin you intended to snipe >>

There are only enemies in sniping.

Russ, NCNE
  • I thought this out once and asked the person how high they were honestly willing to go. A friend should tell you the truth and the price is not run up unnecessarly. I'm just not sure how ethical this is for the seller.
  • You said there were only 3 minutes to go. I don't think we're going to have time to talk about it and if I've been watching it all week I probably want it pretty bad. I've been in this position before and I didn't sweat it. In my case, they still beat me out 'cause they wanted it worse that I did.
  • If I knew someone else really, really wanted a particular coin, I wouldn't have the heart to snipe it.

That is why I don't look at the bidders listimage
    imageimageimage

imageimage

<< <i>

<< <i>I always talk to Russ before I snipe a coin away from him!!! >>

Lying sack.

<< <i>if a friend bids on a coin you intended to snipe >>

There are only enemies in sniping.

Russ, NCNE >>

ok then ....i'll do it ....but someones gonna be ticked!image
  • damn the torpedos, full speed ahead.
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Capitalism at its best snipe it!
  • You have to learn to keep your user id secret or keep a second, private one available image
  • gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    My policy is that if someone alerts me to an auction that I otherwise did not know about, I'll always check with them to see if they intend to bid on the item. If they do, I back off.

If I've already identified an item and someone else happens to mention it, then it's fair game in my opinion.

Having said all of that, if it's just 'stuff' but a good friend really wants it, I say let 'em buy the item.....or buy it for them and pass it along at cost.

GSAGUY
  • You can be a gentleman and not bid/snipe, but you have no way to ensure that no one else will, and the end result is that neither one of you will have the coin.
  • merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    I would E-mail him and talk about it.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • I figure that if I get it for the snipe I entered, he didn't want it as bad as I did...

• K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Wow, I'm really surprised by the answers to this. If I knew a friend had already had bid on something and wanted it, I would let them take it and wouldn't bid against them.

I have had occasions where I have bid against friends, but that always happens when both of us snipe and neither one of us mentioned the coin to the other. In that case there isn't much you can do.
  • Wouldn't you feel silly if one of you won and the other was the underbidder $100 higher then the second underbidder?

<< <i>Wouldn't you feel silly if one of you won and the other was the underbidder $100 higher then the second underbidder? >>

No.

Russ, NCNE
  • I would.
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    Let him have it, there's always another streetcar coming down the line. Russ doesn't know it, but there were a couple of AH Kennedys I back off of knowing he was interested.
    USAF vet 1951-59
    too late....i'm a bad boy!imageimagei got it

oh by the way this coin is rare enough that no known mint state coins have been discovered.
    that kind of shoots the theory "another one will come along" in the foot ...don't it!image
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who let Russ vote 27 times?????????
    3 for meanness and 24 for snipe anyway!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

i guess now i go to the penalty box and feel bad for 2 minutes.....ah now that thats over .....

I GOT IT ....I GOT IT!......I GOT IT !..................NEENER NEENER NEENER!image
  • merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Well are you going to tell us what it is ?
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    This is not anything personal, but the damn coin is MINE!!!!
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Three minutes doesn't give you a lot of time to email. Snipe away. It's just a coin for cripes sake. It's not his kid or anything.
    okay i'll tell................ 1924-s rpm # 1

in 5 years of watching ebay this is the only one i've seen. (now they'll fall outta the wood work)

but i dont care!....image
  • Don't know a darn thing about 'em...
  • damn the torpedos and snipe anyway.

Then talk about it as you have already invested your time, and research and patience and POW here the other guy shows up. So I say snipe it then talk about it and tell him what went down. And if he is truly your friend he will enjoy your satisfaction about aquiring it within your "Circle" and not have it lost by both of you.image
  • Let me express it mildly...When it comes to coins, I'd cut my own mother's throat.image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • coneca reference or you can do a die variety search here for values.www.coppercoins.com A very nice and rare coin I was not aware of.
  • Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    I will snipe it immidiatelyimage
  • PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭
    Just this past week Russ told me he was watching a certain two center and being the professional I am, I did not let myself bid. On acct hairs, it's every person/bovine for themselves.

Joe

BTW, what's a two center?image
    BTW BTW, because of the way that Russ speaks about his dumbazz boss, does anyone else besides me think he's self-employed?image
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image

• << <i>not talking about colusion....talking about decideing which one of us 2 is willing to give in to the other. >>

Knowingly or not...I think that falls under collusion. Lawyers help me out....I think if the seller found out you did that, and really wanted to, he could claim collusion because the possibility of not getting a higher price was agreed upon by two parties....

Fine line...legally speaking....
  • jasbucksjasbucks Posts: 127 ✭✭
    What is to snipe as it applies to coins?
    Jack
  • sniping is putting in a last second bid. There is software that allows you to set up your bid earlier, then it will automatically enter it with just a few seconds left.

Mike

<< <i>What is to snipe as it applies to coins? >>

Sometimes rare coins hide in the woods and it is necessary to beat the bushes with sticks and make a lot of noise to chase them out so your buddy can catch them in a burlap bag.

Russ, NCNE
  • jasbucksjasbucks Posts: 127 ✭✭
    Thanks Mike & Russ
    Jack

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file