Home U.S. Coin Forum

Post a pic of an extremely good AT Monster Rainbow Morgan Dollar

I'd like to see examples of the VERY BEST WORK that AT "coin doctors" can produce (not the cheap crap you see on EBAY every day). Explain why it's fake, and how it was faked. The more details, the better.

Will anyone step up to the challenge?

BTW--I'd like to thank the dealers and collectors that are attempting to make life harder for the "coin dr.'s." I can't believe the way you guys are getting slammed on this board. As the old saying goes: "No good deed shall go unpunished."
Buy/Sell/Trade Rainbow Morgans

Comments

• K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Here you go. Instead of me explaining why and how it is AT, let's see if anyone can come up with the answers. I'll post them if no one comes up with them.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a date thats not known for toning and unless it was stored under unusual circumstances that particular color is not commonly found as the sole color on toned Morgans.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Great post K6AZ. That one would have fooled me 100 times out of a hundred!
  • TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    This one aint toned, but can you figure what wrong with it?
    Tom
  • byergobyergo Posts: 586
    Trooper: number tooled?
  • FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    The colors just don't look right on Eric's dollar - notice that they just don't blend evenly
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    Frank, what does a dog know about coins.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Well, doesn't look like a lot of takers on this thread.

Frank, you nailed one of the diagnostics. Also note how the color goes over and into the numerals in the date without any change of color.

Coins AT'ed in this manner can be quite deceptive. The method is using gun blue, by adding strong pigments to gun blue you can come up with the various colors you see on this coin. Then a quick bake job on a hotplate, and voila! A tonecoin2003 special. Actually, I shouldn't say that. His work isn't this good.
  • manlye1manlye1 Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    Cigar smoke?
    K6
    When i first saw your coin, i thought it was a relfection that i was seeing and that was the AT. It keep comming to my mind that i was seeing that. Must be the beers.....Great explaniation on yours.

Tom
    Oh
    By the way..Mines fake..So it's a whole AT job.

Tom

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file